Toyota sealed transmission change based on fluid weight?

I have a 2019 Toyota Rav4 / 9 speed AT "sealed" transmission that I would like to do a drain and fill on sometime soon - I think I am at 26K miles. So I have watched various videos on this - get transmission to perfect temperature, open drain, watch it go from solid stream to trickle - put plug back in. Seems simple enough, but the timing and process seem a bit cumbersome.

Since my trans has never been touched except for the factory - thoughts on doing the change by weight? Weigh pan, drain fluid, weigh fluid (total - pan) put back in exactly the same weight?

I have a very accurate digital shipping scale. This seems much simpler and more exact?

Anyone have an opinion?

Add a little more than you drain, bring it up to temp. Check temp anyway you want; even a cheapo temp gun on the pan will do, check fluid level via straw.
Of course, get it level.

Or just put back what you drain if you trust the factory. Your call. Whichever way, have fun!

I use a Painters Mixing Cup when I change the oil in my Lawnmower and Snowblower. Makes it easy to fill up.
Only $3.50 at Lowes
Screenshot 2022-09-17 at 12-05-37 United Solutions 2.5-Quart Plastic Paint Bucket Lowes.com.png

The 2wd models usually take exactly 3 qt if drained when cold. Not sure about the AWD ones.

I have a 2019 Toyota Rav4 / 9 speed AT "sealed" transmission that I would like to do a drain and fill on sometime soon - I think I am at 26K miles. So I have watched various videos on this - get transmission to perfect temperature, open drain, watch it go from solid stream to trickle - put plug back in. Seems simple enough, but the timing and process seem a bit cumbersome.

Since my trans has never been touched except for the factory - thoughts on doing the change by weight? Weigh pan, drain fluid, weigh fluid (total - pan) put back in exactly the same weight?

I have a very accurate digital shipping scale. This seems much simpler and more exact?

Anyone have an opinion?
We have a 2020 Toyota Rav 4 XLE, 8 speed automatic tranny.
When all this ice melts off, I am going to do a complete drain and refill using
Amsoil 100% Synthetic, fuel efficient signature series ATF.
I use the Amsoil Signature Series ATF in my 2002 Ford F-150 FX4, 4R70w, changed it all at 145,000 miles, now at 151,000, and it shifts as good or better than it did when I bought it in 2005 with 29,000 on it.
Just my 2 cents worth.
If anyone wants to bash me for using Amsoil, go ahead. I'm a 62 yr old Man. I can take it.
And, I'm not sorry I use it.
Have a wonderful day, everyone!

I use the Amsoil Signature Series ATF in my 2002 Ford F-150 FX4, 4R70w, changed it all at 145,000 miles, now at 151,000, and it shifts as good or better than it did when I bought it in 2005 with 29,000 on it.
Just my 2 cents worth.
If anyone wants to bash me for using Amsoil, go ahead. I'm a 62 yr old Man. I can take it.
You feel better? 😂

^ I’m with ya Dude! Us old guys have to stick together! If anyone here wants to bash me for using Supertech HM Dex/Merc in my 18 year old Chevy 5.3 with 235,000 miles on its original 4L60E…then bash away…I have NO REGERTS!, I’m a 70 year old man and I can take it as well! ( Triple3 in Mo…We told those haters off…didn’t we? ). ;)

^ I’m with ya Dude! Us old guys have to stick together! If anyone here wants to bash me for using Supertech HM Dex/Merc in my 18 year old Chevy 5.3 with 235,000 miles on its original 4L60E…then bash away…I have NO REGERTS!, I’m a 70 year old man and I can take it as well! ( Triple3 in Mo…We told those haters off…didn’t we? ). ;)
Groovy!..... Lol

Just my 2 cents worth.
How do you plan on doing the swap - full poor man's flush, drain and fill, machine?

I let the engine pump out what it can (cooler line) and replace a similar amount. Repeat this until clean fluid comes out, you only need to be close in the drain/fill volume the last time.

Back