Toyota "Recommends" Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Toyota's Canadian website anyway
wink.gif
:

Toyota FAQ

quote:

Even though it's more expensive, synthetic oil has a number of advantages over conventional motor oil.

-

Thanks for the link. I agree with their statement. My question is --which synthetic protects best? Some UOA's with Toyota synthetic would be nice.

Not likely to find many of those, Yota4. At least here in San Diego, my local Toyota dealer doesn't even stock any of their synthetics.

Of course, you could always score some, and submit your own UOA.

My 05 Tundra (USA) owners manual does not mention synthetics at all. 5W-30 is recommended for all temperatures, 10W-30 allowed for top off if 5W-30 is unavailable. 5000 miles or six months OCI for all operating conditions, no "normal" or "severe" schedule. Synthetics may be of value in winter in Canada, however.

I just did my first change at 3600 miles, because of the six month interval. The oil level was still full and the color amber, not dark. I see no point in doing UOA's at these short intervals until the powertrain warranty is nearly up.

(Toyota synthetic oil) Not available at 2 local Toyata dealers in FL. Can't even order it. One said they use/carry/sell Toyota approved Castrol Syntec 5W-30.

Well, I run Amsoil's Series 2000 0W-30 in mine, and I'm getting excellent results with it.

Try some of that, or Mobil 1, if you want to run a synthetic.

No need to move up to a 5W-40, Yoya4.

My 2000 Pontiac manual recommends the use of synthetic oil (5W-30 or 0W-30) in areas where the temperature goes below -20 F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back