Toyota vs NAPA Platinum filters

I'm interested in taking advantage of the $5.99/filter promotion at NAPA for their Platinum filters, but also am able to order OEM Toyota filters for >$4 for my 2014 Yaris. I do 4-5k OCIs with Mobil Super syn. I do mostly shorter trips in the car, 50/50 highway/city.

Which do you think is better for my application?

Either way you'll be good. Our Sienna has seen mostly Toyota filters and some Wix/Napa Golds for its 210k miles, and doesn't seem to care a bit. Produces good power and uses essentially no oil (dipstick is still at full after 10k miles). They usually have been run 6-10k. Hard to go wrong with the Toyota filter (especially for $4), though the rated efficiency may be low. I doubt your engine will notice a difference. Personally, I'd go with the cheaper option, and know that your engine is as well-protected as you can reasonably ensure.

OEM. I'd try to make sure I was getting a genuine Toyota filter. Like from a dealer. Or if is online, make sure it is coming from a legit dealer.

Last edited:
To be honest you will not see any difference between the oil filters . The most important filter on an engine as far as engine life is concerned is the air filter. You could get into extreme oil change intervals and then maybe see a possible difference in the ppm of wear products etc.

Originally Posted by CT8
To be honest you will not see any difference between the oil filters . The most important filter on an engine as far as engine life is concerned is the air filter. You could get into extreme oil change intervals and then maybe see a possible difference in the ppm of wear products etc.

This ↑↑↑↑↑↑

Try the Napa Platinum
smile.gif

With your driving and service habits, I would also suggest the OEM Toyota filter. The efficiency may not be as high as some others but it is certainly good enough, plenty of vehicles with 300k ++ miles using the Toyota filters. And not only is it cheaper, but the build quality is solid.

I run NAPA platinums on my MKZ, but I generally run it 10-15K. I've read suggestions on here in the past that the Platinum is a great filter for extended drain intervals, but not so much for sub-10K intervals. In fact, from what I've read, I may even be running it too short at 10K.

I really like the platinum, but if I were doing 3-5K intervals I'd use OEM or if I wanted a NAPA would step down to a gold. I usually use Motorcraft(Purolators) on my carbureted cars, where I do stick to a 3K interval. I have no particular loyalty to Motorcraft, and would NAPA golds if not for the fact that Wix/NAPA filters don't always get along with the soft aluminum British Leyland supplied threads.

I am going to get a couple Platinums myself for the $5.99. To get Toyota filters for $4 I would need to buy a quantity of 10.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
Been doing 10K changes with Amsoil SS with 5K filter changes in between with Toyota filters on my Tacoma 4.0L.

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a filter that can easily do 10k, like a Fram Ultra, and save you the trouble? Also, unless you prefill the oil filter, you're adding one extra dry start over 10k miles. Probably not significant, but I don't see what you gain by changing the filter at 5k. I have the same Tacoma 4.0 BTW.

Back