TPMS Anomaly?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
About 2 weeks ago, my tire pressure light came on and I quickly had my tires and the system checked. My tire gal said the tires were fine but that one sensor was bad. I decided to wait a bit before making the repair. The light remained on during the time I noticed the problem and today.

Today the light did not come on at all, even through several cycles of turning the engine off and on as I ran errands.

So, why might the light go off? Could there be a problem with the sensor other than the battery? Did the system somehow fix itself? Has this happened to anyone else?

How old are the sensors? I've seen a pressure monitor low battery cause theTPMS light to trip intermittently on an Infinity G35. Verified that through the TPMS trouble code scan.

On the 13 Sonata with TPMS, The tire light will come on and blink for a few minutes every few weeks - and the tires are always filled at 34psi… It has done this since I picked it up with 2000 some miles miles in 2019.

Years later and 60k plus miles this Tpms light has never gotten more consistent, so I have been waiting for the light to come on permanently before I replace the oem sensors and have new oem sensors synced up.

In my case, the battery in the sensors have enough juice 99% of the time, but when it gets really cold or hot I think it affects the volts in the battery and it throws the sensor code because lack of volts. A turn off and on reset or just ignore it for a few miles and it will go away….

I had an issue for years where the system would indicate a fault when I would drive the car—but not when my wife would. Eventually it stopped. Never did figure it out.

Without a readout showing all four pressures real time, its kinda hard to debug.

I'm not sure is the typical TPMS scanner/programmers shops use tell you anything other than low battery. They either work or they don't.

My point being, given she didn't say it showed low battery, something else is likely failing internal to that specific sensor.

I'm not sure is the typical TPMS scanner/programmers shops use tell you anything other than low battery. They either work or they don't.

My point being, given she didn't say it showed low battery, something else is likely failing internal to that specific sensor.
Toyota sensors (for one) have a low battery flag but it doesn't trip any lights visible to the driver.

It's a nice informational flag for mechanics doing their checkups/ upsells, particularly at new tire time.

I would test the system to make sure it's still working, let out a bunch of air on one of the tires to see if the light comes on.
That sounds like a good idea. I'll do that the next time I'm out with the car.

Hard to say without scan data. If you really want to know, take it to a shop that can read TPMS data.

I would test the system to make sure it's still working, let out a bunch of air on one of the tires to see if the light comes on.
I did that yesterday and the system appears to be working normally. Before removing some air, I checked the pressure in all of the tires and they were just as I set them a couple of weeks ago.

Well, I'll just drive on until another TPMS light illuminates the dash of the Camry.

I did that yesterday and the system appears to be working normally. Before removing some air, I checked the pressure in all of the tires and they were just as I set them a couple of weeks ago.

Well, I'll just drive on until another TPMS light illuminates the dash of the Camry.
Lot of people here don't bother to fix their TPMS when they stop working but I think it's one of the better safety features you can have. I figure it could save me the cost of a new tire if I can get pulled over fast enough not to ruin one, plus I don't always walk around and check my tires every time I go somewhere.

Back