Toyota T-IV 35174 Miles 2004 4.0L Toyota 4-Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my UOA (trans fluid) on my 2004 Toyota 4 Runner 4.0 V-6 with 4 speed auto trans.

Iron 43
Chromium 0
Lead 31
Copper 56
Tin 2
Alum. 20
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 43
Boron 56
Sodium 1
Magniesium 0
Calcium 69
Barium 0
Phosphorus 169
Zinc 27
Molybdenum 0
Titainum 0

Visc @ 100 5.66
Glycol NEG
Nitr N/A
OXD N/A

TAN 1.1

Oil Analyzers Comments: No Corrective action required, oil is suitable for continued use.

Any idea if the wear numbers are normal?

ATF is thin. Wear looks normal if not pretty good. AW makes good trannies.

Flush it or perform several drain/refills, and check back in 30k miles.

quote:

ATF is thin. Wear looks normal if not pretty good. AW makes good trannies.

Flush it or perform several drain/refills, and check back in 30k miles.

I am going on a 2500 mile road trip in a week. Should I flush this before I go? What should the Viscosity be for this ATF?
Advise please!

The lab report said the oil is suitable for continued use. I doubt that a 2500 mile trip will destroy the oil, the transmission or anything else.

If you are planning to put AMSOIL (or another synthetic) ATF in, then if wouldn't be a bad idea to change it out (or at least a partial change). If the clock whizzes by too fast, have a great trip.

quote:

The lab report said the oil is suitable for continued use. I doubt that a 2500 mile trip will destroy the oil, the transmission or anything else.

If you are planning to put AMSOIL (or another synthetic) ATF in, then if wouldn't be a bad idea to change it out (or at least a partial change). If the clock whizzes by too fast, have a great trip.

I am on the fence about using Amsoil. I am not sure about using a universal fluid in place of the Toyota Type IV.

I have a hard time trusting the labs comments. Oil Analyers comments are exactly the same on each one of my UOA's from them. At least blackstone personalizes the comments on each one.

Looks to be an excellent report to me. I would plan on a 50,000-60,000 change interval if you get a complete change or 30,000 mile changes if you drain only part of the fluid at each change.

Wear looks fine to me...but ATF did thin out. Personally I don't see a problem, but I think most ATFs start out in the mid 7 range.

If I'm not mistaken, per the Amsoil Product app guide, a drain/refill for this transmission only removes 2.1 quarts, and the transmission has a total capacity of 13 quarts? I'd drop the pan, change the filter, and refill with new Amsoil ATF or Supertech Dexron III (H) and the correct amount of Lubegard "Black" HFM Modifier. In addition to dropping the pan, "run" 12 qts of Supertech ATF thru the lines to remove as much of the old fluid as possible.

Again, there is probably nothing wrong with the fluid, but it wouldn't hurt changing it. Since you seem uncertain about the actual condition of the fluid, send your analysis results to Terry and he'll interpret them for a very reasonable fee. However, you may also want to consider calling up Oil Analyzers and speaking to one of their techs (actually I think they suggest that you speak to Amsoil Tech Services for all questions) and ask for their opinions.

I think for this first flush I will just use the toyota fluid. After the powertrain warranty I will use a good syn fluid.

quote:

what is this Lubegard Black HFM modifer you type of?

Link

You can buy it from Napa or Pep Boys for around $10-$13 per 10oz bottle. After the warranty, you can use this stuff with Supertech Dexron III-H for a $2.50/qt poor man's replacement for Toyota T-IV. If you're flushing the transmission, you'd flush the transmission with the Dexron III-H first...once you're finished (when all of the fluid in the system is new, you add the correct amount while the transmission is in park with the engine idling.

With that Toyota transmission I would just do the 30K mile drop the pan clean the magnet and the filter screen service and stay with type IV Toyota fluid for as long as you own the 4runner. It will live for the life of the Toyota 250K++ miles, why play games and experiment with such a dependable vehicle? If it was a Ford or GM then run the synthetic but not your Toyota SUV.

