Toyota RAV 4 oil confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got that from the Mobil FAQ page. I guess it may be possible to use a Group II+ in addition to Grp III to get a 0w20 but I am not sure.

Buster - I understand what you are saying and agree that a 0W20 must be based on synthetic. All I was saying is that (obviously) it does not have to be full synthetic to be labeled 0W20 due to the clearly labeled synth blend under the Honda name. No harm, no foul.

You're right, I missed those two, the Avalon is currently spec'ed for 5W30(2010 and up), the 2012 Venza 3.5L now requires 0W20 only. Like I mentioned they're all over the map, that's why we consult the updated chart before passing out oil for an oil change.

Percyiris, the following is the Toyota Canada Oil Recommendation chart:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2143463#Post2143463
As you can see the 0W-20 is recommended for both the L4 and V6 RAV4.

I wouldn't be too concerned about you're towing trip of the past.
The thing about towing is that it raises the possibility of high oil temp's which is a function of lots of large throttle openings including of course WOT. High oil temp's lowers the oil's viscosity but it's still very much application specific.
If you don't recall having to use a lot of extra throttle to tow the trailer especially on flat interstate highways then your oil temp's likely were well contained.

If one plans on towing a lot the best advise is to install an oil pressure gauge. This eliminates all the guessing associated with choosing an oil with the correct viscosity since it is effectively an viscometer.

While I was just at my local Toyota dealership, my go-to mechanic informed me that the Toyota 0W-20 (delivered to the dealership in bulk) is semi-synthetic. The 5W-30 ( full synthetic) is shipped in liter bottles. I think I'll switch to full synthetic (what weight, I'll decide after lurking at BTIOG for some more first rate opinions and information.) Thanks guys.

First time (ever) post user. Sorry for any mistakes in protocol and or spelling. In response to the oil change and shortly after engine knocking video. I had this exact same noise emitting from the engine in the same general area front passenger side,(surprisingly but unrelatedly, after an oil change). After reading many posts all over I was mistakenly convinced that the engine was slugged up and over with. After sending this video to a very good mechanic and a friend of mine, he immediately was able to pinpoint the source of the problem. It was a water pump. My 2010 Rav4 (V6) had only 59,000 miles and the pump was already going bad. The repair was covered under warranty which in the water pump case runs out at 60K miles. I can't tell you what a relief that was. In addition, when making this repair, it's a good idea to also have the belts changed since they have to come off anyways for the pump replacement.

Originally Posted By: Percyiris
While I was just at my local Toyota dealership, my go-to mechanic informed me that the Toyota 0W-20 (delivered to the dealership in bulk) is semi-synthetic. The 5W-30 ( full synthetic) is shipped in liter bottles. I think I'll switch to full synthetic (what weight, I'll decide after lurking at BTIOG for some more first rate opinions and information.) Thanks guys.

@100k I switched Kitacamry's 5w-30 dino to PP syn 5w-30 and got 5600 on the 1st OCI and have gone 5600k on this 2nd OCI with only 3/4qt gone so expect to go 7k before the level drops to "0"...and time for an OC...this OCI also included 3400 extended hiway miles at 70-80mph for 10 continuous hours...very good...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Percyiris, the following is the Toyota Canada Oil Recommendation chart:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2143463#Post2143463
As you can see the 0W-20 is recommended for both the L4 and V6 RAV4.

I always considered that chart as useless as conflicting too much with Toyota USA guidelines.
But, since the OP is actually from Canada, there is no harm following the Canadian advice.

Yes it is conflicting to the US charts.
I have no problem using the Canadian chart for New England, its a similar climate to southern Canada.
I think all the northern states would be fine with it, the problem if there is one IMO is when you start getting into southern parts of the US, their Canadian chart is not taking those kinds of ambient temps into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back