Toyota Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to believe but the Prius has been around for over 20 years since it’s release in Japan in 1997. So what’s the verdict? Is the hybrid system reliable and did the batteries end up lasting? Would you consider a used Prius?

Nope. Too complicated and expensive to fix. Biggest issue seems to be the AC system.it cools the battery.no ac= can't drive the car. My cost on a hybrid ac machine is $8k which I'm not buying. Plus tax too low to the ground.id tear it up on my road

Hey Eljefino ! Tell 'em about your old Prius. Worst I heard about was weak rings causing oil use after 150 K miles.
grin2.gif

Quote:

Biggest issue seems to be the AC system.it cools the battery.no ac= can't drive the car.

Which generation? Gen II just has a cabin vent to draw air into the battery area; It is unrelated to the AC

If you are talking about "your area of 115F" perhaps people should consider the high temps, but that would be with any hybrid or electric vehicle.

Last edited:
A former co-worker bought one the 2nd year it came out in the states. She still has it. The battery lasted about 9 years with a replacement cost of about $3000. Other then that it's been a good car for her.

Wife and I rode in a owner/operator Prius cab a couple years ago. Talked to the driver, who co-owned it with another cabby. He was very happy with it, said he could make a living because fuel costs were so much better than his previous cab, a Crown Vic. The Prius had about 700,000 kms on it, he said still on the original battery!

Originally Posted By: kwijibo
A former co-worker bought one the 2nd year it came out in the states. She still has it. The battery lasted about 9 years with a replacement cost of about $3000. Other then that it's been a good car for her.

I'd say a "normal" car would need an automatic transmission rebuild or replacement about that often and it would cost about the same so it isn't bad! Still would not ever buy one.

Batteries last on average over 10 years. Lots of aftermarket battery packs available for less than $3,000. Great car. Working at Toyota for 20 years & the Prius is one of the most dependable vehicles out there on the Toyota product line. 12volt battery in the rear hatch lasts 6-10 years just got back from a trip to NY & most the cabs are Prius or Camry Hybrids. Our cabs all had over 300,000 miles on them running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

I;ve read a lot of great reviews concerning the Prius. Have a good friend that buys a new one every five years. She lives in the mountains and commutes a hundred plus miles a day! Prius not good in snow and ice where she resides.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

I prefer the Fusion-C-Max birds.
Owned most of them except Hyundai.

I prefer the Fords over the Hondas too.
But I would have no issue buying a used Prius as long as it was well cared for.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Biggest issue seems to be the AC system.it cools the battery.no ac= can't drive the car.

Which generation? Gen II just has a cabin vent to draw air into the battery area; It is unrelated to the AC

If you are talking about "your area of 115F" perhaps people should consider the high temps, but that would be with any hybrid or electric vehicle.
could not tell you what gen. All I know is what people call us regarding the batteries and ac. We do not work on them as we are not set up or educated in them to do so.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Hey Eljefino ! Tell 'em about your old Prius. Worst I heard about was weak rings causing oil use after 150 K miles.
grin2.gif

1st one, have put 18k on it since it hit the road last Sept. Knock wood, just needed another wheel bearing. This is the wife's car. Her lifestyle expanded to fit an economical car, always shuttling the kids to violin practice and track meets. So it's mox-nix compared to the HHR, less driving, and cheaper gas last year.

Second one, throws a P0446 EVAP code which I havent dug too deeply into but still gets 52 MPG. Surface rust is starting to appear and I did some more front wheel bearings, an upper strut mount, brake lines and an e-brake cable to pass inspection. Neither burns noticeable oil.

Both have over 250k. The person who makes a good first owner is the type of person I want to buy a used car from.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: andyd
grin2.gif

1st one, have put 18k on it since it hit the road last Sept. Knock wood, just needed another wheel bearing. This is the wife's car. Her lifestyle expanded to fit an economical car, always shuttling the kids to violin practice and track meets. So it's mox-nix compared to the HHR, less driving, and cheaper gas last year.

Second one, throws a P0446 EVAP code which I havent dug too deeply into but still gets 52 MPG. Surface rust is starting to appear and I did some more front wheel bearings, an upper strut mount, brake lines and an e-brake cable to pass inspection. Neither burns noticeable oil.

Both have over 250k. The person who makes a good first owner is the type of person I want to buy a used car from.

Let me know if you ever want to buy mine.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Nope. Too complicated and expensive to fix.
Biggest issue seems to be the AC system.it cools the battery.no ac= can't drive the car. My cost on a hybrid ac machine is $8k which I'm not buying. Plus tax too low to the ground.id tear it up on my road

Typical BITOG answer. The truth of the matter is the Prius has proven to be one reliable automobile. I know several people that have them-then pass them on to their kids. Also-I can't tell you how may taxis/Ubers I have been in that were Pruis.

Last edited:
I bought one for 4k from the original owner. 160k on the clock. Original everything. Ran great, although battery was discharging faster then it should but that didn't stop the car from getting 50mpg for me. Sold it for $4,900 several months later.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one, as long as it passes my inspection.

My 07 has been reliable. Daughter has it now. I would take it back if she gets a new car. What the verdict is, is they are very reliable and cheap to operate and maintain. The ones who hated them and never owned one are still often the ones hating them now. Some people can't change an opinion no matter what. Around here they are very popular used. A good used Prius not salvaged is a great used car value.

My 2012 Prius V bought new, now has 72K problem free miles. The first year owned, wife and I drove cross country quite easily and very comfortably even though packed to the gills with daugther's belongings who moved from NJ to CA. The only uncomfortable stretch of drive was on the return leg getting up the Rocky Mountains on whatever main interstate we were on. Car was also packed to the gills on return trip because we offered to haul things back to NJ for a nephew. On that interstate highway large trucks passed me even as I had the pedal to the metal, lol.
A concern I had was the Prius V ability to handle snowy NJ winters, as my previous car, a Subaru Forester, now my son's with 260K, was always dependable in winter driving conditions. Interestingly, since owning the Prius V, there have only been one or two snowy winter days per year that I don't risk driving the Prius V, but other than that, once roads are plowed, it does just fine.
I have been fortunate to own or to have owned the '02 Subaru Forester and '12 Prius V and am a big fan of both.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Hard to believe but the Prius has been around for over 20 years since it’s release in Japan in 1997. So what’s the verdict?

I dunno, 20 years isn't that long. I'd give it a couple more just to be sure.

just kidding...

I like the concept. But I took my parents '17 out for a quick spin and didn't warm up to it. LCD's all over the place. I hit cruise in a 40mph zone, just to see what it'd do, and it flashed a warning to me about using cruise in a residential area! I immediately had a Jeremy Clarkson moment and have not wanted to get back into one again.

I recall reading an article about why Honda's rival failed to succeed, and the author pointed out that hybrid buyers (generally) wanted their cars to stick out. Well, I'm not interested in that; honestly, if it's going to have spaceship styling then I expect spaceship acceleration!

I'm sure I'll have one some day but sometimes I think I'd rather have a Mirage or even a Versa. Just for the mechanical feel of it. But then again, once fully autonomous cars get ironed out, and I can sit in the backseat and read a paper on the way to work, I might change my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back