Toyota recalls 550,000 cars for steering issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the United States, the automaker is recalling 283,200 Toyota brand cars, including the 2004 and 2005 Camry, Highlander, Sienna and Solara, the 2004 Avalon and the 2006 Highlander HV. Its recall of 137,000 Lexus vehicles includes the 2004 and 2005 ES330 and RX330 and 2006 RX400h.

I read in another article that it affected the V6's only, but no mention in the above posted link. Anyone know for sure?

V6's for those years. I saw a sweep across the tv screen that said crank shaft. Then found out it was for the pully causing the belt to slip and effecting the ps.

Boy they really let go. I would be angry as a Toyota customer just on principle. Even if my vehicle had no issues, Toyota got greedy and chinced out the CUSTOMER...the number 1 most important cog in the wheel.

I will just brush off the hate i'm gonna get, and I don't doubt they have MANY great cars on the road. I don't think anyone can seriously argue against Toyota going for quantity before quality for some time.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Boy they really let go. I would be angry as a Toyota customer just on principle. Even if my vehicle had no issues, Toyota got greedy and chinced out the CUSTOMER...the number 1 most important cog in the wheel.

I will just brush off the hate i'm gonna get, and I don't doubt they have MANY great cars on the road. I don't think anyone can seriously argue against Toyota going for quantity before quality for some time.

I agree, no hate from me. I'm in the process of talking my parents out of buying one. This should be the icing on the cake.

Frankly I don't think Toyota can win. They get bad mouthed if they do recalls, they get bad mouthed if they don't.

Just my 2 cents!
smile.gif

BTW, has anyone heard for sure which engine this recall is for? I see that was asked earlier, but so far I haven't found any info. on this.

Edit: Just found the answer for my own question.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toy...610_p3103978978

"No other Toyota or Lexus vehicles or these Toyota models with 4 cylinder engines are involved."

While I'm not a huge Toyota fan, (the Camry in my signature is my wife's car) I applaud Toyota (or anyone else) that proactively does a recall before there is a huge problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
Frankly I don't think Toyota can win. They get bad mouthed if they do recalls, they get bad mouthed if they don't.

I thought only GM could be in that unenviable club.

Thats what they get for having only focused on one thing....Beating GM to the top. Everything else came in second on their minds. Well, their paying the price now for the race to the top.

Last edited:
Are they really doing a recall on a pulley?

Lets see...

I had the water pump on my '98 Boxster go, which literally took out the serpentine belt, which killed the power steering on it, but there wasn't any recall for me.

I had the harmonic balancer on my '92 Buick Park Avenue go, which prevented the engine from running. If it happened while I was driving, that would have lead to heavier steering.

How come no love for me and my cars?

I think its ridiculous when a part that just breaks over time gets turned into a vehicle recall.

Seriously, are certain cars supposed to last forever now?

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Seriously, are certain cars supposed to last forever now?

^^A LOT of TOY owners are brainwashed into thinking that they actually DO last forever now, yes, even with no, or even negative maintenance on said owners' part.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
recall half a million cars only because of 79? Crazy, but I guess good example of care about customer...

This particular recall is not just an example of Toyota "care about customer..."

The decision to recall or not is sometimes vague. But this type of failure (loss of steering) is a safety defect defined by NHTSA that requires a recall.

NHTSA has some specific examples on when a recall is required...
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm
Examples of defects considered safety-related: Steering components that break suddenly causing partial or complete loss of vehicle control.

Examples that do not require a recall: Ordinary wear of equipment that has to be inspected, maintained and replaced periodically.

No bashing, just an example...

A center console cover may open in a crash is considered a safety defect (recall for my Olds), but a 3.4L LIM leak was an ordinary wear repair.

---------------------------------------------------------

1999 OLDS GLS 3.4L

Good they need to fix there intermediate shaft problem, they are as bad as GM in this area. My moms Rav4 clunks really badly and the dealer is useless.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Good they need to fix there intermediate shaft problem, they are as bad as GM in this area. My moms Rav4 clunks really badly and the dealer is useless.

Off topic but there is a bulletin for that:
TSB Number: ST001-08
2006-2008 models.

We have an occasional clunk on the passenger side of the '08 YARIS sedan and a more frequent creaking from the rear of the driver side . Sounds like the suspension in the back . As for the front , it may have something to do with the bolts for the control arms . Took it in for the T.S.B. for the clunk and couldn't duplicate it . Did put it on a lift for a look and said all is fine . We have doubts if they know what they're looking for . Warranty doesn't mean squat if you get it's normal or we don't hear it , so it's good to go . TOYOTAs ain't what they used to be . There's under 39,000 on the car .

Still love Toyota. Recalls dont bother me. Wait till the next manufacturer has its issues and folks will start bad mouthing them.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Still love Toyota. Recalls dont bother me. Wait till the next manufacturer has its issues and folks will start bad mouthing them.

I was a little harsh on my comment re; Toyota above^^ I have been treated very well by them and my Lexus dealership. So it really was not fair for me to make that comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back