Toyota RED vs PINK....still confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I own a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S 6spd, with 26,000 original miles. The car is a garage queen that only sees a few hundred miles of use per year. I need to replace the coolant, and I have run into the issue of coolant style. Since the Celica is a PIA to replace the coolant and bleed the system, I called the dealer to inquire about having it done. They want about $140.00 to do a drain and fill, which I am fine with, but they will use Toyota pink as opposed to red. I called a few different dealers, and they all basically said they just use pink for everything.
It clearly states in my owners manual that my car requires "Toyota Long Life" coolant. What the dealers are proposing is the "Toyota Super-Long Life" pink coolant.
I have read over six pages of discussion on this topic here, and I still don't have a true definitive answer. Can my car safely use the pink super long life coolant? If I was to switch to the pink, would it need a complete system flush or would a drain and fill suffice? Since my car sits for extended periods of time, I don't want any issues with the wrong coolant style eating at parts of my engine/cooling system.
The red coolant is available on Amazon, as most dealers will not even order it any longer (https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Genuine-Fluid-00272-1LLAC-01-Coolant/dp/B004SL84Z0). Even in the reviews on Amazon, there are two different opinions as to if it is the same or different. Some say red is red and that's it and others say that pink is red, just diluted to be 50/50 ready to use coolant.
All I know is that my head hurts!

Thanks,
Zack

The pink stuff is now back-spec'ed for all Toyota engines. It is premixed and replaces the old red stuff.

If it were me I'd stay with what you've been using, the red. With how little you use your car you should get 3-5 years on the coolant, or even more. Isn't there a drain on the radiator? If so, just do 1-3 drain and refills on the radiator, which will take minimal venting. I went through the same decision with my '99 several years back....whether to stick with orange DexCool or shift it all over to the supposedly more friendly green. I stayed with DexCool because I've had no issues over 16 years and didn't want to risk mixing any remaining DexCool left in the system, with new green. Just did a drain and refill with DexCool last month. I went through a half gallon the non-diluted stuff mixed with distilled water. Still have enough left for one more drain and fill. The old stuff had been in there for 4 years and didn't show any degradation in color or appearance. When I checked the voltage potential that was a bit high. With the one drain/refill the V potential is quite low again and well within spec/norm.

When it comes to mixing coolants and their compatibility, I really don't trust anyone, not even OEMs. Stick with what has worked. The best thing that can happen is that you have no problem using the pink. What's the worst thing that "could" happen?

I never believed all the rumors floating around about how the Toyota pink coolant causes leaks until I experienced problems myself.

About 10 years ago, I used the Toyota pink coolant in my 88 pickup with the 22RE and sure enough my water pump leaked within a week. I changed the water pump and within a few months the new water pump leaked. I eventually switched the water pump again and used Zerex coolant this time and it never leaked again.

Fast forward to my current 2006 Highlander. I have the pink stuff from the factory and noticed that my water pump was leaking at about 100,000 miles so I had the water pump and timing belt changed at the same time. The dealer changed it and put in the Toyota pink coolant. The tech told me that the pink stuff does seem to be more problematic than the old red coolant but did not elaborate any further. I drove the Highlander about 5,000 miles and noticed that my radiator now sprung a leak and that the water pump is weeping coolant. I had the dealer warranty the water pump and I changed the radiator myself. I'm now using aftermarket coolant and have about 10,000 additional miles on the Highlander with no coolant leaks.

I can tell you that I won't be going back to the Toyota pink coolant anytime soon.

I don't think SLLC is sold as concentrate so that makes me wonder if it really is just LLC + water. Maybe a slight change in formula but if Toyota was already on the silicate free HOAT train in the early 2000s then what new tech would have come out in the mid to late 2000s anyway?

Pink has a longer initial change interval, 10 years as opposed to 5 years for the red. As long as you're not flushing, I would use the pink, it will last longer.

I have a 99 and 98 toyota, and I always use red. Pink has a reputation for causing problems, so I avoid it.

