Toyota Transfer Gear Oil 75W VOA

We’ve had several threads on the transfer case oil. I use a 75 from Ravenol in my Tundra.

Interesting, could this be for Toyota fleet fuel economy improvement?

I use 75w-90 in the front, rear and transfer case of everything and be done with it. I have owned several tundras and sequoias since 2000, all lived to 300k + miles and I still see an 2002 I sold around town that I sold in 2015, guy told me he is pushing 500k and no problems with the power train.

As a matter of fact the early tundras would sometimes have a long delay when you disengage the 4wD but after switching to 75w-90 smooth as butter. Fuel economy did suffer slightly after switching.

Rust gets them before the power train will fail at least in my neck of the woods.

I have a 2018 4Runner with part-time 4WD that's due for a transfer case oil change. Due to the price shock, I'm looking for an alternative to Toyota's liquid gold. Turns out lots of other people are doing the same! And that there are many opinions on the topic.

My manual states I can use an equivalent to the 75W LF, but doesn't elaborate, just says to contact my dealer. So I called my dealer's Parts department and requested the primary and any alternate part number.

The Parts guy never even mentioned the 75W LF. Instead he gave me p/n 08885-02506 (75W-85 GL-5 "Differential Gear Oil") as the primary. And p/n 08885-80306 (75W-90 GL-5 "Gear Oil Super” AKA “GO-Super") as an alternate.

Then I inquired what the Service department is using for TC's. I was given p/n 00289-ATFWS (Toyota’s “World Standard” automatic transmission fluid)!

I noticed Ravenol boldly claims their 75W MTF is suitable for this particular application. But is there a recent VOA for it?
Ravenol MTF More specs on their German site

I'm ready to throw up my hands and just put in the same AMSOIL SVG 75W-90 I used for the diff. Given that the most miles I've ever put on a vehicle before dumping it was about 75K, and I don't plan to change my ways, does it really matter?! :unsure:

BTW, I live in Las Vegas, NV so my vehicle is exposed to hot weather, but rarely to sub-freezing weather and never to truly cold weather. I do get off the pavement quite often, but I never tow anything.

The fluid is labelled for fuel economy. You can guess what my thoughts are concerning thin fluids.

Didnt see anything internally or transfer case specific that would require anything special.

That stout additive package probably is to carry the thin visc. And, I probably wouldnt use some of the less stout substitutes that are being recommended.

Toyota actuators can be a bit grumpy when cold. Dealers like to replace them and charge a fortune. They can be contact cleaned and resealed but some models hard to get to so you pull the xfer case to swap or service the solenoids. Has nothing to do with visc other than how slow they are when cold.

Since Toyota had a history with transfer case GL5 gear oils, I would either use the OE MPG LF 75w or snub my nose at MPG and fill it with GL5 75w85 or 75w90. I dont see any commonly available GL5 75w80's in the USA. Once the gear oil is warm, it cant be any worse than the 75w LF when cold.

I dont practice shift on the fly shenanigans. I think that it would be smart to anticipate the terrain and engage/disengage 4wdHi 2wdHi as needed from a stop. I'd wager that the thinner fluid might be quicker than thicker fluids....for the clueless driver shifting into 4wd at 50mph, especially if there is some transfer case synchronisation when engaging 4wdHi. Disengaging 4wd should be a non issue regardless of fluid.

...Toyota actuators can be a bit grumpy when cold. Dealers like to replace them and charge a fortune. They can be contact cleaned and resealed but some models hard to get to so you pull the xfer case to swap or service the solenoids. Has nothing to do with visc other than how slow they are when cold.

Since Toyota had a history with transfer case GL5 gear oils, I would either use the OE MPG LF 75w or snub my nose at MPG and fill it with GL5 75w85 or 75w90. I dont see any commonly available GL5 75w80's in the USA. Once the gear oil is warm, it cant be any worse than the 75w LF when cold.

