Toyota Tacoma will be made in Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by Ws6
I only buy JDM at this point. It's all I've owned for the last half decade, and life has been so much better.

Your thinking tends to pan out for many. I remember back when you could buy a Japan made or US made Toyota Camry, many buyers said there were clear differences between what should have been identical vehicles with most saying there were various items in the US made version that appeared to be of lesser or inferior quality to the Japanese produced vehicle, I believe that. The Honda Fit, and also Toyota Yaris are also good examples of where the Japanese made item appears to be of better overall quality in various ways compared to the units made in other countries.

My JDM NIssan had major design issue with eating brakes, E steering, heats shield rotting off at welds and poor fuel economy

Nice car, but no assurance of a trouble free car.

I have lots of Made in Mexico products that wonderful like my 10 year old Sony Bravia HDTV, 9 year old Thinkpad and wife's VW Tiguan.

I am proud to buy Made in North America products both north and south of us.

That all being said like majority of you would never consider buying a Tacoma pickup anyway irrelevant to origin.

Plus the tacos in Mexico are the bomb. Go to San Diego some time and go to any taqueria. Heaven on earth.
Oh yeah, finally got the new top installed.

68 new top side.jpeg

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

My JDM NIssan had major design issue with eating brakes, E steering, heats shield rotting off at welds and poor fuel economy

Nissan quality has been questionable since Renault took over the reins, they became a second tier manufacturer since then when it comes to quality.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by Ws6
I only buy JDM at this point. It's all I've owned for the last half decade, and life has been so much better.

Your thinking tends to pan out for many. I remember back when you could buy a Japan made or US made Toyota Camry, many buyers said there were clear differences between what should have been identical vehicles with most saying there were various items in the US made version that appeared to be of lesser or inferior quality to the Japanese produced vehicle, I believe that. The Honda Fit, and also Toyota Yaris are also good examples of where the Japanese made item appears to be of better overall quality in various ways compared to the units made in other countries.

Nissan is an outlier. The French own them, anyways.

My Mexican 2019 Ford Fiesta has been great so far. I was honestly surprised at how good the fitting and build quality was when I test drove it, and nothing has happened yet to change my mind.

When my JDM 2012 Mazda3 met Bambi I didn't replace it with another 3 because they had started making them in Mexico by then. I bought a 2016 Mazda6 instead because it was made in Japan. My Fiesta experience has made me consider buying a Mexican Mazda if I ever go shopping for one again.

FWIW my Mississippi-built 2017 Nissan Titan has been trouble free so far. Maybe I'm just lucky?

My 2001 Tundra was made in Texas. There are lotsa Mexican workers in Texas.
Heck, there are lotsa Mexican workers in Silicon Valley!

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Yes, but this is about location and living conditions and so forth, and its effect on production quality, as well as the whole "distance from the mothership" thing. Not racism against someone for their country of origin.

I thought they've been Mexican made for a while? Previously made in San Antonio IIRC.

I once said the opposite, but I'll eat crow now. I'd still buy one.
21.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Yes, but this is about location and living conditions and so forth, and its effect on production quality, as well as the whole "distance from the mothership" thing. Not racism against someone for their country of origin.

Distance from the mothership? Toyota is in Japan. That said, they should have no business manufacturing anything here.

Toyota has a good supply stream setup. Stands to reason since they own the companies.

Wherever the assembly plant is located, Toyota uses the same automation and robots they use in Japan. Denso and other suppliers in the Toyota family locate their plants nearby.

A good example is the new Mazda Toyota plant in Alabama. MTMUS. The suppliers are finishing up on their facilities as we speak.

Last edited:
My 2003 Tacoma was manufactured at the joint owned NUMMI plant in Fremont, California by UAW. This was a joint plant with GM and Toyota. When GM went bankrupt Toyota closed the plant that had been in operation since the 70's. They moved the operations to San Antonio which is were my 2008 Tundra and 2014 Tacoma are manufactured. Toyota has been making some trucks in Mexico for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back