Toyota Truck Manual trans/t-case/diff fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new to me 2000 4runner 3.4 v6 5speed 4x4.

Any reccomendations? I need a good GL5, prefferably one without Limited Slip additives to outfit the whole truck.

The rear diff is getting a locker.

I have the locker in my rear diff. I've used Mobil 1 75w90 with good results, but just recently went with Amsoil Severe gear 75w110 because I installed larger tires. I'd say M1 or Amsoil all around would suit you well.

Any full synthetic GL5 should be good enough. I wouldn't worry about the LSD additive amount in the 'case and 'ends.
But in the manual, I would stick with the GL4 or non-LSD fluid which should help shifting.
Upgrading the weight for driving style/mods is a must.

yeah i just use any syn and or M1.. durablend works well too in the diffs and tcase. trick is to change the fluid like you are supposed to

For the 5spd I would use Redline MTL/MT90 mixed 50/50! For the rest of it I would use what ever dual rated GL4/GL5 gear lube is localy available at a good price! I am partial to Delo,Rotella,Havoline gear lubes in conventional localy available products! In synthetic I like Redline,Amsoil, and Mobil-1.If you can find Schaffer's or CenPeco gear lubes some place localy I highly recomend them but you normaly have to be by a minning operation or some place that services a lot of heavy equipment! Stay far away from Lucas or any other product made from bright stock in your transmission ,t/case or diff's!!!!

I can't answer for JB, but the Redline mix is sort of a standard.
It works very well in manual trannys and transaxles.
I presently have it in my trans, and it shifts very well - as good as anything that I've tried - with a bit more protection than the MTL alone.
Straight MTL or MT90 can be very good, but some have notchy shifting. I didn't like it alone in my trans. I was cleaning out the shelf, and used the mix like many have suggested, and it works great.

"Why the 50/50 mix?"

Because the final viscosity of the mix is lower than the viscosity of the MT90 alone, and usually results in better cold weather shifting.

I changed the transfer case, both differentials, and the transmission of my 4Runner to Mobil 1 75W-90. The shifting and locker action is much smoother than with the factory fluid. It's still not perfect especially in cold weather, but good enough.

If you're adding a Toyota electric locker, no LSD additive is called for and none is needed.

Molakule nailed it...I live in a cold state and so most of my advice is geared towards that end! Like today the high was 24°F. As an exaple witht he above mentioned mix my shifting cold in my oyota Camry is great even at -28°F and when it warm's up it is smooth as better. Today it was 24°F out and the cheap semi-synthetic Walmart 70W90 gearlube was like shifting in Jello.....Now once it warmed up it was fine but it is the cold performance I need. So if you can get the cold performance you want and keep all of the same protection from wear and heat etc.....you do! That mix is like the gold standard that every other product is compared to in transmissions that are known to be notchy like the old Toyota MR2's,Corvettes etc............

Several automakers addressed manual transmission shift issues with thinner fluids. They simply blended up a 75w85 in place of the 80w90 used for many years. Too many wimp wristed wannabe's are buying manuals now.
It also doesn't help that manufacturing under a budget seems to be taking a toll on shift quality.

The 50:50 blend(or any thinning ratio from 20-80%) seems to help with shift issues caused by 90wt gear oils. The Redline MTL/MT90 blend has been used for years. Now that Amsoil has MTF/MTG, it too could be tried at variable ratios.

I don't mind 1-3 minutes of poor shift quality when cold. I prefer to use the thicker gear oils straight out for protection. Ever try to find a competent manual tranny builder or manual trans parts????
MT90 or MTG, being full synthetics, work well enough during the NE winters. I can't believe the number of Tx/Fl owners complaining about cold shift quality when it is 70 degrees out. Poor shifting starts at below 20F around here!

If you require a gear oil, I would NOT thin it out with ATF or other weakly additized fluid. There are plenty of MTFs/MTLs in various weights, with able to protect additive packages, that are pro synchro performance.

Besides Amsoil/Redline/Royalpurple, don't forget the gear oils from Synlube, Neo, Motul, Silkolene, Idemitsu..... and some of those great OE MT fills like Nissans 75w85 and Fords 75w90.

Also, always pick a sensible interval. 30k/2-3yrs, IMO, is a must for gear fluid maintenance. Known weak or problem units should consider 10k/yearly change intervals.

I had a 1990 4Runner V6, 5 speed, that I purchased new. Ran Esso Gear Oil GX Extra 75W-90 in the front and rear axles, and the TC. Ran Mobil SHC 50 in the 5 speed. Sold it in 2000 with around 320,000 km on the clock, shifted great

I currently have an FJ Cruiser, and run Mobil Delvac Synthetic 75W-90 in the front and rear axles, and TC

A heavy duty synthetic transmission oil will be rated GL-4, and will shift well cold or hot. You can find these lubes at most commercial and bulk lube places. Here is the link for Delvac 50

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/P...on_Fluid_50.asp

Although I have seen these products in gallon containers, be prepared to have to buy a 5 gal pail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back