Toyta 2zz-ge, Redline 10w-40, 3200 track +city mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my oil analysis sample of Redline 10w-40 in my 2001 Toyota Celica GT-S. This oil was tracked pretty hard including a non-stop 1 hour session (Thunderhill if anyon wanted to know). I have a Mocal oil cooler that kept temps around 210-220*F most of the time and peaked around 230*F during the early afternoon. The oil was slightly mixed with old leftover Chevron dino 5w-30 still in the oil cooler+lines that I could not drain out. In addition to the tracking the rest of the miles were short trips/city driving. It seems that the wear is really really good for track miles. It is almost a good as my old normal Mobil 1 at 6000miles (the M1 was not tracked). The oil filter was a K&N filter.
I'm guessing the loss in visc is due to the oil thinning out from shearing in the head and heat, I don't know if Here is the analysis:

-

[ January 12, 2005, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: 00 scrub ]

I think its a great report. Yet as in every RedLine report there is some kind of problem with this overpriced oil. Viscosity sheardown.
frown.gif

I'm not so upset about the visc shaerdown. The oil was run rather hard. A 1 hour non stop track run is pretty hard on the engine. The cams are cahin drivern as well. I didn't expect this oil to look this good.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I think its a great report. Yet as in every RedLine report there is some kind of problem with this overpriced oil. Viscosity sheardown.
frown.gif

I think you should reconsider.

Look at the additive levels. They aren’t very close to what Redline should be. RL doesn't use Boron yet there's 43ppm. Mo, Zn, P, and Si are all significanlty lower than what RL 10w40 usually shows.

I’d guess there is a lot more of the old oil in there than you think, which could be the main reason the viscosity is low.

Obviously, nice overall results. Because of this, however, that loss of vis is even more puzzling. There does not seem to be any other indication of a problem that would also lead to the vis loss. Indeed, maybe there was more of the 30 wt predessor oil than you originally thought.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to characterize this oil as "overpriced", though obviously there are some superior performers (GC comes readily to mind) that can be had for a good bit less. If you like it, and the price is acceptable to you, then it's up to you. At least based upon your results, the deviation in viscosity is harmless. Were it my car, this oil would remain on my list of acceptable oils.

Thanks for sharing the info.
cheers.gif

I personally am very happy. If you compare this to the previous Mobil 1 it is really amazing. This oil was beat hard. My engine was above 6000RPM (fuel cut is 8300rpm) for 100+ miles, including an entire 1 hour session of 5000+ RPMs. I was expecting something much worse.

I don't think the oil cooler holds that much oil. I remember filling it and it did not take more than a quart (although I spilled quite a bit while filling it.

quote:

I don't know if
Well ..1 quart in 5 or 6 of 20weight brings a 15w-40 down to a 30 weight easy enough. It would depend on how far RL extends into the 40 spec.

look here ..click on "Viscosity" and punch in the specs for both oils in the ratios that you think you have. It will puke out the new blend visc.

A nifty little tool someone here turned me on to.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back