Toyota Transmission Shudder TSB - Protect Yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 12-14 Camry with the 6 Speed Auto tranny has a Service Bulletin for a shudder in the tranny.

Many members have reported going and only having the computer logic updated to stop the shudder whereas in the past the dealer did a fluid change only as a remedy for this problem in the U760E transmission.

Well, here's the truth, I have the actual directions and it tells the dealer to NOT ONLY change the computer logic but ALSO drain and fill the tranny completely. AND ADD 4 magnets to the pan and throw away the old two from the factory.

Folks, this tells me a few things now that I see ALL the facts:
1. The trannies produce more metal than they anticipated and the magnets weren't adequate
2. The lifetime fluid claim the company makes is indeed GARBAGE truth. CHANGE YOUR FLUID REGULARLY.
3. Some people have not been getting the full service performed. Again... Reprogram, fluid change AND four new magnets.

WE are beta testing these 10 year old transmission folks.

LINK
U760E Shudder OFFICAL INSTRUCTIONS

Last edited:
The TSB also says in step 3 to "remove and replace the torque converter". It sounds like the remedy to this problem is to replace a significant part of the transmission.

I am a quite bit wary of these higher speed (6 speed and higher) trannies - they have got to be more complicated and more sensitive than their predecessors.

Toyota quality really is going down hill . Half of my vehicles have been Toyotas the other Half Fords well a 70 Dodge Challenger and 2 GM products in which it is doubtful I will ever purchase a GM product again.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
There goes the rock solid Toyota engineering claims...
I can't say through experience that Toyotas are even close to rock solid. They have always been cheap tin can cars with quality . Now their is less quality.

Folks, this is a HUGE discovery to me. That this transmission is THAT flawed and that the dealers aren't doing the WHOLE attempt to fix it. That document is the official thing they have in their hands.

More like it's the TCC and lockup logic than the tramsmission. Maybe the flex lockup logic is creating excessive TCC wear (ie, riding the clutch) and that's why the TC replacement is required. Only way to fix that is to program the ECU for TCC on-off lockup at 40mph like every other reliable auto transmission.

Last edited:
www.lubegard.com see the universal bottle, it works tranny.

For use with any specified ATF recommended by the car manufacturer, such as OEM types and
DEXRON®/MERCON® ATF’s.
(Except Ford Type F ATF or CVT applications)

Enhances DEXRON® III, VI/MERCON® ATF’s to perform like MERCON® V ATF

Enhances DEXRON® III, VI/MERCON® , V ATF to perform like a highly friction modified ATF, such as:
– Honda® Genuine ATF
– Toyota® Type T/TII/TIV *************************
– Mopar® ATF + 3® (7176)
– Mopar® ATF +4® (9602)
– And all other highly friction modified ATF's
Contains all the same benefits as the LUBEGARD ATF Protectant
Prevents overheating
Dramatically reduces friction & wear on metal parts and internal components
Will not alter the crucial sulfur balance in your transmission fluid
Will not harm yellow metals
Inhibits fluid oxidation and foaming
Contains patented Synergol® TMS Technology, a synthetic molecule that tightens the shift cycle without losing the friction modification at lockup, which eliminates shudder
Eliminates torque converter shudders
Ensures proper shifts
Frees stuck valves & keeps them free
Extends fluid change intervals
Protects & restores seals for optimum performance
Conditions & restores seals and o-rings
Does not contain any harmful components such as zinc (ZDDP)/ash, etc., like other competing products

Last edited:
Toyota had a torque converter supplier issue.
It simply wore out too fast. Extra magnets are to remove any residual debris left behind. Inline filter would've been smarter.

Don't blame Toyota for incompetent franchised dealers or ignorant service writers.

This transmission family is pretty strong. 4 cyl torque converter is not as stout as what the 3.5L gets.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Yup we beta test a lot of products for car manufacturers...
Like ignition swtiches....

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
www.lubegard.com see the universal bottle, it works tranny.

