Toyota Prius vs Hyundai Ioniq Styling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few pictures to compare Toyota Prius and Hyundai Ioniq Styling.

I much prefer Hyundai Ioniq exterior styling and interior detail over the new 2016 Prius. Performance/handling and MPG of the Ioniq are pretty much unknown as of now. Ioniq will come with 3 flavors: hybrid, plugin hybrid and electric(unknown range as of now).

I truly hate the instrument at center dash in the Prius(and in some other Toyota). Toyota thinks that passenger has a need to look at the car's performance ?

2016_toyota_prius_4dr-hatchback_four-touring_rq_oem_2_717.jpg

ioniq-a-leap-forward-for-hybrid-vehicles-exterior-1.jpg

2016_toyota_prius_4dr-hatchback_four-touring_d_oem_1_717.jpg

ioniq-a-leap-forward-for-hybrid-vehicles-interior-1.jpg

2016_toyota_prius_4dr-hatchback_four-touring_f_oem_1_717.jpg

2017-ioniq-undisquised-002-1.jpg

Some days I think about getting a hybrid, and what they look like isn't really much of a consideration.
That said, the front of the Prius is getting pretty wild. If its still the best car though, that's what I would get.

The exterior styling of the Prius doesn't bother me but the Hyundai is a littler nicer outside. The Hyundai is a lot nicer inside. I cross shopped the Prius before I bought my Camry but really did not like the Prius interior.

But I trust the Toyota hybrid engineering much more than Hyundai's.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I much prefer Hyundai Ioniq exterior styling and interior detail over the new 2016 Prius.

Historically, the owners of hybrids/EVs wanted their vehicles to stand out (I think there were some market research studies on that), and Prius did that. Whether it stands out in a good way or in a bad way is besides the point. But it does stand out so that everyone else can see that you're driving a hybrid/EV.

Now, with hybrids becoming more and more mainstream, I think the designs are finally getting more toned down to appeal to larger customer base that just wants a hybrid but does not care to manifest that all around. Ioniq is certainly a step in that direction, IMO. So are cars such as Camry, Accord, Fusion, etc.

I much prefer Hyundai Ioniq exterior styling and interior detail over the new 2016 Prius.

For now, i agree. I really do like the PriusC and current Prius styling though. This new one? I'll need to see in person and maybe it will grow on me like the PriusV.

I agree that Toyota botched the styling of the new Prius. I respect the tech, but boy is it ugly.

I much prefer the route Chevy is taking, making the Volt and the new Bolt look much more like "regular" cars.

Toyota has the best track record on hybrid drivetrains, and Hyundai has a pretty poor track record, so on tech alone I'd probably go Prius between the two. In reality, I'd choose the Chevy Volt over either.

I truly hate the instrument at center dash in the Prius(and in some other Toyota). Toyota thinks that passenger has a need to look at the car's performance ?

I've seen some people claim that it's actually in the center to make it easier/cheaper to build both left- and right-hand driver versions of the car.

But I also think it's dumb to have it in the center.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

I've seen some people claim that it's actually in the center to make it easier/cheaper to build both left- and right-hand driver versions of the car.

But I also think it's dumb to have it in the center.

Since the steering is need to move the lower dash is totally difference between right and left hand drive, at most manufacture saves a few coins. I think saving few pennies is not worth the ugly looking instruments.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Historically, the owners of hybrids/EVs wanted their vehicles to stand out (I think there were some market research studies on that), and Prius did that. Whether it stands out in a good way or in a bad way is besides the point. But it does stand out so that everyone else can see that you're driving a hybrid/EV.

Now, with hybrids becoming more and more mainstream, I think the designs are finally getting more toned down to appeal to larger customer base that just wants a hybrid but does not care to manifest that all around. Ioniq is certainly a step in that direction, IMO. So are cars such as Camry, Accord, Fusion, etc.

I'm not comparing 2017 Ioniq with 2015 Prius, these Prius pictures are the 2016.

Some may like the new Prius styling, but I don't I like Ioniq better.

Toyota may have better mechanical parts, but their exterior styling(and some interiors) of most newer vehicles (Lexus included), especially the front grill, are not what I like.

I'm not comparing 2017 Ioniq with 2015 Prius, these Prius pictures are the 2016.

I was referring to Prius in general. I find them all hideous, regardless of generation, but obviously it is very personal and subjective.

If the Ioniq proves to be a good vehicle then it'll undoubtedly cut into Prius ( and Leaf for that matter ) sales just due the fact that it'll be offered in hybrid, PHEV, and all-electric flavors. The newer technology of lithium-ion polymer batteries and and an interior/exterior that is more "normal" can't hurt.

My question is if hybrid drivers truly want to stand out in the styling department, how many are waiting to bite with something that's popularly stylish and offered in whatever configuration that suits them?? My bet is that as the range improves along with the technology and functionality, you'll hear less about Toyota's study of "look at me" styling and more about how they're becoming "regular" cars. The sales numbers might reflect that for the Ioniq...and it may be short lived with vehicles like the Bolt coming on-line.

That centered dash arrangement on the Prius would be a dealbreaker for me. If Toyota can prove that such a layout gets drivers' eyes back on the road faster, then OK, but if they only changed the traditional layout to be different it seems stupid. Anything that takes a drivers' eyes off the road longer than they need to be is dangerous.

Last edited:
There was a civic hybrid sedan ten years ago and it sold poorly. Noone knew it was saving the world.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There was a civic hybrid sedan ten years ago and it sold poorly. Noone knew it was saving the world.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Yep, Hyundai should probably make the Ioniq a little more crazy looking. Maybe a ring of LEDs around an angry alien jowl grille.

If that's a phone charger on the console in the Prius, they should move that to inside the console. Though I'm sure focus groups told them that distractions should be conveniently located.

Originally Posted By: shiny
That centered dash arrangement on the Prius would be a dealbreaker for me. If Toyota can prove that such a layout gets drivers' eyes back on the road faster, then OK, but if they only changed the traditional layout to be different it seems stupid. Anything that takes a drivers' eyes off the road longer than they need to be is dangerous.

Aside from personal preference and aesthetics, there is absolutely nothing wrong or dangerous about a centered dash layout.
I drove my in-laws Toyota Echo for an extended period of time and it's actually not a bad arrangement at all.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: shiny

Aside from personal preference and aesthetics, there is absolutely nothing wrong or dangerous about a centered dash layout.
I drove my in-laws Toyota Echo for an extended period of time and it's actually not a bad arrangement at all.

Thanks. That's good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back