toyota v6 2012 80kmi - oil/filter change frequency

Hi there

I use synthetic Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy oil and Mobil 1 extended performance filter (20kmi, 1yr)

Car manual says I should change oil and filter ever 10kmi / 1yr.

I usually drive just under 5kmi a year. Do I still have to change oil once a year? Do I also need to change 20kmi filter every time I change the oil?

If not, how often should I change it?

Also, if I switch to Mobil 1 extended performance oil 20kmi, do I still need to change it once a year?

I don't tow anything, usually 5-30 mile trips.

I live in the northeast

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've read somewhere - once oil is out of the bottle, it's life is limited to 1 year. Is that true? has anyone tested 1+ year old oil in the lab to see if it can be used longer?

It doesn't cost much to change an oil, but it usually takes at least 45 minutes during business hours.. that's why I'm wondering if it really needs to be changed once a year. I'm considering getting jacks or ramps and doing it myself just to save time

Also, I don't get the 10k millage requirement, why not motor hours? if you drive in Manhattan or Alpharetta, 10 miles may take an hour.... vs driving on a highway 60mph.

Last edited:
I don’t think there is a reputable oil in the market that recommends any amount of time over 1 year after being filled.
oil companies are in the business to sell oil.

I wonder if oil tests confirm 1yr/10kmi requirement. Also, like I mentioned earlier - 10kmi in Manhattan with 10kmh and on highways with 60mph may not be the same for the oil\engine and I'd assume oil lasts longer with 60mph. As far as 1yr requirement - I'd love to know if there's really a good reason for it.. May be someone has lab results for 1+yr old synthetic oil?

Last edited:
oil companies are in the business to sell oil.

I wonder if oil tests confirm 1yr/10kmi requirement. Also, like I mentioned earlier - 10kmi in Manhattan with 10kmh and on highways with 60mph may not be the same for the oil\engine and I'd assume oil lasts longer with 60mph. As far as 1yr requirement - I'd love to know if there's really a good reason for it.. May be someone has lab results for 1+yr old synthetic oil?
Car manufacturers are in the business to sell cars. Do you recommend following the owners manual for maintenance?

Oxidation occurs once oil has been poured.

You can go two years with the EP oil and that same filter as long as you get up to normal operating temperatures regularly. No warranty issue right?

I don’t think there is a reputable oil in the market that recommends any amount of time over 1 year after being filled.
Technically any Euro oil carrying Porsche A40 should be good for 2 years, I thought at one point Porsche recommended 2 year intervals all though they may have later reneged on that.

Short trips don't allow the moisture in the oil to burn off. That moisture in the oil can cause sludge.
For any short trip vehicle that isn't driven many miles, I prefer changing the oil every 6 months regardless of low miles on the oil.
Sludge can clog your oil passaways, which can starve your engine of lubrication.

Last edited:
We have a 2015 Lexus ES350, Toyota spec is 10K mile OCI. After warranty I started changing the oil myself with M1 0W-20 EP. Car gets about 9K miles per year, but because we are in CT we have both ends of temp extremes (cold, hot).

I am now going to twice a year oil changes, once a year filter changes. Fram Ultra cartridge filter and whatever halfway decent 0W-20 is on sale at the time. No need to overthink it and the oil changes take about 15 minutes, so Ill save the $$$ on "better" oil and spend the extra 15 minutes.

Back