TPMS saved me, and Belle Tire is great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like most here, I'm of the opinion that TPMS is a better technology on paper than it actually is to live with on a vehicle. So... walking outside to my Sedona this morning, arms full of coffee and other work essentials, I open the drivers door and notice that it seemed easier getting into the vehicle than normal, like it was lower or something. Being in a morning fog and allergies getting the best of my attention, I shrugged it off. I fired up the van and was about to reset my odometer for the day, when suddenly I notice the low pressure light on for the drivers side rear tire. Sure enough, its flat. I have no idea how I missed it, but I did. I'm sure I would've noticed it soon after rolling off anyhow, but it may have damaged the rim. So, I guess in this case, TPMS wasn't so bad.

The tire had a bolt through the shoulder, and was not safely able to be patched. So I replaced the bad tire with a Falken Sincera in the 225 70r16 size. The salesman gave me a $20 coupon just for the heck of it, without me asking. All in all, it was $94 and change OTD for a large tire with an 80,000 mile warranty. Plus, they installed it in no time at all. Sucks that I got a flat, my first in seven years, but all is well again.

Last edited:
I was ready to be the average Luddite on the Internet who complained about TPMS, but on my Sonata it has pretty much worked perfectly. Two times it alerted me to slow leaks that weren't detectable by looking at the tire.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I was ready to be the average Luddite on the Internet who complained about TPMS, but on my Sonata it has pretty much worked perfectly. Two times it alerted me to slow leaks that weren't detectable by looking at the tire.
Same here, except it was once. Ironically, the TPMS assembly was the cause of the leak, though...

Good to hear that they got you in and out...

Belle suddenly seems to be doing better than discount around here...though it really does depend on location...

Sucks about the tire though...

Two vehicles, 8 tires, 1 flat in 7 years. You think that TPMS is great then the extra cost is justifiable to you.

If I buy a new vehicle I wish that TPMS is an option, not a forced feature that I don't need.

stephen9666,
What is the manufacture date of your GLS? I think mine is December '06 (I bought Feb '07) and it did not come with TPMS. There is a spot on cluster for it but never any lights and no sensors in wheels from when I bought it. For driving safety I'd actually prefer it to be there. I've seen many cars on side of road with shredded tire from low pressure. I think from road trip with family side where I'm driving 2-3 hours. Pick up a nail early and you won't know until it's too late too save tire.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Good to hear that they got you in and out...

Belle suddenly seems to be doing better than discount around here...though it really does depend on location...

Sucks about the tire though...

It all depends on location I.e staff there! Both belle tire and discount tire by my home are pretty good no complaints!

TPMS would have been great if they would have made a standard sensor and programming for every car, instead of leaving it to the vehicle manufacturer. And no one ever mentions that TPMS will be way to late to tell you that you just ran over a big chunk of something that caused your tire to deflate immediately. By the time you notice the light you are already upside down.

Originally Posted By: Sequoiasoon

stephen9666,
What is the manufacture date of your GLS? I think mine is December '06 (I bought Feb '07) and it did not come with TPMS. There is a spot on cluster for it but never any lights and no sensors in wheels from when I bought it. For driving safety I'd actually prefer it to be there. I've seen many cars on side of road with shredded tire from low pressure. I think from road trip with family side where I'm driving 2-3 hours. Pick up a nail early and you won't know until it's too late too save tire.

Is your car considered a model year 2006 or 2007?

I just did a quick google search and found multiple posts online saying 2006 Sonatas do not have TPMS. I found another post saying early 2007 Sonatas don't have TPMS, either.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/181-nf-2006-2010-sonata/108798-tpms-2006-lx.html

Is your car considered a model year 2006 or 2007?

I just did a quick google search and found multiple posts online saying 2006 Sonatas do not have TPMS. I found another post saying early 2007 Sonatas don't have TPMS, either.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/181-nf-2006-2010-sonata/108798-tpms-2006-lx.html

Mine is listed as '07 GLS 5 speed. Going on the links it definitely early '07 (and no factory XM antenna either). I wonder what ECU would need to be added or upgraded to get it working.

Around here, Belle Tire is disappointing while Discount Tire is top-notch. I likely won't be buying anything else from Belle Tire in the future...

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Around here, Belle Tire is disappointing while Discount Tire is top-notch. I likely won't be buying anything else from Belle Tire in the future...

Is it the service itself or the upsell?

The biggest issue I find with the "bad" BTs around here is that they upsell like crazy...

I went into one for a rotation of my tires (and noticed one of my rims were bent a little) and wanted to put on a new set of alloy wheels, tires, and change the struts/shocks due to milage, to the tune of like 1500 bucks. I just laughed and drove away. They could have sold me a steelie and made money on the rotation....

But, that same shop ( months later), I had them check something, and the pretty much adjusted the front end of my car for free, which was cool.

TPMS is routinely lambasted here but the fact is that each mfgr manages to implement it in a different way.

The system in my chrysler is flawless, individual readouts for each tire with an alert at 26 psi, and NEVER needs any tools or adjustments. 8 years of driving, 6 sets of tires and nothing ever needed. Still works perfectly.

I still don't get the ridiculous setup on my newer fleet trucks. I was forced to buy the tool or go to the stealership/tire store for recalibrations...

The system in my Magnum was dreadful. It didn't turn the light on until 22-23psi (at which point, the tire was visibly low), which is down TWELVE pounds of pressure! It also ate three sensors (at $120 a whack) in three years. Never again!

Another TPMS glitch, since it is not required to turn on the light until one tire is %25 low which would be around 23 psi on a car that should have 30 psi, now we have millions of drivers that maybe use to check their tires think everything is fine driving around all the time with low tires because the TPMS has not turned on the light.
I know some people that think after they drive their car a few miles the light will go out and it's okay. Paying attention to your tires and the way it feels works a lot better. Many people, including my wife have no clue what the light even means. Just a horseshoe with a explanation mark in the middle??? Sure some cars will tell you which tire and the pressure, but that was not required by law.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back