Toyota urges thinner oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Toyota Urges Lighter Oils for Asia

By Tim Sullivan

BANGKOK – Eking out fuel savings wherever it can, Toyota Motor Corp. is urging customers throughout Asia to use engine oils no heavier than 10W-30, an official with the company said during a base oil conference here last month.

The pitch drew skepticism from some lubricant industry observers, who speculated that drivers in some countries will be reluctant to stop using high-viscosity oils.

In a Sept. 15 presentation to F&L Asia’s Asia-Pacific Base Oil Conference, Toyota’s Fumio Ueda said that one of the biggest priorities for the auto industry is to develop environmentally sustainable vehicles – cars, trucks and motorcycles that use less fuel and generate less pollution. A senior staff engineer with Toyota’s Fuel and Lubricant Department, Ueda cited some of the fronts on which automakers are pursuing that goal: tapping alternative fuels, such as electricity or hydrogen; developing more efficient transmissions; and using lighter materials to reduce vehicle weight.

Lubricants are being asked to contribute to the cause, too, with automakers pushing engine oils that have lower viscosity, and therefore reduce friction in engines. Ueda, who is also chairman of the Engine Oil Subcommittee of the Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Association, noted that Toyota has begun recommending 0W-20 oils in Japan. The company is taking a more modest step of prescribing 10W-30 oils in other parts of Asia, where 20W-40 and 20W-50 grades prevail.

“Low-viscosity lubricants are one of the key technologies to get good fuel economy,” Ueda said. “Toyota would like to introduce 0W-20 oils [throughout Asia]. As a first step, though, 10W-30 is acceptable for all sides – customers, oil producers, car manufacturers. I think we will go further once everyone recognizes that lower-viscosity oils are not a problem.”

Ueda cited estimates that Asia would reduce fuel consumption by 2 million kiloliters (520 million gallons) per year if all drivers made the switch.

Some who heard his presentation expressed doubt that Toyota’s wish will be fulfilled anytime soon, contending that large parts of the region remain wedded to heavier oils.

“In Indonesia, motorists use mostly 20W-50 oils,” said Andria Nusa, lubricant product development manager for PT Pertamina, Indonesia’s national oil company. “Only a few use 10W-40, and it is still difficult to find 10W-30.

“It is not easy for the motorist to change to a lighter oil if there is no recommendation from the manufacturer and service stations,” he continued, adding that most of these still recommend 20W-50. “In their opinions, lighter oils will be noisier and cause hotter temperatures and higher oil consumption.”

Ueda said Toyota is encouraging the switch to lighter oils by recommending them in owner manuals and in bulletins to service stations. Some conference attendees said it will take a bigger effort to bring about much change.

“I agree that it makes sense, especially in light of what’s happened with fuel prices,” said Harland Bulow, lead consultant for base oils with Tri-Zen International, a consulting firm based in Singapore. “But you have to overcome two factors: price, since the lighter-grade oils tend to cost less; and the simple fact that people are used to using heavier oils.

“You’re not going to overcome those obstacles without a pretty aggressive education campaign,” he told Lube Report. “To me, the best place to do that is in the schools, so you can reach young drivers.”

Article taken from here: http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article000463014.cfm?x=b11,0,w

I'm actually really suprized by this - I thought that this area would be one of the first to go to lighter, more efficient oils, as they are the ones building the more efficient cars with tighter clearances. I know it is warmer over there but I thought that most oils over there would be 0 or 5W-20 or 5W-30, with 10W-30 being the 'thick stuff'. Weird.

People have just give up the manual spark advance and leave the hand crank for starting behind and now you are asking them to give up their 20w-50 oil. What's the world coming to? Are we going to loose the clutch pedal, too?

I have switched 10w30 instead of the 40 and 50 because some engines are made with small oil passages for the upper vales are or have very small oil holes for it to flow , and thick oils will clog or not flow through these small pasages .

I love how no place in the article did it say that 5W20 and 0W20 were better for durability. I like how they only cited fuel saveings.

I think that the viscosity used is up to the owner. If the owner wants to use 5W20 that is fine! I do not think though that they should dumb down their owners manual or preclude valid choices from consumers. I think that the key to their campaign should be to give the consumer more choices by adding 0W20 and 5W20 to the list of accepted oil viscosities.

If people would only try different oils with used oil analysis they might find some of the newer lightweights are doing as well or better in terms of low wear and low oxidation.

I agree...and am trying 20wt oils in my old Saturn and they are providing excellent performance so far.

I wonder if it's occurred to anyone here this it is possible to enjoy both thin AND thick oils? My stock includes Delo's, M1 15w-50 as well as a good amount of PZ 5w-20 and M1 0w-20. Life is short. Enjoy.

Post a couple UOA's of both thick and thin oils in your ride to verify all is well inside the crankcase. Then use the one you WANT to use.

cheers.gif

Unlike other Japanese manufacturers Toyota does not offer an OEM oil heavier then XW-30. As for Toyota SL 5W-20, recently I could find some limited details on this oil from local importer. The most interesting, may be, it's the only oil among Toyota's which is promoted as containing an organic molybdenum. It's vis.@40C = 40.1 cSt, vis.@100C = 8,49 cSt and F.P. = 234 C

Hi. The word "better fuel economy" seem all there is for the need to switch to lighter oil. How about engine protection? Are lighter oil as good as heavier oil in that aspect?

I am still a bit confused about oil. Say...the manufacturer recommends 10W30 or better oil. Are 5W40 and 10W40 considered a better or worst oil?

Three decades of testing at Mobil and ExxonMobil indicate that a 20W is all most owners will ever need, at least in the Mobil 1 lineup.

All most people accomplish with 30W and SAE 40 oils is to reduce their fuel economy and performance.

With lean burn engines, which almost guarantee low fuel dilution, 20 weights should work well in almost any late model daily driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back