I dont practice shift on the fly shenanigans. I think that it would be smart to anticipate the terrain and engage/disengage 4wdHi 2wdHi as needed from a stop. I'd wager that the thinner fluid might be quicker than thicker fluids....for the clueless driver shifting into 4wd at 50mph, especially if there is some transfer case synchronisation when engaging 4wdHi. Disengaging 4wd should be a non issue regardless of fluid.

I get a "clunk" when moving between 4L and 4H if the drivetrain isn't warmed up. Not something I do regularly, but in rare instances I have to make that shift before I have driven much. Is that the actuator grumpiness you refer to? When everything is warmed up, TC shifting is quiet and smooth.

My TC has not been touched yet, so presumably it has the OEM 75W LF in it. IF they are even using it at the factory, LOL.

I don't live or drive in snow country, so I only shift into/out of 4WD at low speeds on unpaved roads.

(Off-topic fun fact: my Wrangler manual recommended that I put the transmission in neutral BUT still be rolling at 2-3 MPH when shifting into/out of low range! This was a problem if I had already started a climb then realized I need low range. Actually, TC shifting was a problem all the time as the TC lever was hard to move. I'm quite happy I now have a dial instead.)

So is anyone going to talk me out of using the AMSOIL SVG 75W-90? 🙃

I noticed Ravenol boldly claims their 75W MTF is suitable for this particular application. But is there a recent VOA for it?
Ravenol MTF More specs on their German site
The Ravenol is used by all the guys on the Toyota Tundra forums. I have it in my Tundra. Runs smoother that the Toyota factory fluid. Many who have went with 75W-85 or 75W-90 have had issues. The older Tundras would be fine, but in 2014 they went to a new transfer case that requires the 75W. I would use it only. As far as I know. the only fluid in that weight besides the Toyota fluid is Ravenol and Redline.

Last edited:
I get a "clunk" when moving between 4L and 4H if the drivetrain isn't warmed up. Not something I do regularly, but in rare instances I have to make that shift before I have driven much. Is that the actuator grumpiness you refer to? When everything is warmed up, TC shifting is quiet and smooth.

My TC has not been touched yet, so presumably it has the OEM 75W LF in it. IF they are even using it at the factory, LOL.

I don't live or drive in snow country, so I only shift into/out of 4WD at low speeds on unpaved roads.

(Off-topic fun fact: my Wrangler manual recommended that I put the transmission in neutral BUT still be rolling at 2-3 MPH when shifting into/out of low range! This was a problem if I had already started a climb then realized I need low range. Actually, TC shifting was a problem all the time as the TC lever was hard to move. I'm quite happy I now have a dial instead.)

So is anyone going to talk me out of using the AMSOIL SVG 75W-90? 🙃
You don't need that in your TC. In warm places it probably won't hurt anything, in cold places, you might have some sluggishness when changing.

This is what you want: https://www.amsoil.com/p/manual-synchromesh-transmission-fluid-5w-30-mtf/?zo=515729

I was very surprised when I changed my TC to MTF. Changing to 4Hi or 4Lo became instant. Factory fluid was always rolling for awhile. Many Toyota Tacoma and Tundra owners now running the MTF and are very happy with it. The factory fluid had ATF apparent viscosity, and I'm telling you the MTF protects better as well.

I ended up going with the AMSOIL SVG 75W-90 in my 4Runner T-Case. In part because I still had some left over from my diff job! So far, I haven't noticed much difference. I've engaged 4H and 4L, but haven't actually got out to do any 4-wheeling yet.
It's probably better than the stuff I drained out, which is what you see in the pic! :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
As I mentioned here:

Most later model TC's require a Dex III/Merc or similar type fluid but there are exceptions.

For example, my 2012 Frontier TC specs NissanMatic D (Dex III/Merc) a 7.5cSt@100C fluid, whereas the TC in my 2015 PathFinder specs a GL-5 75W90 an ~ 16cSt diffy lube.

