Toyota Tacoma 3.5L V6 plug change

2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road (4x4) with 6 MT and 3.5L V-6. (Uses direct and port injection). 70,000 miles. The first ~60k racked up were ~25/75 city/highway. But since the RONA I have been driving 10 city/highway. I always use top-tier regular; The last year has been mostly Costco (10% ethanol) or Liberty (100% gas). Interesting; owners manual says change plugs at 100K,BUT the first change should be at 60k for emissions reasons (?). Definitely runs better now (TBH: Also serviced at the same time: air filter and throttle body / PVC cleaned).

I guess these look ok. They are a little more "Ashy" that I expected, but not loads of carbon, other than around the very edge. First time for me servicing an engine like this. I don't run it very hard, but probably lug the engine around town more than I should. What do you all think?
IMG_0778.jpg

Looks better than the Highlander 2GR-FKS that I recently did:

They could easily have gone another 25k-30k. Plugs #4 and #6 look like they have been exposed to a small amount of oil during their use. Nothing alarming.

I wonder what's with Toyota and their quirky spark plug designs? Reminds me of the Toyota 3VZ-E V6 truck engine on an engine sticker that dual ground spark plugs are required.

I wonder what's with Toyota and their quirky spark plug designs? Reminds me of the Toyota 3VZ-E V6 truck engine on an engine sticker that dual ground spark plugs are required.
The two side ground straps provide a way for the spark to still happen if the main electrode is fouled. It’s a “self-cleaning” design.

Back