Toyota recommends 91 octane in a late model Corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A post in a Toyota Corolla forum.
I may jump up to 89 octane but premium....
dunno.gif

The post:
This is something I've been wondering about for awhile... Most people have told me that higher octane gas in my Corolla is a waste of money, and won't increase performance at all. So I decided to email Toyota and ask them... here's their response:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate the time you have taken to contact us.
For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 or higher is recommended.
Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200603290683. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us. Toyota Customer Experience

Just thought this was interesting

Many of the newer Toyo engines have such antiknoxk and Timing retarding capabilities they will run smoothly on regular but will perk up with premium.. Only through recordkeeping and experimentation can an owner discover what grade is most cost effective.

quote:

Originally posted by Colt:

quote:

Originally posted by [TRD]RoLLa:
Do you have the 1zz or 2zz engine? The 2zz requires premium

I realize the Matrix XR and Corolla XRS calls for premium but this guy seems to be talking about the basic 1zz engine.

I'll post a question and ask what model he has.

His reply:

No I told them specifically I had a 97 Corolla DX... which is why I was a little surprised by their response.

I wonder if one email "call center" services the whole world. Then 91 RON European rating= 87 R+M/2 North American.
dunno.gif

PS, I know it says "Thank you for contacting Toyota USA".

My last tank with my 2005 Corolla Ce with the 1ZZFE motor running reg unleaded (Sinclair) was 42.89 mpg.

I've never heard a ping or knock from -15 below to 120+ F weather.

Toyota is talking about the 2ZZ XRS motor.

Their 1-800 Toytoa folks are not the smartest IMO...
twak.gif

Take Care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Wow, Bill - imagine what that little bugger'd do with unleaded premium! You'd probably have to stop by the side of the highway every twenty miles to drain a little gas out of the tank!
wink.gif

-Ray

(I wonder whether the 1-800 Toyota USA call center is located in India, Pakistan, or Bangledesh...)

quote:

Originally posted by [TRD]RoLLa:
Do you have the 1zz or 2zz engine? The 2zz requires premium

I realize the Matrix XR and Corolla XRS calls for premium but this guy seems to be talking about the basic 1zz engine.

I'll post a question and ask what model he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back