Toyota U660E/F Filter

Hello BITOG,

As I approach 100k in my ‘13 RX350 AWD i am getting ready for another transmission fluid service (first was a 12qt line exchange at 50k, this'll be a drain and fill with WS) I am curious if anyone has experience with the filters inside these transmissions. I've seen mixed information online as to what it has, some say the 3rd gen RX has a screen/strainer (like my sig Tundra, not worth changing really IME) or a typical felt/paper type filter.

If it has the latter I intend on changing it this go-round, but if it's a rock catcher like the Tundra, and many other modern Toyotas, I'll leave it.

Thanks

Last edited:
What I was told by the Service Manager whom I trust is that they are really not filters, but some kind of mesh screen and that there is no real need to change it if you do regular maintenance. He said it's there to catch the bigger pieces in case of transmission neglect.

It is a normal felt filter. If you want to drop the pan, you need to remove the front, upper and side engine mounts to raise the transmission. There are a few pan bolts that are difficult to access.

Thanks gentlemen, Critic- do you reckon it's worth the effort, or just keep going with 30-40k drain/fills with WS Toyota bottled fluid? It shifts great and is just a baby hauler and highway cruiser for road trips, limited AWD or mountain use

Originally Posted by JEL01
Thanks gentlemen, Critic- do you reckon it's worth the effort, or just keep going with 30-40k drain/fills with WS Toyota bottled fluid? It shifts great and is just a baby hauler and highway cruiser for road trips, limited AWD or mountain use

Debatable. I have never changed one.

Thanks guys, I think I'll stick with fluid only, just in doing that I'm ahead of 90% anyway

Back