Toyota TRD oil filter 3526 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's annual mileage is low at 3526 mi which has been on PUP 5w-30. I should have waited an additional year before changing the filter, maybe even three years. The TRD is rated at 98% at 20 microns. Will posts OC and particle count later.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Look good. Excuse my ignorance but what vehicle is that off of? Maybe I missed it. I apologize in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
The wife's car is a 2009 Lexus ES350 2GR-FE 3.5L V6 that specifies 5W-30 oil.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Thank You. I should have looked at the TRD link
wink.gif

Ur welcome. No problem.

That's the same filter I use on my GX350(2017) Did not like the OEM with glue and not enough structural support (IMO)

It's 3 time the price of the OEM, but to me well worth it.

Originally Posted by Pelican
That's the same filter I use on my GX350(2017) Did not like the OEM with glue and not enough structural support (IMO)

It's 3 time the price of the OEM, but to me well worth it.

Try the FU XG9972, no top/bottom rubber o-ring but more structural integrity with full plastic end caps and internal filter wire backing.

I've always wondered why the TRD is the ONLY filter (that I've seen, for this application, at least) that has the rubber O-rings? What purpose do they serve?

confused.gif

Ed

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
I've always wondered why the TRD is the ONLY filter (that I've seen, for this application, at least) that has the rubber O-rings? What purpose do they serve? ...
Should seal better against the hard flat surface of the filter housing than a cartridge filter with a hard flat surface on its end.

Originally Posted by CR94
I've always wondered why the TRD is the ONLY filter (that I've seen, for this application, at least) that has the rubber O-rings? What purpose do they serve? ...
Should seal better against the hard flat surface of the filter housing than a cartridge filter with a hard flat surface on its end.

I think you're right. In other words, 100% of the oil flow gets forced through the filter media as opposed to perhaps not sealing completely and *some* of the oil is not filtered? That's my best guess as well.

Ed

Originally Posted by CR94
... TRD is the ONLY filter (that I've seen, for this application, at least) that has the rubber O-rings? What purpose do they serve? ...
... In other words, 100% of the oil flow gets forced through the filter media as opposed to perhaps not sealing completely and *some* of the oil is not filtered? ...
Yes, exactly. When the ends of the cartridge and the ends of the housing that they mate against are all rigid, the geometry of both must be perfect, or else a little oil can bypass through gaps at the ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back