Toyota Tundra 8cyl Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 2003 Toyota Tundra 8cyl.
Just about to hit 1000 miles, and wondering if its ok to now switch to Redline Oil from Dino.
Any known problems with Toyotas and Redline Oil?

[ August 25, 2003, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Tango Two ]

1. I'm green with envy over your truck!
2. I believe the break in period is done for you so I don't see a problem in going to synthetic at 1000 miles.
3. You should have no problems with Redline, its a great oil. See the Redline site sponsor for a good price and use the recommended factory weight.
4. I posted a link in the "Favorite Links" section for a online discount Toyota dealer. Price plus shipping has been cheaper than price plus tax at my local Toyota dealers.

Questions: What made you decide on Redline oil over Mobil1 or Amsoil?
What will be your oil change interval (OCI)?

quote:

Originally posted by Tango Two:
Just bought a 2003 Toyota Tundra 8cyl.
Just about to hit 1000 miles, and wondering if its ok to now switch to Redline Oil from Dino.
Any known problems with Toyotas and Redline Oil?

Fine truck. I know a guy with a 2000 with 188K
and the only thing that happends to him was that he did not change the timing belt and it blew apart around 168K... the only other thing was his rear brakes wore out early because he does a lot of hauling. He has everything else factory... if you ask me this is asking for it on the fluids, but hey, I've met three others in the 180-200's that have not done anything to their trucks.

I would suggest on any car, waiting until the oil consumption stops, then make the move to a premium, otherwise IMO
you could run a lot longer with oil burn more than you could have...

If you are going to run Redline you will be fine with their 5W30,10W30, and even their 5W40. Their oil does not shear at all so you do not have to go as thick as you would normaly go. Redline does the best in the Toyota engines. Toyotas love this stuff!!

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:
Fine truck. I know a guy with a 2000 with 188K and the only thing that happends to him was that he did not change the timing belt and it blew apart around 168K...

These are interference engines. Change the timing belt in schedule at 90,000 miles or roll the dice that you won't trash your engine if (when) the belt brakes.

Ken

quote:

Fine truck. I know a guy with a 2000 with 188K
and the only thing that happends to him was that he did not change the timing belt and it blew apart around 168K...

This was the 3.4l 6 cyl. though wasn't it? I thought the V-8 was chain driven?

Toyota/Lexus 4.7L V-8 has a timing belt. 90,000 miles is the recommended belt change interval. I believe that this is Toyota's only interference engine with a belt, not a chain.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Tango Two:
Currently running Redline in my 2002 Firehawk.

Now, that IS a fine CAR!!!
Forget the Tundra.....let's talk about you Hawk!
patriot.gif

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back