Toyota Tacoma's: Sellers or buyers market?

I've noticed on other Tacoma forums members are requesting private party values of their Tacoma's. For grins and giggles I sometimes go to KBB or NADA for private sales values in my zip code area. Both reference sites I mentioned also provide for comparison same year and model Tacoma's that are for sale also. They're usually dealerships that are 3K to 5K higher than KBB or NADA private party sales?

I guess my question is: are Tacoma's actually selling that much higher than Blue Book due to demand or are dealers coming down substantially just to appease buyer into thinking they're getting a deal? Your thoughts.

The market on Tacomas.....new and used is very strong. Inventories for both are low. Supply is way under demand.
This.
I appraise trade-in vehicles for our dealership. Tacos go fast if, and when we get one in. And it is usually priced on the high side.
We have dealerships from 300 miles away wanting to buy our used inventory at retail pricing.

My sister had a '01 PreRunner in gold up until 2012. Total garage queen. Even at 100,000 + miles, it was common for people at gas stations and grocery stores to approach her in the Atlanta area to buy her truck. After moving to Phoenix, she decided to sell it, and her 2-doors-down neighbor jumped on it at full KBB. If you see one of that generation on a dealer lot, you better act fast. Definitely a sellers' market.

You can thank that one episode of Top Gear for this. It seems ever since that episode went viral, prices of Tacomas have been steadily above book value.

Funny enough, the Tacomas in the US barely resemble the Hilux sold everywhere else.

B0BF62DA-29F2-4A70-932B-D482552AAE63_1.jpg

The used car market in general is strong for sellers right now, and it's got to be crazy good for popular models.

A Tacoma is useless to me personally, it's way too small inside for a tall person, and lacks the capabilities of larger vehicles. The same of course could be said for any midsize truck. But to each their own.

I'd say sellers market for sure. Just for fun I just looked up the kbb for my Ram 1500 and the private party value is $3k more than what I paid for it 2 years and 16k miles ago and I bought it from a dealer.

It is going to be a seller’s market for a while. I’ve already heard reports of leases unable to be bought by the current customer thanks to a waiting list for some models. I had a co worker who was planning on buying her leased Jeep only to be sold to a customer who was willing to pay nearly 4K more than the lease buyout.....

I just watched a 2005 Cobalt with 201k miles sell for 5k....it’s nuts out there!!

The 7 week interruption in production in the spring has been difficult for Toyota to overcome. Demand was already very high pre-Covid. And even during the time when many dealers were shutdown to foot traffic, Internet sales were much stronger than projected.

It's gonna be awhile before the supply catches up to demand.

The 7 week interruption in production in the spring has been difficult for Toyota to overcome. Demand was already very high pre-Covid. And even during the time when many dealers were shutdown to foot traffic, Internet sales were much stronger than projected.

It's gonna be awhile before the supply catches up to demand.

Around here , everyone bought a pickup and a boat or a pickup and a camper since they couldn't really leave the area to go vacation. Two fold problem.

New trucks stopped production for a period of time along with everyone deciding they suddenly need a truck

Didn't realize demand for used vehicles is still so high. Fleet of three is two to many and was thinking about selling off a couple and trying something different. Like a Toyota Land Cruiser. But then the conundrum. Limited choices and inflated prices.

Around here , everyone bought a pickup and a boat or a pickup and a camper since they couldn't really leave the area to go vacation. Two fold problem.

New trucks stopped production for a period of time along with everyone deciding they suddenly need a truck
I have a friend who is a manager of a Toyota dealership. New Tacomas are scarce. Currently all that roll in are either pre-sold or last a few hours on the lot.

He said this has also driven up the prices on used Tacomas....which were high to begin with. Dealers are sometimes having to put close to retail money in used ones to make deals stick. That leaves little room for profit and higher prices for consumers looking for used ones.

So if you're in the market for a new one....get in line and be prepared to pay closer to MSRP. And if your looking at a used one that's priced above retail....don't assume it's because the dealer is trying to slam dunk on you. There's a good chance they have a ton of money in it.

He told me Toyota is currently running 100% capacity on all 3 Tacoma plants....although Texas will be spooling down Taco production soon to make way for the upcoming new Tundra and Sequoia

Toyota tax. One and two year old trucks selling for at or above new product retail.

10 year old trucks selling for 2/3 of their original price.

A rust free example will get top dollar. Even rusty trucks Still within the frame warranty period will get full price.

Back