Toyota synthetic are made from pao!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, but the article seems to reference an API rated SM, GF-4, 0w-30 oil for racing applications.

True there is a difference but Pennzoil and mobil do there tests on motor oil on the track as well and then use that information for there passanger car oils.thats there extreme tests which is why they always say it can withstand the extremes. Here is where Toyota has joined together with mobil 1 in making Trd racing oil department.heres the link
It also explains why on the tgmo 0w20 says Toyota tested And approved.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20...nt#.U_DZ6tm9LCQ

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bloodknights
According to this report Toyota says it tests it oils in it's racing teams and are PAO based.
Just doing some research into what might also be in the tgmo 0w20

http://www.trdparts.jp/english/parts_oil.htm

We already know TGMO is Group III as per the MSDS for it. Go to Mobil's MSDS lookup page and plug in 0w-20. You'll see M1 EP 0w-20 is primarily PAO, whilst TGMO is almost entirely Group III.

The underlying messsge I'm getting from this is that, what is normally considered "too thin for me, CAFE oil" by many, is being developed for TRD and racing in general.

Originally Posted By: wemay
The underlying messsge I'm getting from this is that, what is normally considered "too thin for me, CAFE oil" by many, is being developed for TRD and racing in general.

They've been using thin oils like the M1 0w-20 race oil in NASCAR qualifying for a while now. For the actual main event though, they step it up.

But yes, as long as the oil is shear stable and oil temperatures are controlled to where they need to be, thinner oils can most certainly be used in a racing venue without issue.

Originally Posted By: wemay

What I'm getting is that TRD haven't proof read their page before putting it up.

Everyone on BITOG that's been paying attention knows that these engines were built specifically for TGMO, and that TGMO is more than adequate for track use...

I can't believe that the "performance" arm of Toyota would purposely throw away "huge" amounts of horsepower, fuel economy, and most importantly cold weather starting.

Thus my conclusion that it's a typo.

wemay, they are referencing an A3/B3 lubricant, which has to have an HTHS of 3.5 or greater...some on this board would accuse it of "really being a 40" due to that fact.

It's not an economy oil, nor CAFE, it's typical of HDMO and European long drain.

And interestingly (I've been called a purveyor of misinformation for making this statement before)

Quote:
Characteristics of oil film in high temperature (Comparison of HTHS viscosity)
The oil film is 17 percent thicker than the general 0W30 oil and it could also produce the same thickness to 0W40 and 5W40 in high temperature. It could be used safely
for turbocharged engines which require steadiness when in high temperature. Also extremely low friction characteristics of the base oil will give a great engine response in
both high and low rev.
● Suitable for Toyota 86 FA20 engine

Got it.
Just so everyone is clear
wink.gif
I'm neither a proponent or anti 20 or 40 weights. I know how any mention along the lines of accepting either can flare up a thread like a case of the shingles.

They say the got it from Total oil, and got the other grades from Wakos.

I thought Toyota got their dealership oils from Mobil or Idemitsu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back