Toyota Sienna oil/filter opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
[/qb][/QUOTE]Alan: Again, you're right that oil is a factor, but it's not the primary problem. I seriously doubt Toyota would have redesigned or revised coolant flow in the heads or redone the CCV system if the problem was traceable to oil only. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I'm not saying you're wrong, but where's the objective evidence that coolant passages were ever changed, one way or the other? I've seen lots of speculation about that, based upon the comments of an media/newspaper mechanic but no hard evidence.

The things that were changed as far as I can tell was the holes in the baffle in the valve cover were made larger so the engine can breath better if there is sludge buildup. And the latest 3.3L version has an extra 1/2 qt. for the sump capacity.

For the record, on my 98, I've never even had a hint of the PCV valve plugging up (yes, I inspect it regularly) and I do 10K changes with Redline 5W-30 with no apparent sludge whatsoever under the valve cover.

Free filter tip: Lexus/Toyota V8 filters are the same diameter as the v6 filters but are slightly longer. I snapped a picture comparing the two sizes:

-

I've heard good things about Toyota filters so I am going to be trying them from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back