Toyota T-IV 35174 Miles 2004 4.0L Toyota 4-Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched for a VOA of the Toyota T-IV... no avail.

Maybe I will spring for a VOA of this mystery trans fluid!

I have T-IV in my 2005 Toyota Highlander. The manual states that unless I am using the vehicle to tow, I should not bother replacing the tranny fluid for 10 year or 100k miles, in which case it should be replaced at 60k miles.

Rrriiiiiigghhtttt!

If it is "conventional" tranny fluid, I guess they're hoping I trade that bad boy before it reaches it's tenth birthday.

BTW, it does have an "idiot light" for tranny fluid temperature. I believe it alternately flashes between "A/T temp" and "$$$$."

Anyone who believes ANY ATF (conventional OR synthetic) is 'lifetime,' either does not keep a vehicle over about 75,000 miles OR is the type person who also feels dealership mechanics are all well trained personnel who take great pride in their workmanship.

I think a fluid change would be advisable, and although the report wasn't too bad, the ATF is shearing and may be starting to oxidize.

I would NOT use the Lubeguard Black unless you have shudder or hard shift problems.

All ATF's shear down to between 4.8 and 6.5 cST after about 20k miles.

quote:

.....and although the report wasn't too bad, the ATF is shearing and may be starting to oxidize.

Not only is that not good (in my book), that ain't 100k mile tranny fluid!

quote:

All ATF's shear down to between 4.8 and 6.5 cST after about 20k miles.

Is that good or bad? ALL ATFs? Including the AutoGlide they just delivered today for my '01 Infiniti?

BTW: seven days from internet order to delivery. Thanks!

Although all ATFs do shear and oxidize, and would indeed benefit from a more frequent change out, think of the many drivers who run their car for 100,00 miles between a fluid change (many never change them at all) and their transmissions STILL last >150,000?

The mechanics at Spartan Toyota told my Dad to change my Mom's fluid in here Tundra every 15,000 miles. He told my Dad that if he does that here Tundra's transmission will last as long as the engine! You only get 4 quarts out when you pull the plug. I think her Tundra is an 2002 or 2003. Her Tundra takes Dex III not T-IV so we have been useing Mobil-1 Dex III fluid. Her truck is paid off and is getting ready for it's second ATF change.

You might look at Specialty Formulations Molakule can mix up T-IV fluid. If you want it localy try Maxlife ATF I belive the back panel list's T-IV.

My toyota tranny requires D3 so i picked up 2 cases of redline D4 about two years ago and so far so good. Every year i drain the pan and replace with new redline but im thinking on going to 30K or every other year to drain the fluid because its always been bright red. Between my stock cooler and TRD (Hayden) cooler i have a remote tranny filter that uses a moble one oil filter along with a filter magnet.

I have had Amsoil in my 01 Tacoma double cab since 30K and it has 50K on it now. No problems whatsover and its still bright red. I like the synthetic because it runs cooler and I tow in the heat of Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back