Toyota Venza - What are the pros and cons

To me the biggest con is you may as well just buy a Lexus RX.
I was thinking the same thing. The RX is a huge seller; there is a reason for it.
The RX350 uses regular gas (some say different). To step up to the RX450h, you are talking $50K plus.
Full disclosure, we are waiting on a 2021 RX450h F Sport, white on red. Hard to get and hard to discount.

I have not seen the Venza in person, much less driven it. But I'm sure it is a winner.

Do you have to drive around with the screen on like that? I finally found “screen off” on my car and it has a much smaller screen lower down. There it remains, off. I guess it has important things on it for some. I am not ready to have a thing like that on a car dash. Maybe thats why auto braking in front is standard, you may need it when you are fiddling with the screen. I guess they said there is a smaller one. The rest looks very nice.

To me the biggest con is you may as well just buy a Lexus RX.
Venza MSRP is in the $32K to $42K range
Lexus RX 350 MSRP is in the $44K to $57K range

A totally different price point, and extra $12K or more in the cost is a really, really big deal to most folks I would imagine.

A totally different price point, and extra $12K or more in the cost is a really, really big deal to most folks I would imagine.
Agree. Plus, the current RX is growing a little long in the tooth as it started in 2016. The Venza is all new, I believe.
Having said that, we are waiting on a 2021 RX so what do I know?
I will say it is easy (at least around here) to get a nice discount on an RX350.

Thanks for your opinion. The OP stated he wasn’t necessarily concerned financially so that is why I stated he should consider the RX.

I have to ask why? Ive never understood the venza well.

If you need more space, why not buy the highlander hybrid?

If you don’t need the space and value the MPGs, what’s the matter with the RAV 4 hybrid, or better, the Prime?

If you have the money or want more power, go with the Lexus RX (I’m failing to see the reason that the f-sport exists in that trim, since it doesn’t include beefed up brakes, but that’s a discussion for another thread).

To me the highlander is the winner. They took the cost out of it compared to the RX (the pricing used to be much closer), and took the pig of an engine out of it, so it returns good MPGs.

I personally hope that they revise the RX450h F-sport to be a PHEV, so the plug in element of it makes up for the lower MPGs/more power for the RX over the Highlander, and then update the brakes in the f-sport with more significant energy recovery in ideal conditions (which should be doable with the larger battery), and more substantial braking in other conditions (including “sportier” use. I think that would be a winner for me, should I ever decide to get rid of my accord hybrid.

The Venza is the same 5 person seating as the RAV, with lower MPGs and higher cost. I’m not seeing the point....?

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinion. The OP stated he wasn’t necessarily concerned financially so that is why I stated he should consider the RX.
The RX price is beyond the scope of what l want to spend. The 32 to 40k range of the Venza is already a huge step up from the cheap cars l have driven over the last 25 years. I'm not quite ready to take a giant leap forward.

I have to ask why? Ive never understood the venza well.

If you need more space, why not buy the highlander hybrid?

If you don’t need the space and value the MPGs, what’s the matter with the RAV 4 hybrid, or better, the Prime?

If you have the money or want more power, go with the Lexus RX (I’m failing to see the reason that the f-sport exists in that trim, since it doesn’t include beefed up brakes, but that’s a discussion for another thread).

To me the highlander is the winner. They took the cost out of it compared to the RX (the pricing used to be much closer), and took the pig of an engine out of it, so it returns good MPGs.

I personally hope that they revise the RX450h F-sport to be a PHEV, so the plug in element of it makes up for the lower MPGs/more power for the RX over the Highlander, and then update the brakes in the f-sport with more significant energy recovery in ideal conditions (which should be doable with the larger battery), and more substantial braking in other conditions (including “sportier” use. I think that would be a winner for me, should I ever decide to get rid of my accord hybrid.

The Venza is the same 5 person seating as the RAV, with lower MPGs and higher cost. I’m not seeing the point....?
Good points.

The RAV-4 hybrid is less refined than the Venza although they share the same wheelbase and drivetrain. I like the higher end looks, more refined interior, and the quiet softer ride dynamics of the Venza vs RAV-4 and I'm willing to pay a bit extra. I would probably gravitate towards the RAV-4 if l was younger. However, your point is well-taken and l understand your point of view.

