Toyota type-eh Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody got an Idea what type-eh might be? I want to replace my psf, but this stuff must be made out of unobtainium... It costs a small fortune at the local dealer... No joy online, found a cross reference for a German Product in Deutsch... Ugh... Any help appreciated..

Thanks,
Pete

Eh?
08.gif

PSF is usually just ATF. What Toyota vehicle?

It's a 2002 MR2 Spyder, with electro hydraulic power steering... The pump is driven buy an electric motor... I'm thinking of useing some fancy mineral oil based fluid as on Porsche's system... $14.00/qt versus $35.00/qt at the dealer...

It sounds like an application-specific fluid. Until someone reverse-engineers the fluid, or gets their hands on the MSDS or Product Sheet that can tell you otherwise, I'd recommend staying with approved fluids.

Electric motors don't pump too well when the fluid is thick as honey as most cheaper ATFs/PSFs can be when cold. You are probably looking at something that has a extremely high VI and specific visc. Also, since packaging constraints were there, I would think that the fluid would also have to tolerate some high temps hinting toward full synthetic.
A VOA and UOA would be very interesting.

What was the German product?

Total sells an EH fluid:
http://www.lubadmin.com/upload/produit/FichePDF/lang_1/4002.pdf which has similar specs to Pentosin CHF11s and its replacement 202.

Manufacturers that use an EH system include Audi, Citroen, Ford, Mazda, Mini, Peugeot, Seat, Skoda, Suzuki, Toyota and Vauxhall.... It would be interesting to see what 'special' fluid other automakers are using in their system.

EH fluid might just be an ultimate upgrade to Dex-type PSF!

Thanks all for the help, I'm thinking about using Pentosin CHF 202... The German product was RAVENOL PSF... I don't know... I've almost acquiesed... Toyota OEM prices vary from $45/liter to $52/ liter depending on how far I want to drive....I just really hate being leveraged... I know Toyota Chemical, private labeled this stuff from someone...ugh...

Will any harm come from using regular PSF ie: Walmart ST in a Toyota which calls for Dex III?

Eddie, what was the 'wrong fluid' that caused this seal damage in 250 miles? what was required? mileage? vehicle? PS maintenance history?

pbm, it depends!

A while back, I was looking at the MR2(2.2L) EH system. My Camry's 2.2L PSF belt is tight as [censored] and I am always looking for ways to improve MPG. I only needed PS assistance at low speeds. I figured a switch activated PS could improve MPG and take the load off the engine. Plus, I would not have to crank the daylights out of the PS belt. Seems that many hypermiler's have already done this using cross platform fluids with NO problems. EH steering also provides PS to many backyard EV conversions.

If you look at the Ravenol specs, nothing special there.

The car belonged to my son-in-law and he is into wrenching on vehicles. The vehicle was a 1994? BMW and the owners manual recommended a specific PS fluid. He got lazy and substituted a cheaper generic one size fits all fluid and the seal material was not compatible. We removed the unit and found the end seals on the rack were what appeared to be disintegrating. A check with the BMW owners club confermed that this has happened many times when the correct PS fluid is not used. Just one experience that I;m aware off but, it sent a clear message to me.

Thanks guys for all your help... I ordered the fluid from the dealer yesterday... If it comes in a Pentosin can I'll let you all know.... In the end, I just chickened out... the thought of replacing my steering rack because i didn't spend another $20.00 bucks... ugh... Makes me want to send a sample to Blackstone... Thanks again,

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back