I use Recochem's Red from Pep boys on my Lexus, though I would have no qualms about using Zerex Pink. I wouldn't use Toyota pink as it's too expensive
cool.gif
- though IMO there is no need to worry about using it instead of, or in addition to, the red.

Quote:
Pink has a longer initial change interval, 10 years as opposed to 5 years for the red.

Actually according OM recommendations on 'after' FF use, Red is 2years/30k miles, Pink SLL is 5years/50k miles, whichever comes first.

SLL completely compatible with Red back spec'd to at least 1997. Seen ONE mention of 96 and earlier 'might' have some system solder compatibility issues, but I have no personal knowledge of that.

I reside the SLL pink leak talk to not much more than internet prattle. I'd have no concern using the pink in 2000 Toyota if I chose to use that.

As noted Pep Boys now sells a full strength OEM brand Asian PHOAT in either pink or red, same formula. Especially nice if a full system AF exchange is desired. Will also work for rad d&f, just prior mixed to 50% with distilled water.

You know I just went through this exact same thing with a 2010 Toyota Highlander and ended going with Peak's Global Lifetime Coolant (Gold Color) and have not look back. Did a very thorough flush with Distilled water and Blue Devel Radiator flush . Drained the engin block and lower radiator hose 3 times over a 3 day period until I was sure it was rid of the Pink Coolant then went with the Peaks as it was much easier to obtain and I already had two full gallan jugs of the concentrate less than 2 months old.

All I can tell you is that I've used the Toyota red since new in both my vehicles, changed out at about 35,000 to 40,000 mile intervals. Nothing has ever leaked and when I've replaced the water pump on the Sienna the internals have been pristine (somewhere there are pictures). All four Toyota dealers in Milwaukee sell both the red and the pink, and at my nearby dealer the red concentrate sells for $23.95 a gallon - which is reasonable. I don't know what the pink costs as I've never bought it.

The ECHO has never had the pump (nor any other cooling system component except the hoses) replaced so I really don't know what it looks like inside. But the radiator neck is clean so I assume the rest is OK too.

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
You know I just went through this exact same thing with a 2010 Toyota Highlander and ended going with Peak's Global Lifetime Coolant (Gold Color) and have not look back. Did a very thorough flush with Distilled water and Blue Devel Radiator flush . Drained the engin block and lower radiator hose 3 times over a 3 day period until I was sure it was rid of the Pink Coolant then went with the Peaks as it was much easier to obtain and I already had two full gallan jugs of the concentrate less than 2 months old.

PGL LL OAT is a good choice. Same thing I'm running in my Tacoma for ~3 years now after flushing the Toy Red using a similar distilled flush series till clear. PGL concentrate perfect for a complete exchange. You should be good now for ~5 years.

Originally Posted By: Zack1978
Would the Zerex Asian formula be my best bet?? The dealer said they would use whatever coolant I wanted to bring in.

Zerex Asian is perfectly fine, will last as long as Toyota's pink, and is competitively priced at Walmart. FWIW I topped up the red coolant in my car with Zerex when I bought it, with no ill effects.

I do recommend doing a distilled water flush to be thorough. I also do degreaser (Simple Green HD) and Sodium Citrate (Prestone radiator flush) flushes to be extra extra thorough.

I went with the red in my 2006 Lexus LS 430.. Longtime Lexus certified mechanic told me to go from pink to red and I have never looked back.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I went with the red in my 2006 Lexus LS 430.. Longtime Lexus certified mechanic told me to go from pink to red and I have never looked back.

What was his/her reasoning behind that recommendation?

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

What was his/her reasoning behind that recommendation?

He is based out of Naples FL and he mentioned multiple water pump coolant leaks. He mentioned this to me when I had the 90K timing belt and water pump service done. Not everyone gets them, but I would rather not take a chance. I usually do a drain and fill every other year on my other cars and will do the same with my LS 430. The LS 430 is a great car and I want to keep it that way... Gotta keep the insides clean. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back