The Highlander is a bit too big for our needs, but the drawback of the Venza is that it is one of the smallest "mid-sized" crossovers. I'd definitely consider the Highlander if l had kids to haul around. We rarely have a passenger in our back seat.

I don't really need or want more power, so the RX is not something l would consider. The 7.6 second 0-60 Venza time is fine for my conservative driving style. As previously mentioned, the 32k+ MSRP of the Venza is uncharted territory for me and the 40k+ price for the RX is more than l feel comfortable spending for a depreciating asset.

The RX price is beyond the scope of what l want to spend. The 32 to 40k range of the Venza is already a huge step up from the cheap cars l have driven over the last 25 years. I'm not quite ready to take a giant leap forward.

Good points.

The RAV-4 hybrid is less refined than the Venza although they share the same wheelbase and drivetrain. I like the higher end looks, more refined interior, and the quiet softer ride dynamics of the Venza vs RAV-4 and I'm willing to pay a bit extra. I would probably gravitate towards the RAV-4 if l was younger. However, your point is well-taken and l understand your point of view.

The Highlander is a bit too big for our needs, but the drawback of the Venza is that it is one of the smallest "mid-sized" crossovers. I'd definitely consider the Highlander if l had kids to haul around. We rarely have a passenger in our back seat.

I don't really need or want more power, so the RX is not something l would consider. The 7.6 second 0-60 Venza time is fine for my conservative driving style. As previously mentioned, the 32k+ MSRP of the Venza is uncharted territory for me and the 40k+ price for the RX is more than l feel comfortable spending for a depreciating asset.

My points were fairly generic, and it looks like you’ve answered my question of why. Seems like it’s a Goldilocks option for buyers such as yourself!

Good luck with it if you go that route, post lots of pictures of whatever you get!

Since you are gonna spend upwards to 40 large, I would suggest driving all the similiar vehicles that interest you.
I would guess the Venza will be a great choice, kinda in between the RAV4 and RX.
I find our RX kinda squishy; I keep it in Sport mode to stiffen things up a little. I never drive it hard.
I understand the Venza interior is top notch; a big plus.

Good luck and enjoy your beautiful new car!

I guess it depends on how much more space. I dont think a Venza or Rav4 will be a lot bigger. I think your subaru will fetch a high value right now and that helps.

With a One Car strategy maybe go big. Suburban, tahoe, seqioua, kia telluride, dodge durango size stuff.

If i had to have only 1 vehicle i could live with a V8 SUV.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised the Venza is back. When I was shopping almost 2 years ago, the used AWD Venza was on the top of my list. But availability of used models was poor and prices were crazy-high, so I ended up with a Camry (which has been fabulous).

If I was shopping new now, I would check it out. No opinions will be offered until I drove one.

Good points.

The Highlander is small for a 3 row, with a back seat 3rd row only for children. Really, think of it as a two row with a good size cargo area and keep 3rd row folded down.

We own a 2019 SE and like it a lot. Much more refined than a Rav4.

We had a Ford Edge, similar in size to the Venza, and the Highlander is not much bigger.
The 2020 is redesigned, including better infotainment, a slightly nicer interior, and it gets a sport mode.

You will also get much more of a deal on a Highlander, and probably better resale because more people want Highlanders than Venzas. They skipped SE trim for 2020 MY but it is back for 2021.

Last edited:
The Highlander is small for a 3 row, with a back seat 3rd row only for children. Really, think of it as a two row with a good size cargo area and keep 3rd row folded down.

We own a 2019 SE and like it a lot. Much more refined than a Rav4.

We had a Ford Edge, similar in size to the Venza, and the Highlander is not much bigger.
The 2020 is redesigned, including better infotainment, a slightly nicer interior, and it gets a sport mode.

You will also get much more of a deal on a Highlander, and probably better resale because more people want Highlanders than Venzas. They skipped SE trim for 2020 MY but it is back for 2021.

The SE trim for 2021 is now the XSE, and is actually more expensive than an XLE or hybrid XLE.

nice lookin but like most tacos OVERPRICED!! lots of choices depending on $$$, sedans are the best value + Kia + hyundai warranties are best as well as being a great value!! toyotas have issues as well + more complicated vehicles like turbo'd ones are worse. for better pricing shop bigger high volume dealers + buying new is easy to compare, + get an out the door price to fairly compare prices!!

Back