For use with any specified ATF recommended by the car manufacturer, such as OEM types and
DEXRON®/MERCON® ATF’s.
(Except Ford Type F ATF or CVT applications)

Enhances DEXRON® III, VI/MERCON® ATF’s to perform like MERCON® V ATF

Enhances DEXRON® III, VI/MERCON® , V ATF to perform like a highly friction modified ATF, such as:
– Honda® Genuine ATF
– Toyota® Type T/TII/TIV *************************
– Mopar® ATF + 3® (7176)
– Mopar® ATF +4® (9602)
– And all other highly friction modified ATF's
Contains all the same benefits as the LUBEGARD ATF Protectant
Prevents overheating
Dramatically reduces friction & wear on metal parts and internal components
Will not alter the crucial sulfur balance in your transmission fluid
Will not harm yellow metals
Inhibits fluid oxidation and foaming
Contains patented Synergol® TMS Technology, a synthetic molecule that tightens the shift cycle without losing the friction modification at lockup, which eliminates shudder
Eliminates torque converter shudders
Ensures proper shifts
Frees stuck valves & keeps them free
Extends fluid change intervals
Protects & restores seals for optimum performance
Conditions & restores seals and o-rings
Does not contain any harmful components such as zinc (ZDDP)/ash, etc., like other competing products
Sounds like the second coming.

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
Magnets in the pan? You can only dream of those in german cars, at least Toyota is trying.
I've done a transmission service on my 2004 VW Passat with the ZF 5 speed auto, it had 2 rectangular magnets in the pan. Mine were coated in a fine sludge, no shavings at all.

Back on topic: this is very bad on Toyota, they might sink to Honda's perceived level of competence for automatics! j/k

Originally Posted By: SumpChump

2. The lifetime fluid claim the company makes is indeed GARBAGE truth.
LINK
U760E Shudder OFFICAL INSTRUCTIONS

No problem...I have been cooler line flushing all of my Toyotas (6) every 50k and never a skip, miss or flare. The first 50k flush brings you almost black ATF. After that it is still red. But, I only run mine to 200k and trade them in still shifting like new.

WS fluid is Ok but not lifetime. I would not run it past 70k on a bet. BTW, no need to mess with the magnets or drop the pan if you flush at 50-60k. All the garbage leaves with the ATF.

Last edited:
I might even bet if you flushed one of these transmissions at 30k and got out all the break in debris you would have little trouble later on.

My '10 and '11 Toyotas seem quite bulletproof.

But no manufacturer can be perfect as long as workers and suppliers are involved.

For me, keep the Toyotas coming.

I'll likely need a few more in 300,000 - 400,000 miles.

My Aisin 6-speed had some shudder with T-IV and would occasionally just stay in 4th.

It just wouldn't upshift. I had to move the selector to the manual gate and manually select 5th then 6th.

Mazda's gear indicator stays on all the time. Not just when I'm in manual mode. So I know it's in 4th.

It hasn't happened on Valvoline Maxlife ATF.
21.gif

Not really that big of a deal...a problem has been identified with the torque convertor, so they're installing a (hopefully) better version, sticking some extra magnets in the pan to catch any residual rubbish and reflashing the computer. It's a car. Sometimes stuff goes wrong. At least Toyota have implemented a fix.

Problem here is that:
A. Folks are getting the pro ramming update and booted out the door towards the end of their warranty with no fluid change, magnets or new TC
This is a classic situation in which you either don't return because you don't know that you didn't get all the steps performed or just are to tired of it all that you convince yourself that it's 'fixed'.......until 10,000 miles after warranty. Then the dealer takes a renews interest with a laundry list of Trans repairs.

B. Sure "it happens" I agree. They've had years to figure this out. As a core
Drivetrain component things like a TC spewing metal are found out fairly soon. It seems that they it's tried flui change and fill (factory directed 3 times fill n dump) in the earlier years of symptoms and now they have a programming AND full fluid change in their new TSB. They're throwing ideas at getting these cars just to the end of drivetrain warranty. AND the dealers aren't doing the fluid change part if it. Yikes! Next version of this TSB will have red letters (for those who have seen a real toyota TSB) that say MUST change ATF to wake up the dealer to what they should have read in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back