Toyota Tundra Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figured I'd start a new thread (and I know I'm still on the hook for pictures).

1. I have the towing package, which came with hitch receiver and trailer wiring hookup. Are the connectors "live" at this time? I'm guessing they are, but I haven't been able to find the little trailer wiring checker-thing that I got from etrailer last year (I'm guessing I left it in the popup, which is still closed up), and I won't attack this with a DMM until this weekend.

2. It came with a cable of some sort in the glovebox. Electric brake controller hookup? I know I can buy a prewired cable, and plug into the factory plug that is under/around the OBDII port; I'm just wondering what this cable is. Err, wondering now if the prewired cable would be long enough, so I might want to use this cable anyhow, only interested in the prewired cable if I were to know it was long enough.

3. Would I be right to assume that first and second gen Tundras have different bed dimensions? I'm looking into used camper shells, and looking used.

4. Why are trailer brakes required over 1k? My VW allows up to 1300lb unbraked! Geez, payload is 1515, you'd think they'd allow just a pinch more... Do have plans to get the brake controller, don't get me wrong--but it seems wrong. My Harbor Freight trailer is rated for 1,500lb cargo (am dubious about that); and came w/o brakes; my popup camper, which is spec'd as 1k dry and 1,600 gross came w/o brakes. Do I really have to add brakes here?

[Yes, this is more of a humorous rant here.]

5. Another rant: a transmission temperature gauge that is more idiot than illuminating (did some searches, turns out it's doing the same centered thing as do coolant temp gauges). Hmm, already own a Scangauge II, had it 3-4 years now, I wonder if I could just use that instead... was going to ask about buying an Ultragauge/something else/Scangauge but I think I just answered my own question!

6. I think the sparkplugs are rated for 100kmiles, right? I'm not sure if they were replaced or not; am tempted to replace early with whatever OEM is.

7. 4.6L, seems to take the 0W20 oil, is it also 10kmile OCI's now? I flipped through the manual but got confused on the 2,500mile OCI's required for E-85, plus I know Toyota changed in 2011 and allowed 10k OCI's on some vehicles--but my owner's manual has no supplemental papers for it. [I suspect I'll run 5k OCI's on this.]

8. ATF, I don't think it was changed prior to me buying, as I think it's a 100kmile item (or life?). What is the term-speak that I should use at the dealer for getting it changed that does not include flushing / anything dubious? Just fluid exchange, that is. Does this transmission have a filter? I might try to change a couple qt's myself at say each OCI but I might just look into having all fluids changed, as I don't recall how far it's from needing all that changed (diffs, transfer case) anyhow. [I forgot what the CPO stated for work done.]

1. Yes they are live.

2. Those are the wires to use if you purchase a generic brake controller. If you buy one specific to the model you just pug in play.

3. Yes the bed is larger, as is the whole truck.

4. For safety that is all.

5. A scan gauge will work with the Tundra.

6. The plugs will definitely last until 100k, but replace them if you like, only use the Denso's.

7. Go 5k and further dependent upon UOA's.

8. The ATF supposedly will last 100k, though I do not trust it. I would do a drain and fill of the pan every 30k which would be about 4 qts of ATF WS.

The Tundra is a Great Truck and will last you forever if you take care of it.
Check out Tundra Talk...tons of info!

Last edited:
1. Yes, the trailer connector is always live.

4. Who said you have to add brakes? Check your state laws. In CT, trailers under 3k lbs GVW don't need brakes. Other states have different weight limits. If your trailer is under the limit, you don't need brakes. I'm assuming your truck has a 7-pin connector? If your trailer has a 4-flat connector, you can get a simple adaptor that plugs right into your truck's receptacle.

Truck has both 7 and 4 pin connectors; just wasn't sure if it was live or not (manual didn't explicitly state that, or I missed it).

Was planning on ATF changes at most 30k, and possibly sooner. Depends upon my mood and thinking. Sooner is better than later. I might do a pan drop this summer then, as I don't recall seeing it as a line item on the CPO work.

Manual says to use brakes over 1k. Strikes me as rather low, but I could see the CYA. I'm not going to sweat it for any trailer that was built w/o brakes though.

Was thinking of what forum to get onto, will check that out, thanks.

I think 100K is too long for the Tranny service, so I did mine earlier. I did mine at about 70K, and I performeed a manual fluid exchange of the entire tranny (using the cooler lines). Read up on doing it if you try to do it yourself. There is no dipstick and the tranny has to be at a specific temperature to check the level. I used the Toyota WS fluid.

The 1K for trailer is probably a liability thing. I have pulled more weight without brakes on a truck with lesser brakes. I would just follow your state laws for the brakes, but it never hurts to have them. At least the Tundra's have awseeome brakes, it's one of my favourite features of the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back