Toyota v-6 long trip need advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody,
I need some advise.
'99 Camry v-6.Castrol dino every 2500-3k since new.52-53k on od.It has been A-rxed.Add 3oz at each oil change plus #132.
Wife has a 1800 mile trip coming up.Hot south long run.I was thinking of putting something a little more ht/hs stable for one interval.
I do have some Mobil 1 tri syn.Or should I get 5qts SS.Or should I get some thing a little better like Scheaffer's.
I have no consumpstion issues.I am afraid to switch because she wouldn't check oil to see if it is low.
Is this BITOG parinoa
gr_eek2.gif
.Should I just stick with what I have been using??
Thanks for any advise.
RichR

Stick with whatever you have been using and just change it out after you complete the trip. When I ran dino I would change the oil a week or 2 before a long trip and change it when I returned.
wink.gif

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 4300 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 80500 Miles.

If you are satisfied with the way your Castrol is performing to date then I'm with Amkeer and mikeinaustin. Am curious what weight you are running.

1800 mile trip without checking the oil?
nono.gif

She must learn to conquer her oilcheckitis
cheers.gif

What greater joy in life is there but to add a judicious dollop of oil at a gas up after a 400 mile run and getting a good snootful of hot engine aroma?
fruit.gif

offtopic.gif
It would indeed be interesting to probe the murky recesses of the collective conscious of BITOG to fathom the various and sundry "checking of the oil" habits on a long trip. To top up or not to top up, that is the question! Whether tis ...
wink.gif

[ August 08, 2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: ex_MGB ]

Pscholte:10w30 summer 5w30 winter.
ex_MGB:I put gas in it.Don't think it will last 1800 miles though.Luckily I drive it once a week to check up on it.
Maybe I'll just give a change a week before they go to be sure all is tight.
Thanks Guys
RichR

quote:

Originally posted by ex_MGB:
What greater joy in life is there but to add a judicious dollop of oil at a gas up after a 400 mile run and getting a good snootful of hot engine aroma?
fruit.gif

ex_MGB,

With a teaser line like that it makes it very hard for me to resist bringing up...well, you know...the green stuff that smells like gummibears...I know, I'll just give in a l i t t l e bit and refer to it by its initials...you know...German Castrol!

lol.gif
Hey, maybe the Germans, after extensive testing, settled on the smell as that most likely to entice the frau-liens to top up on oil?

1,800 mile trip is nothing for even a weaker dino oil. You should be fine. Just stick with what your using. I assume its mostly highway miles? Just keep changine it at 3k bc it might be a sludge prone engine. I have the 1.8l 4banger and even though it's not a sludge monster, it beats up oils fairly quickly. I just ran Amsoil 10w-30 and I was told I could take it to about 8k before it was done. Toyota's seem to be tough on oil...certain ones that is.

RichR,

Given those weights, I think you are good to go. 10W30 for the trip, for sure.

PS How'd your oil and filter look when you changed them while applying the AutoRx?

"Hey, maybe the Germans, after extensive testing, settled on the smell as that most likely to entice the frau-liens to top up on oil? "

ex_MGB,

I think you are on to something.

Regarding your soliloquy...on a long trip, I check it every morning when we start out and, depending on my confidence level that particular morning, top off at either 1/2 quart or full quart low.

[ August 08, 2003, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

RichR,

I think the 3.0 liter V6 in your 99 Camry is one of the engines Toyota built that have sludge problems.

If this is the case I would switch to M1 10w-30 and stick with it permanently. Or you might try Castrol 0w-30 or another Group 4/5 synthetic.

This engine will trash conventional oil. Even with 3000 mile OCIs I wouldn't run it with dino. With a good synthetic it will probably outlast your enthusiasm for driving it.

Just my 2 cents....

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back