Earlier Toyota TC's required a 75W90 GL-5 75W90 an ~ 16cSt diffy lube.

So please have your current OEM TC fluid analyzed to determine it's viscosity before selecting a TC replacement fluid,

Last edited:
Toyota makes tons of money for ignorance who buy their Gear oil at a stupid high price. Any 75W-xx oil should be more than enough and actually perform better on heavy-duty SUVs or trucks. I put 75W-90 Valvoline and Mobil 1 in my 2004 AWD Sienna and it is still in excellent condition after 200k+ miles. If we replace it regularly every 30-50k miles, any 75W-xx will work fine. For gear oil, some need 75W-140 with antislip differential, and you have to use it. But you can put 75W-140 to anything else in general, but they are not cheap.

Has anyone used Royal Purple Synchromax in the 4Runners transfer case?
It shows on the RP site as a proper fluid fulfillment.
This is what I put in the manual tranny of our 13 GT500. Going into second gear was never as smooth as the other gears. The Wife drives the car at least as much as I do, I didn't tell her that I changed the tranny fluid and when she got back from driving it, she said "What did you do to Shelby, it shifts so much better now"

I just noticed that Redline has come out with this which looks like it is targeting the OEM 75W requirement (and other similar applications as well) for the Tundra transfer case.

Mine is due for changing again, and they are now charging $69 per quart for the OEM Toyota fluid. The Redline is less than a third of the price, but coming from Redline, should be a quality product. Even the Redline is slightly more viscous at 100C than the OEM fluid, but not by much.

Has anyone tried this? Better yet, is there a VOA somewhere?

Have been running 75w90 (Lucas) 2019 Tacoma blazing hot Oklahoma summers and freezing Colorado winters

Dumped the factory fill the first week we brought it home .....then again at 50k

Just about to hit 80k no issues

Toyota is in the game to sell products not just vehicles

Decided to raise this from the dead. I thought about going aftermarket for the TC in my 2021 Tundra.

I decided to use OE 75W LF from Toyota in the TC. Dealer in Vancouver here said MSRP was $91.77 CAD. Talked them down to $73.45 a L. I bought 6 so my next 4 TC changes are covered.

$73.45 CAD is like $54.70 USD. Not great. But when you consider what it would cost to get ravenol in Canada. Or even the redline is $30, I figured I wouldn’t mess with a good thing on such an amazing truck.

I'm going to be servicing a 2019 4Runner soon for a friend. It has 60k miles on it with no extended warranty, so the OEM warranty is no longer an issue. Regarding the xfer case fluid, it calls for the Transfer 75W LF fluid. As I understand it, this is the newer LV fluid that has a nod towards fuel economy.

As he does not care about the minimal fuel economy loss, and warranty is no longer in play, would there be any other reason to be concerned about using a typical 75w-90 GL-5 gear oil in the transfer case? Cost is the issue; the OE fluid is crazy expensive, and I believe that a typical syn GL-5 would suffice for far less expense.

Does anyone know of a reason to not use the GL-5 in this specific example under these parameters?

I'm going to be servicing a 2019 4Runner soon for a friend. It has 60k miles on it with no extended warranty, so the OEM warranty is no longer an issue. Regarding the xfer case fluid, it calls for the Transfer 75W LF fluid. As I understand it, this is the newer LV fluid that has a nod towards fuel economy.

As he does not care about the minimal fuel economy loss, and warranty is no longer in play, would there be any other reason to be concerned about using a typical 75w-90 GL-5 gear oil in the transfer case? Cost is the issue; the OE fluid is crazy expensive, and I believe that a typical syn GL-5 would suffice for far less expense.

Does anyone know of a reason to not use the GL-5 in this specific example under these parameters?
75W-90 SHOULD work, but you don't need it and probably slow engage in really cold.

I recommend and use Amsoil MTF. Generically speaking a MT fluid in the 9.5cSt@100°C range.

Back