Toyota V8 - TGMO 0W20 alternative with PAO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly!
grin.gif
You think you are getting J-Lo's lower half with Meghan Fox's upper and you end up with Rosie O'Donnell.

Priceless! Ok cancel the custom blend idea. Back to Redline or M1 EP 0W20.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by danthaman1980
If you're in to mixing your own, I know others have historically had really good luck mixing the TGMO 0W-20 with M1 0W-40. Years ago, this combo affectionately came to be known on BITOG as the "Caterham Blend"
And those oils aren't even remotely similar in chemistry, so I wouldn't be overly inclined to pursue this endeavour assuming that you'll result in a "better" product. You'll end up with what may be a 5w-30 with unknown performance characteristics and zero manufacturer approvals.

You mean when you mix the two, you could be looking at something like this?

[Linked Image]

Exactly!
grin.gif
You think you are getting J-Lo's lower half with Meghan Fox's upper and you end up with Rosie O'Donnell.

Never saw the Futurama episode where Fry is asking himself why the mermaid he fell in love with had a human upper half and a fish lower half rather than the other way around.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Never saw the Futurama episode where Fry is asking himself why the mermaid he fell in love with had a human upper half and a fish lower half rather than the other way around.

Yeah, I saw that (and probably all the other Futurama episodes and movie) back in the days.
smile.gif

Humor me on this one...

Could these two be mixed together without creating a scary unknown monster? Do they have similar base stocks?

5L x Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20

3L x Mobil 1 ESP X1 0W-30

I am comfortable with M1 as a brand but somehow I have convinced myself that straight 0W-20 is a bit light HTHS-wise but I want to stick with a 0W for sub-zero cold starts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ringmaster
Humor me on this one...

Could these two be mixed together without creating a scary unknown monster? Do they have similar base stocks?

I am comfortable with M1 as a brand but somehow I have convinced myself that straight 0W-20 is a bit light HTHS-wise but I want to stick with a 0W for sub-zero cold starts.

The formulation of the EP oils differs from the ESP ones. Why not just go for the AFE 0w-30?

Originally Posted by ringmaster
Humor me on this one...

The formulation of the EP oils differs from the ESP ones. Why not just go for the AFE 0w-30?

Thanks for confirming the formulations aren't so similar. Maybe AFE 0W-30 is the answer to my search for a more robust 0W-20 without overthinking it. Since I won't do extend OCIs and fuel economy isn't an issue (likely impossible to measure the difference between the two) in what areas could I expect using the 30wt to be a negative vs the 20wt?

Ebay has 12 quarts for 90 bucks of TGSO. That comes to $7.50 per quart. You want to run away from that. My new Miata when I buy it will get TGSO, ordered 12 quarts. You are running away, I am going to it.

I have been running Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in my Tundra with the 5.7L. I personally feel it offers a little more protection during heavier loads. If I was in your shoes and had to deal with zero or below zero starts, I'd have no issues running the M1 0w30.

I honestly don't think you'd see any
21.gif
The AFE 0w-30 ended up being the best oil for our Expedition.

Thanks for the feedback. Since 0W-20 is the factory spec for my engines maybe I will make a subtle change and use Mobil 1 AFE with a 50/50 mix of 0W- 20 and 30, assuming the formulations are essentially the same. This mix should be more robust vis a vis HTHS than the TGMO 0W-20 without any downside that I am aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back