TP getting narrower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm- that is a bit sneaky. If you were dead set on using regular TP you could just have a spacer plate machined (w/ holes for oil flow) that fits in your filter housing and takes up the slack. Not ideal, but it would allow you to continue using your bypass filter.

I like the statement on the package that this new TP is STRONGER than before. Conjures up interesting images. I interviewed to work at a TP factory coming out of college. You'd be amazed at how serious these people take their TP.

I would hate to go college to get a degree in advertising and your first job is to come up with a campaign to improve sales of TP.

We use that exact same brand, and when I went to replace a roll last week, I noticed the difference right away. That short little roll doesn't even look right sitting in the holder. It reminds me of a big fat guy wearing a shirt that's 3 sizes too small.

This website is loaded with so much useful information. So I get on here and do a lot of reading and finally decide to do a bypass oil filter setup on my '99 F150 using a MG TP filter. Seems like a good way to go. Get a roll of Scotts 1000, put it in the MG housing and what the heck?? The roll is too short. Okay so now I'm sitting here scratching my bald head wondering what to do next. At least I feel better knowing I'm not the only one exerpiencing this issue. So now my question, does anyone know what's the "second best" brand of TP to use as an oil bypass system? Hopefully we can find one that is still 4.5" wide, at a good price of course, and stock up.

Quote:
Okay so now I'm sitting here scratching my bald head wondering what to do next.

(thinking, for a second or two)

Hmm..while my first reaction was to fab something up to take up the slack, as long as the roll is seated "down" and the flow with it in that orientation is going up the center tube, I don't see the problem here.

I mean the center tube effectively baffles the flow to the end of the roll. The oil pressure should just push it "down" upon the bottom collar.

It's been a while since I played with one of these "dry" so to speak, but where am I off here?

That's what I've been thinking since this thread came up...not much different than a Gulf Coast, and the media only fills a portion of that housing as well.

As long as the roll is still snug around the center tube and inside the canister, I don't see the problem.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
That's what I've been thinking since this thread came up...not much different than a Gulf Coast, and the media only fills a portion of that housing as well.

As long as the roll is still snug around the center tube and inside the canister, I don't see the problem.

I hope you're right. At any rate, I searched my local Meijer store and found a stack of Scott that was an inch or two taller than all the other stacks. Pulled two four packs of 4.5" out of the bottom of the stack. That's eight more filter changes before I have to worry about it.

Do you guys fold the top sheet at 45 degrees to prevent oil from channeling through at the outside edge where the top sheet ends? I think Ralph Wood taught me that trick.

Quote:
Do you guys fold the top sheet at 45 degrees to prevent oil from channeling through at the outside edge where the top sheet ends? I think Ralph Wood taught me that trick.

54.gif
Even imagine me with one finger in my ear and another in my nose. I need to understand this.

Good thinking taxman. Maybe I can get so lucky and stock up also. So tell us about this folding trick. I can't quite picture what you're talking about.

This has nothing to do with short TP but has any of you ever tried turning a TP filter into an electrostatic filter? Looks like that would be the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:

confused.gif
Even imagine me with one finger in my ear and another in my nose. I need to understand this.

Oil path is axial. If you just stick the roll in, there's a line from top to bottom where the top sheet ends, and it's possible that oil will want to sneak along there instead of going through all the paper. Ralph suggested you could eliminate that small top to bottom tunnel by folding the top sheet back at an angle.

Originally Posted By: taxmantoo
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:

confused.gif

Oil path is axial. If you just stick the roll in, there's a line from top to bottom where the top sheet ends, and it's possible that oil will want to sneak along there instead of going through all the paper. Ralph suggested you could eliminate that small top to bottom tunnel by folding the top sheet back at an angle.

Then your path could/would be worse, traversing along the fold you just created...but at the angle of the fold, instead of parallel to the roll.

Short of being able to feather the end of the last sheet from sheet thickness to near zero, its not probable.

i dont want to sound like a know it all, but tp is made to disolve in water. when you burn gasoline in a engine it makes about a gal of water for each gal of gas. now if the water stays in the chamber no trouble. but if some goes past the rings, it might, i say might, cause trouble. now iam NOT an expert on these things, so i might be wrong.

the paper with oil is very strong, it does not fall apart.
The oil mostly does not have water, the tiny amount of water that it may have will get absorbed by the toilet paper, if the toilet paper gets changed anywhere from 2000 to 4000 miles depending on the engine, it will not be a problem, if the toilet paper is never changed than channels may develop and filter could get clogged.

Toilet paper is great for bypass filtering, you have to select very tightly would paper, the cheap loose would toilet paper is useless.

This comes up all the time, and the people who keep bringing it up seem to forget that paper saturated with oil doesn't allow the water to get to the paper fibers.

ok guys i didnt know that. it sure is nice that this site has so many guys that know so much, iam allways learning when i read this site, thanks

Regular OE oil filters are usually made with paper fibers. The TP filters are different from OE filters in that they all compress the TP with oil pressure. This helps to keep the fibers from escaping the roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back