Toyota Tacomas recalled for Front Drive Shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this of interest.

Toyota Recalling 8,000 Tacoma Pickup Trucks Over Propeller Shaft
Friday, February 12, 2010

Print ShareThisWASHINGTON — Toyota is recalling about 8,000 Tacoma pickup trucks from the 2010 model year to fix a problem with the front propeller shaft that could cause the vehicle to lose control.

The automaker told dealers Friday that a crack could develop that could lead to the front driveshaft separating and falling from the truck, causing the vehicle to lose control.

While small in number, the recall is the latest issued by Toyota, which has called back 8.5 million vehicles worldwide for faulty gas pedals and brakes. The recall involves 4-wheel drive Tacomas that were built from mid-December 2009 to early February 2010.

A notice to dealers says the part was manufactured by Dana Corp.

A Toyota spokesman says most of the vehicles are on dealer lots or in the distribution chain.

Gotta love how Toyota makes it a point to tell everyone who the supplier is with each recall. Toyota specs, Toyota approval, Toyota inspection before assembly.... but lets mention the supplier, you know, just to deflect a little.......

I think that's the media trying to make it look like Toyota is deflecting.

Maybe Dana was the one that informed Toyota about the possible defect. Maybe the notice just included the manufacturer as part of an innocent description of the part. Who knows...

The supplier is ultimately responsible for the quality of the supplied part; they deliver a signed Certificate of Compliance with every lot shipped. You cannot "inspect quality in" with piece parts on the assembly line, though production associates should be trained to alert supervisor/engineering of any suspect differences immediately. I wonder if dana made the defective pinion yoke and saddle that was breaking on the new V8 Tundra when it first came out a couple years ago. I recall that recall ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The supplier is ultimately responsible for the quality of the supplied part; they deliver a signed Certificate of Compliance with every lot shipped. You cannot "inspect quality in" with piece parts on the assembly line, though production associates should be trained to alert supervisor/engineering of any suspect differences immediately. I wonder if dana made the defective pinion yoke and saddle that was breaking on the new V8 Tundra when it first came out a couple years ago. I recall that recall ...

I know that Dana builds the Titan/Armada differentials that had major problems. Not saying Dana only builds junk, I've had several jeeps with Dana axles and never had any problems.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
Gotta love how Toyota makes it a point to tell everyone who the supplier is with each recall. Toyota specs, Toyota approval, Toyota inspection before assembly.... but lets mention the supplier, you know, just to deflect a little.......

Didn't Ford blame Firestone
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The supplier is ultimately responsible for the quality of the supplied part; they deliver a signed Certificate of Compliance with every lot shipped.

what do you do when you are the supplier(dana), and they(Toyota) are having you make sub-standard parts that are not up to your usual standards, basically because they(Toyota) want it cheaper. All you are doing at that point is making what they tell you to make, and collecting the check.

Now I know suppliers can screw up, but lets think for a minute, IIRC they also made Tunda/Tacoma frames, that had issues with rotting away from rust..... but at the same time, that supplier also made frames for other brand trucks that didn't have these problems... At that point I think the blame would come on either the materials used to make and coat the frame, or the design..... obviously both results end with Toyota taking the blame, as they are the ones who approved the stuff in the first place.

maybe it was secretly Dana screwing up all the Toyota parts, and no other car companies parts, just to make Toyota look back.... there is a conspiracy theory for all you Toyota kool-aid drinkers........

be honest guy, its in the news, Dana advised Nhtsa Toyota Ford and Nissan about the problem with the driveshaft.Ultimatly Toyota decided to also initiate the recall since the responsibility bears on manufacturer shoulder.

Now the question is, how many ford gm chrysler parts do you have when you buy a Toyota ? that would explain a performance equal to what the big three was use to produce IOW cr p cr p and more cr p

Whether this is accurate or not I remember hearing somewhere awhile ago that apparently Toyota tended to constantly worry about things and if it had nothing in general to worry about, it would worry about that. Obviously there is the possibility that for the next while there will be many systems looked at for fear of another dilemma as they are now in and that if they have any issues that were on-the-fence so to speak on whether to be reviewed or not, they will not be taking any chances and we'll be seeing more recalls for a range of issues.

I think that they should be commended even if they could be accused of being asleep at the switch. Is it hard to believe that there might have been some disconnect between Japan and North American operations? I'll bet there were days at GM in the past that the top floor of one building wasn't aware of proceedings on the bottom. I still won't be switching brands for the foreseeable future after 25 years of trouble free Toyota ownership.

--

Nissan had Dana make diffs for the Frontier with 2 spider gears, not 4. Needless to say, there were problems. I would suspect this is all the result of Toyota trying to chepaen their parts to increase profits.

Did anyone see the news article that was out this week about the rear leaf spring mounts? They showed mounts on trucks barely 10 years old almost completely rusted off.I guess that happens when you rely solely on recycled scrap metal to build your products.How much cheaper can they build toyotas? Shopping for a toyota must be hard, which vehicle do you want to risk your life with?.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Did anyone see the news article that was out this week about the rear leaf spring mounts? They showed mounts on trucks barely 10 years old almost completely rusted off.I guess that happens when you rely solely on recycled scrap metal to build your products.How much cheaper can they build toyotas? Shopping for a toyota must be hard, which vehicle do you want to risk your life with?.,,

The rust issue with Toyota Trucks has been a problem for quite a while. There are reports of them rotting so badly there are some that actually split in half between the cab and the bed. There are pictures and stories scattered about on the WWW, showing what happened and how Toyota is dealing with it. They've actually had to buy a few back, and are dealing with it on a case by case basis.

I've lost just about all repect for them in the past few months. They are going to have one [censored] of a time repairing that.

Originally Posted By: Hermann

Didn't Ford blame Firestone
whistle.gif

And wasn't one of the "great" things about Toyota was that they did things differently than Detroit? Or at least they used to.....
whistle.gif
whistle.gif

We need to take a slightly bigger view of all this...

I recall a while back where Toyota in an attempt to improve profits was going to cut supplier costs by a certain percentage.

Not sure if they had a chance to implement that or not... and whether this is a direct result. As tempted as they will be to keep up their profits... they will be rethinking this right about now and need to chart a future course to achieve the correct balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back