Like your 4Runner, my 2003 Tundra specs the T-IV. Here's what I did: I installed a Magnefine filter in-line between the transmission and the radiator ATF oil cooler. I pan drain the transmission every 15,000 miles using Toyota T-IV (a 4L can is the correct amount for my pickup) and change out the Magnefine every 30,000. Although Amsoil makes good products (I use some of it) I'm not about to risk such an expensive transmission to ANY 'universal' or other fluid not meeting Toyota's specs for T-IV and would likely not switch from Toyota T-IV for any brand until and unless Mobil 1 ever produces a T-IV spec. fluid. The transmission filter is just a screen, so why bother taking the pan off, especially as it's so darn easy to drain the pan via the drain bolt...and the in-line filter's almost as easy to replace as the pan drain of the fluid.
That's a good-looking analysis. It's further evidence the T-IV's good stuff and the A/W transmission is a good one...BTW, all these Toyota transmissions seem to show pretty high levels of copper, which I believe is likely bleeding from the cooler in the radiator into the fluid.
Go on your trip. I'd do whatever maintenance you choose after your return.

If this is indeed your first drain & refill (or did you use a power flush?), I would drain & refill again in 10k miles with T-IV fluid to ease your mind. I would then drain & refill every 15-30k miles.
Does it really only drain a little over 2 qts? If so, I would probably drain & refill every 15k miles.

Dropping the pan and looking at the magnet and cleaning the screen lets you know if you have any problems going on inside the transmission. But with your setup you would know based on the looks of your inline filter. You have a good set-up.

Boaz, benjamming brings up a good point. Believe it or not, sometimes the capacities Toyota lists in the owner's manual are INCORRECT. To make matters worse, they don't correct it in subsequent years. Again, my Toyota is a different model from yours, but the owners manual shows, 2.1 qt. pan drain capacity, and it takes approx. 2 quarts MORE than that. BTW, I'm not incorrect, as the Tundra Solutions website shows all Tundra owners who have done an A/T pan drain have had exactly the same experience. All I'm saying is this: have a couple of quarts more T-IV than the manual says you'll need on hand. If your Toyota's pan capacity is less than the pickup's (which is entirely possible) you're not hurt...you'll simply have T-IV on hand for the next pan drain. Just be sure to check your dipstick carefully after putting in the Toyota recommended amount of fluid 'cause you sure dont want to either underfill OR overfill that A/T.

Thanks for all of the great advice fellas!

I just scored 8 quarts of toyota T-IV for 3.82 per quart today!

I have an 03 Tacoma which I suspect has the same transmission as this 4 runner. Although the factory recommended change interval is 30K, I (stupidly assuming pan removal was required, which was not)put it off and didn't do the change until about 40K.

During the last three or four thousand miles the transmission was shifting much more harshly, and at drain the fluid was somewhat darker than I am used to seeing with Dextron or Type F fluid in my other vehicles. Replacing the two drained quarts with new Type IV ($4/qt) eliminated the harshness.

Comparing the ease and low cost of changing vs the wear potential of not, there is NO reason to continue past the recommended interval. I will do another 2 qt replacement soon, then an annual replacement thereafter, which will equate to every 15K.

quote:

I have an 03 Tacoma which I suspect has the same transmission as this 4 runner. Although the factory recommended change interval is 30K, I (stupidly assuming pan removal was required, which was not)put it off and didn't do the change until about 40K.

During the last three or four thousand miles the transmission was shifting much more harshly, and at drain the fluid was somewhat darker than I am used to seeing with Dextron or Type F fluid in my other vehicles. Replacing the two drained quarts with new Type IV ($4/qt) eliminated the harshness.

Comparing the ease and low cost of changing vs the wear potential of not, there is NO reason to continue past the recommended interval. I will do another 2 qt replacement soon, then an annual replacement thereafter, which will equate to every 15K.

I think that I will do the 2 quart drain every 10-15k from now on. The fluid is cheap and it appears to pretty easy to change.

Does anyone know if the Toyota T-IV fluid is synthetic or regular ole conventional fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back