Toyota YZZA1 Filter, 9,958mls

Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Guys, Here are few photos of Toyota YZZA1 (OE filter) after 9,958mls in 2015 Toyota SIenna. Oil used was Mobil1 5W30 EP. I did not cut it as I was in a bit of a rush, but this looks good to me. Oil sample for UOA is on its way to Blackstone. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
 

edyvw

Thread starter
Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by Linctex
Looks like it was installed yesterday!
Yeah, I was expecting it to do good, but you are right, I cannot see any deformation etc. Got 3 of them for $11 in dealership during some sale they had.
 
Messages
1,409
Location
texas
I've been using those for years. Ran one out to 15K miles on M1 EP and it still looked the same. Good glue and filter element. Thats why I stick with Toyota OEM. They are low cost AND good which is unusual for factory OEM parts.
 
Messages
3,199
Location
Western S.C.
Originally Posted by Linctex
Looks like it was installed yesterday!
Yep, and so did my Toyota YZZA6 cartridge that went over 18k. Nothing visible caught in it, other than a few tiny black (carbon?) particles.
 
Messages
817
Location
McGregor TX
I like those. I've used several in my wife's 2012 Highlander. Then again, as stated above, Toyotas seem to be easy on oil/filters regardless. I picked up some Frams on clearance at Tractor Supply for like 45 cents and they look fine coming out after 8-9K miles too. All things being equal, I'd buy the OEM Toyota filters. But I ran into deals on clearance filters (45 cent Frams at Tractor Supply and 75 cent Super Techs at Walmart), so I'm fully stocked for a while.
 
Messages
9,613
Location
Virginia
Hold on for just a minute... You mean to tell me that you actually did productive work ???? LOL That alone is really impressive LOL
 
Messages
12
Location
Central CT
I use these on my Camry. One of the best parts is they're cheap! I bought a case of them from Toyotapartsdeal.com. Filters are $3.86 each (x10 for the case) and another $10 for shipping and tax. So about $5 each all said and done. They were shipped from some dealer in Georgia if memory serves. The Carquest Standard filter from Advance is $6.99.
 

edyvw

Thread starter
Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by scotthershall
I use these on my Camry. One of the best parts is they're cheap! I bought a case of them from Toyotapartsdeal.com. Filters are $3.86 each (x10 for the case) and another $10 for shipping and tax. So about $5 each all said and done. They were shipped from some dealer in Georgia if memory serves. The Carquest Standard filter from Advance is $6.99.
As far as I have seen so far in one year of ownership of this vehicle, oil filters are going from $1.99 to $20'ish for TRD and similar. I got 3 filters on sale at dealership for $11 when I was buying block heater. On Amazon recently when I was ordering Toyota WS fluid I saw that there is 10-pack for $30 something. It really does not make sense to use anything else considering how this filter did and price. Only thing I hate about oil change on this engine is position of filter and how messy it is. Regardless of that plastic straw, it is just messy. Then, in process of releasing oil I somehow always manage to get some oil on exhaust pipe that runs there, and than regardless that clean it with tissue and I pressure wash it after, it smells for several days on burnt oil.
 
Messages
544
Location
Roswell GA
Originally Posted by edyvw
[quote=scotthershall] Regardless of that plastic straw, it is just messy. Then, in process of releasing oil I somehow always manage to get some oil on exhaust pipe that runs there, and than regardless that clean it with tissue and I pressure wash it after, it smells for several days on burnt oil.
I have an Avalon hybrid with the filter like that and agree it can be a mess. I don't even use the straw; just undo it and let it drip a bit, then unscrew it the rest of the way. I read the straw instructions and thought "This is not going to end well" wink which probably says more about me than I want to reveal but...So, old school it is. Suggestion: when done, use brake cleaner to spray the splatters/drips. I often have used brake cleaner (on this and other cars over the last 50+ years) on a paper towel or shop towel to do a wipe down, especially on an exhaust pipe of any sort or where it can drip on one, e.g., from a frame member or control arm. It gets rid of almost all the oil mess so no waiting for it burn off. HTH
 

edyvw

Thread starter
Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by eagle23
Originally Posted by edyvw
[quote=scotthershall] Regardless of that plastic straw, it is just messy. Then, in process of releasing oil I somehow always manage to get some oil on exhaust pipe that runs there, and than regardless that clean it with tissue and I pressure wash it after, it smells for several days on burnt oil.
I have an Avalon hybrid with the filter like that and agree it can be a mess. I don't even use the straw; just undo it and let it drip a bit, then unscrew it the rest of the way. I read the straw instructions and thought "This is not going to end well" wink which probably says more about me than I want to reveal but...So, old school it is. Suggestion: when done, use brake cleaner to spray the splatters/drips. I often have used brake cleaner (on this and other cars over the last 50+ years) on a paper towel or shop towel to do a wipe down, especially on an exhaust pipe of any sort or where it can drip on one, e.g., from a frame member or control arm. It gets rid of almost all the oil mess so no waiting for it burn off. HTH
Did not think of that. Have CRC brake cleaner collecting dust anyway. I did without straw=messy. Then I was like: well, obviously they figured out this is better way=still messy.
 
Messages
544
Location
Roswell GA
[/quote] Did not think of that. Have CRC brake cleaner collecting dust anyway. I did without straw=messy. Then I was like: well, obviously they figured out this is better way=still messy. [/quote] Glad to hear I was right, and hope the brake cleaner helps! cheers
 

edyvw

Thread starter
Messages
12,756
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by drtyler
The problem is securing that piece. Once it is secured oil flows pretty steady and nice. However, it is that attaching portion when oil sips around. It's OK, I sent sample to Blackstone on Tuesday. Once I see numbers and I see 10k s OK, that is it. Also, next year I am getting fun car to drive pretty much all the time unless I have 7 people or road trip with family, so oil changes will be done once a year. It is OK, not big deal.
 
Top