Toyota recalls nearly 1.7 million vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

That is quite unfortunate. I happen to be a fan of, and own several, Toyota vehicles. haha I grew up with them! haha

Oh well. It's hard staying on top I guess.

Originally Posted By: chet2
i am glad the domestics are finally catching up with asians

err...maybe better put..."the asian manufacturers are finally catching up with the domestics"? (regarding recalls)

I am not buying another Toyota again. I am constantly worried every day I go to my mailbox because I think I am going to get yet another recall notice.

To be honest, this is all rather depressing. My family had an original Hilux. That little truck could go through darn near anything. It never failed us, even as we lived in what was known as the rainiest, snowiest, foggiest and windiest part of Canada. That truck covered some of the most inhospitable logging roads and trails, yet never flinched. We still miss it, all these years later. The Top Gear program where Clarkson beat the living daylights out of a 4th-Gen Hilux always reminds me of the toughness of that little truck.

I only wish we could get the real Hilux now. I'd love a double-cab 4WD diesel version, not unlike the one that Top Gear took to the magnetic North Pole, in fact.

The only reason this is a news story is because it's Toyota.

Only 255,000 vehicles are recalled in America...the rest are overseas and models that aren't even SOLD here (like the Avensis). Move on, nothing to see here. *yawn*

It gets so old reading the same worn out lines in response to any recall. "Gee, glad I don't own THAT car." If we all vowed to not own a brand with recalls, we'd be walking to work.

I'm not to fond of anything Japanese these days.To many history channel world war two documentaries.Plus I was shocked how prejudiced the Japanese are to Americans on the Hawaiian Islands.Have a friend who lived on the big island 10 years and he says it's really bad.

coffee2.gif
I'll stick with keeping my 45MPG '01 Saturn SL1 running great for 200,000 more miles...

I just do not understand why people decide on a new toyota over a new ford. Not bashing toyota but imho ford is doing a lot of things better than most of their competition right now.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I heard it on the radio believe it or not.
No reports of any accidents or any problems from it yet though, so its really not a big deal.

It's ALL OVER the media today.

Ford's vehicle fire issue from a month or two ago didn't get nearly as much media coverage that I recall (no pun intended). Toyota's big in the news these days, so a 1.7m vehicle recall makes front page headlines. It's not until you actually read into it that you find that most of those are models sold in other countries.

You also didn't see people going into the thread about the Ford and Chrysler recall, or the Nissan fuel leak recall thread, and saying stuff like, "gee, glad I don't own them", or "why would anyone buy one of THOSE?"

I continue to think that this board has gotten too competitive, regarding what other people own and drive. We can't simply celebrate the diversity of vehicles available today; we have to put down other brands if and when they have to recall vehicles. But I know it's a behavior that will likely never change...

Originally Posted By: mcrn
I just do not understand why people decide on a new toyota over a new ford. Not bashing toyota but imho ford is doing a lot of things better than most of their competition right now.

I'll help you understand why I decided on a new Toyota over a new Ford (or anything else).

1. Past experience with Toyotas.
2. Past experience with other brands (including the one you mentioned).
3. Excellent local Toyota dealer.
4. Excellent price.
5. Fit-and-finish and ergonomics.

People who buy certain brands have typically had a good experience with that brand, and that goes for every brand. If you haven't had good luck with Toyotas and/or if your local Toyota dealer is poor and/or if you just plain prefer one brand over another, then the decision not to buy a Toyota is pretty easy for you.

Toyotas aren't for everyone. Just as Fords aren't for everyone or Nissans or Chryslers or aren't for everyone.

And yes, Ford is doing great things now, and I love to see that. I'm a "car guy", and that means getting excited about success for ANY brand, and being disappointed with failure for ANY brand.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I'll help you understand why I decided on a new Toyota over a new Ford (or anything else).

1. Past experience with Toyotas.
2. Past experience with other brands (including the one you mentioned).
3. Excellent local Toyota dealer.
4. Excellent price.
5. Fit-and-finish and ergonomics.

People who buy certain brands have typically had a good experience with that brand, and that goes for every brand. If you haven't had good luck with Toyotas and/or if your local Toyota dealer is poor and/or if you just plain prefer one brand over another, then the decision not to buy a Toyota is pretty easy for you.

Toyotas aren't for everyone. Just as Fords aren't for everyone or Nissans or Chryslers or aren't for everyone.

And yes, Ford is doing great things now, and I love to see that. I'm a "car guy", and that means getting excited about success for ANY brand, and being disappointed with failure for ANY brand.

Somehow I knew you had a toyota before you even added this post.

Soooo defensive...

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Somehow I knew you had a toyota before you even added this post.

He said he didn't understand, so I added my point of view.

You'll also note that I try to NOT be defensive of Toyota, and be fair across the board. I stated plainly that Toyotas aren't for everyone. They're not a "perfect" vehicle and they have problems just like every other vehicle does. I think that BECAUSE the story involves Toyota, it's getting wider coverage than it otherwise might, but I never let Toyota off the hook for fuel line leaks. If they have a problem, they need to fix it, which they are.

I understand your point. My dad had great experience with a 1980 toyota corolla. That thing new broke down and had the original clutch with 180K miles on it and when he sold it a mechanic test drove it and asked if he had just replaced the clutch because it felt new. Anyways now its many years later and when I just went to a car show a few months ago sitting in all the cars toyotas fit and finish did not feel on par to me with ford. I shut the door very hard on a new model toyota 4 runner and the noise it made was unbelievable. It literally sounded like a tin can. When I shut it my friend that I was there with, who is another car freak, looked at me and said what the .... So I opened another door and tried it because we both knew that it had to be a fluke and sure enough the same thing. The only vehicles there that seemed to have a worse fit and finish IMO was chrysler. I understand having really good past experiences with toyota and I think their older cars and trucks were some of the best and most durable vehicles ever made but I do not think that way of them now.

The only vehicles there that seemed to have a worse fit and finish IMO was chrysler. I understand having really good past experiences with toyota and I think their older cars and trucks were some of the best and most durable vehicles ever made but I do not think that way of them now.

I just traded off a 2007 Chrysler minivan that we bought new, and certainly concur with you on the fit-and-finish (since you mentioned that brand in particular). Panel gaps were rather large and not visually appealing. There are no such issues on my Camry, though the current generation Camry has been in production since 2007, so they probably have that kind of stuff nailed down pretty good. My '07 Corolla was tight as a drum, with a no-repairs record, so I figured I'd try another one. My '11 Camry has, so far, met the high bar the Corolla set, in terms of not costing me any time or money to fix it. My prior-and-only-other new car was back to the dealer the first week we owned it, so maybe I'm just easily satisfied after that. LOL

I also concur with you that Toyotas, in general, are probably not much better than most other major brands. Even in Consumer Reports, Toyota and Honda typically lead the reliability ratings, but it's not nearly as wide of a gap as it used to be. The domestic three have made huge strides and I'm genuinely happy for that. Chrysler's new-generation interiors appear to be second-to-none, at least in terms of visual appeal. Even the new Wrangler looks like an Audi from the inside.

We have two Ford Fusion Hybrids at work, and the Fusion is an excellent machine. I give Ford full credit (and always due) for the success they have in the Fusion. There are some things about it that I don't like, but I'd have no problem buying one for my wife or recommending it to anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back