Toyota RED vs PINK....still confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
My older Toyotas first coolant change was with "chameleon" fluid, then Valvoline Max something or other and now they have AutoZone universal in them. No chemical flushes were used. Just simple drain and fill. Used DI water to bring concentration to 50%.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I went with the red in my 2006 Lexus LS 430.. Longtime Lexus certified mechanic told me to go from pink to red and I have never looked back.

What was his/her reasoning behind that recommendation?

He is based out of Naples FL and he mentioned multiple water pump coolant leaks. He mentioned this to me when I had the 90K timing belt and water pump service done. Not everyone gets them, but I would rather not take a chance. I usually do a drain and fill every other year on my other cars and will do the same with my LS 430. The LS 430 is a great car and I want to keep it that way... Gotta keep the insides clean. LOL.

I just did an 06 Corolla with 23K (not a typo) on it that uses pink, the weep hole had a load of pink junk built up on it.
While I had the alternator out I did the thermostat mostly to get a look inside the engine, the thing was spotless inside as is the radiator so i can only guess there is a seal compatibility issue with the pump and its more time related than miles.

The new one is Aisin but I see the Toyota OE marking ground off so its a reboxed OE pump and will most likely suffer the same fate at some point.

If you use red, check out Pentofrost A1. It is concentrate just like Toyota Red.

If you use pink, there is Zerex Asian at Walmart for a good price. It is a 50/50 premix just like Toyota Pink. But a better option is Pep Boys OEM brand coolant made by Recochem. It's a concentrate for about $20/gal, the only concentrate I know of available in the pink formula.

Peak Global Lifetime will probably work too.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
Pink has a longer initial change interval, 10 years as opposed to 5 years for the red.

Actually according OM recommendations on 'after' FF use, Red is 2years/30k miles, Pink SLL is 5years/50k miles, whichever comes first.

SLL completely compatible with Red back spec'd to at least 1997. Seen ONE mention of 96 and earlier 'might' have some system solder compatibility issues, but I have no personal knowledge of that.

I reside the SLL pink leak talk to not much more than internet prattle. I'd have no concern using the pink in 2000 Toyota if I chose to use that.

As noted Pep Boys now sells a full strength OEM brand Asian PHOAT in either pink or red, same formula. Especially nice if a full system AF exchange is desired. Will also work for rad d&f, just prior mixed to 50% with distilled water.
That's why I said INITIAL fill-but as stated above, there have been documented WP weepage issues with pink-my Mom's '06 Matrix 1.8 has it, but my wife's xB 1.5 (in my sig) hasn't needed cooolant in 80K/11+ years. Both will be getting Zerex Asian drain & fills before winter hits.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
Pink has a longer initial change interval, 10 years as opposed to 5 years for the red.

Actually according OM recommendations on 'after' FF use, Red is 2years/30k miles, Pink SLL is 5years/50k miles, whichever comes first.

SLL completely compatible with Red back spec'd to at least 1997. Seen ONE mention of 96 and earlier 'might' have some system solder compatibility issues, but I have no personal knowledge of that.

I reside the SLL pink leak talk to not much more than internet prattle. I'd have no concern using the pink in 2000 Toyota if I chose to use that.

As noted Pep Boys now sells a full strength OEM brand Asian PHOAT in either pink or red, same formula. Especially nice if a full system AF exchange is desired. Will also work for rad d&f, just prior mixed to 50% with distilled water.
That's why I said INITIAL fill-but as stated above,..

According to the 01 Tacoma Owners manual and others specing Toyota Red, the initial fill of Toyota Red is the same as the subsequent d&f's, 2 year 30k miles as I stated in my post.

As for the water pump anecdotes I would not consider 10 years water pump life to be particularly poor. Especially when some Toyotas like the referenced Tacoma get timing belt and water pump service in that time frame anyway. But that's just me.

And using ZAF is likely fine. That said it too is longer life Asian PHoat in the same class as SLL pink. So using ZAF 'may' be no different than using SLL chemistry wise. One poster here has implied/stated they are the same, but I can't verify that.

All that said, as I'm using PGL concentrate successfully for 3+ years on an 01 Tacoma with original radiator either way it's of no concern for me.

Originally Posted By: Trav
more time related than miles.

Has been my experience as well on a few 2UZ-FE and 3UR-FE

I'm reading up Toyota coolant related threads.

I've concluded that the 1995 Camry which shows red coolant at the LOW level in the reservoir WILL NOT be adversely effected by bringing it up to FULL with Zerex Asian I have which is pink.

Am I correct? Kira

Just switch to Peak Global Lifetime as I have it in the Highlander , brother in-laws have it in two Lexus and the Infinitie with no problems and it is much easier to get in full concentrate than any of the others at a much better price.

Yes, I will do that.
I will change out all the fluid in one year and swap over to Peak Global Lifetime or Zerex Asian, whichever is around at the time.

The old lady who bought the car will have racked up a whopping 2,000 miles by then. That'll bring the '95's mileage to 109K. Kira

Recently bought coolant for the wife's 06 Lexus RX330.
I got the Pentosin Pentofrost A4. Says on the jug Lexus 05+, Toyota 05+ and something else listed.
It's the pink stuff - found OTC at local AZ.
There were others available too.
Point is the makes and applicable years listed on the jug label.

While it's nice that Pentosin/Pentofrost lists the years on the jug for convenience sake, that doesn't make others like Zerex Asian Formula or WM Valvoline Asian AF (same AF) any less effective or applicable. And at $8.38/gal currently for the latter with online purchase store pick up, my guess is it's currently the least expensive of the Asian LL (same spec as SLL) PHOAT 'premixes'.

And Toyota says that the pink SLL premix is compatible with, and can be used for the pre 2005 Toyota vehicles originally specing the Red LL, older shorter service in Phoat concentrate. So while not listed on the Pentofrost jug, doesn't mean it's pink P4 formula can't be safely used in pre 05 Toyotas.

As for the water pump anecdotes discussion, King Cake posted something interesting recently HERE about weep hole crud basically saying not an indication of water pump failure.

All that said, if one is more comfortable going with the shorter service interval Toyota Red concentrate in pre 05 Toyotas, use it. I went another way entirely three years ago in 01 Tacoma, switched from Red to Peak Global Lifetime concentrate. Original radiator and doing great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back