Toyota Tacoma sales crater YoY Q1 2024

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Since apparently we are now titling threads like Youtube clickbait, guess I'll join the mud slinging.

While Toyota Tundra sales are up almost 9,000 units YoY (more than double the total number of Titans Nissan sold), the same cannot be said for the Tacoma, whose sales for Q1 2024 were reduced to less than 50% of the Q1 2023 sales.

I'm not sure if Tacomas are "rotting on lots" or not, I don't make it a point to drive by our local Toyota dealer and draw conclusions by glancing at their inventory, but maybe they are! Let's see how many clever quips we can come up with to explain this, maybe:

- Toyota quality just isn't what it used to be
- My grandfather's uncle's best friend's cousin's pet beaver owned a Toyota in 1972 and it turned him into a communist, never again!
- Their new cars look like anime and it causes "weird tingly feelings" that make me uncomfortable

Screen Shot 2024-06-09 at 1.05.12 PM.jpg

2024 US Pickup Truck Sales Figures By Model | GCBC (goodcarbadcar.net)

Its mostly due to the generation changeover.

IIRC The ranger also suffered for same reason.

Now they are widely available but also cost $$$$ more.. so second quarter results will be more interesting.

Now they are widely available but also cost $$$$ more.. so second quarter results will be more interesting.
No way man, there can't be external factors :whistle:

That's really interesting. I wonder if a number of people have waited to get a Ford Ranger Raptor? I think the high price plus Toyota's weird "We get what we get" allocation could be part of it. The weird thing is that you can custom order a Lexus but Toyota is adamant that dealerships take what they make. I read somewhere (maybe on here?) That a guy wanted a new Toyota Supra in the bright yellow and with the manual transmission. Several dealerships more or less said we'll likely get one or two and have to trade if we can find it. Apparently he walked into a BMW dealership specced his M2 put down a deposit and four months later took delivery.

Its pretty bad in the used market as well when you see mid 201X years Tundras and Tacomas selling as high from $20K to $30K with a lotta miles on them. I wonder whats making their value going up?

I usually like to read on Engine Reviews from various places before deciding on a vehicle purchase. Though it seems even Toyota cannot escape the GDI-ification of the auto industry due to tightening emission standards even though the irony itself is the engine is dirtier operating on the inside and more intensive and invasive maintenance needed overtime as they age.

The site I usually read on Toyota engines when looking for a Toyota model to buy. This has lead me to get the Yaris at the time for obvious reasons which you will find in their engine reviews pages.

When I look at modern Toyotas I feel they have missed out or left from their conservative development mindset. Which is why waiting a few years from a first generation model until common problems have been remedied.

Its pretty bad in the used market as well when you see mid 201X years Tundras and Tacomas selling as high from $20K to $30K with a lotta miles on them. I wonder whats making their value going up?
FUD, desireability, availability?

I know at the dealership the salesman have been saying everyone sees the new Tacomas and says pass the two main reasons listed they said are the looks but also the turbo 4 cylinder engine instead of a V6. Of course that’s just hearsay but it makes sense. I think since April we’ve maybe sold 3 and the rest have sat on the lot.

Could it be that the numbers are way down due to both new 2024's Tacoma and Ranger's just starting to trickle out in the first quarter.

Rumor has it that the outgassing of the Cambodian hard plastic that is 60% of the Tacoma's vehicle build, is causing males to have swelling of their mammary glands and uncontrolled emotions that lead to crying and sniveling with a propensity for rom-com's and daytime television drama's . That's what the internet say's and it is the bedrock of truth.

Could it be that the numbers are way down due to both new 2024's Tacoma and Ranger's just starting to trickle out in the first quarter.

Die hard Taco fans just plain don't like the turbo 4 cylinder, even though Toyota gave them the torque they've been begging for.

Here's some more power - Nooo it's a 4 cylinder! Rofl

They finally gave us disc rear brakes, a better suspension, ability to put on 285 tires stock no lift.

However all the stuff people have been asking for cost money.

Hell, any truck is ungodly expensive now. There are some mid sized trucks that are less expensive, that's true. The value is up to the consumer to decide which one they want. I don't have much faith in Chevy or Ford. At this point with the Tundra fiasco my biased (yup, I admit it and won't deny it) Toyota fanboyism is starting to teeter.

Sales have pretty much doubled for April and May.

Jan. 8203
Feb. 5045
Mar. 8310
April 15,859
May. 17,091

Why does it seem the Tacoma is the only model getting crucified over losing the V6? Colorado and Ranger are the same (except the new Ranger Raptor) and have been I4 turbos for a longer period of time. Only the Frontier retains the V6 in that class.

The complaining about the price is a little much as well. You can get a TRD Off Road for mid $40k. You want the bells and whistles, you're over $50k. But the Trail Boss on the Chevy side doesn't even come with cruise control and isn't much cheaper.

The base trims are the Tacomas that don't seem to be selling well.

I said this in another forum...when it comes to prices, don't hate the player, hate the game. It's all expensive.

Why does it seem the Tacoma is the only model getting crucified over losing the V6? Colorado and Ranger are the same (except the new Ranger Raptor) and have been I4 turbos for a longer period of time. Only the Frontier retains the V6 in that class.

The complaining about the price is a little much as well. You can get a TRD Off Road for mid $40k. You want the bells and whistles, you're over $50k. But the Trail Boss on the Chevy side doesn't even come with cruise control and isn't much cheaper.

The base trims are the Tacomas that don't seem to be selling well.

I said this in another forum...when it comes to prices, don't hate the player, hate the game. It's all expensive.

Tacoma fans are an eclectic bunch and losing the V6 was a death sentence apparently. Even though the outgoing 3.5 was put on blast by the same people.

A SR5 4 door with a modicum of equipment is approaching $45K. Ouch
Myself for one likes the idea of a 4 cyl turbo with lot of torque. Different strokes for different strokes
My closest dealer has over 20 SR5 Tacoma's between $42K and $51K. Just SR5's

Last edited:
Back