Toyota Pink, I think

You can’t really go by miles as much as you can by time. The chemical reaction is taking place all the time.

True it is happening, but that reaction speed is GREATLY advanced when at operating temp. Time is much, much less a driver of reactions than temperature.

Let me clarify. Too many people only go by miles and neglect the time factor. From my wheel house, most
owners go way beyond the time restrictions by only going by miles driven.

Do not neglect time by focusing only on miles. I almost always hit the time restriction before I get to the miles.

That's why I am a big proponent of checking the coolant pH. Then you "know" the condition of the coolant.

I am asking for opinions.
I will hit 100k miles @ 15 months.
Here's the other side of the coin.
Is it too soon to change the coolant,
because the time is short ?

If you can't see on smartphones,
it is a 2019 Lexus UX 250h.

Thank you Gebo, Amkeer. At that, I intend to stick to the factory maintenance schedule religiously. ONLY Genuine Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (pink) will be used. I will start changing both the ICE and the Inverter coolants in my hybrid at 100k miles, then every 50k miles thereafter. Period.

Last edited:
I used to D&F my 2006 Toyota Matrix every 5 years (~30K miles) with Zerex Asian.
The old stuff would come out looking new.
Plan to do the same on my Hyundai.

Next week I’ll be changing the coolant in my 15 Tacoma 4.0L. I bought it with 30K, currently 98K. I’m assuming it’s original. Either way it’s got to go. I bought the Toyota pink. It was the same price as the other pink coolants.

We have a 2004 Camry with the original pink coolant in it have only added to it once or twice never changed it. I have changed it in cars that would come in and request it but other than that I haven’t. I just change it in my own stuff when it gets dirty occasionally.

I’m at 60,000 miles with my 2016 Toyota Avalon, I’ll change the coolant at 100,000 miles with genuine Toyota pink and call it a day until 150,000 miles. All I ever do is a simple drain and fill. No issues ever.

Drove a Lexus LS460 to 179,000 miles before trading it in...coolant changes at 100,000 and 150,000. Never an issue. Water pump never failed...and I was waiting for it too...figured I’d wait to change the serpentine belt until it did. It never did so I ended up changing the serpentine belt at 120,000 miles.

Honestly, Toyota’s are easy on coolant because the engines are built so well that they don’t leak often. Great gaskets, great sealing. No low coolant levels and air/acid situations. No overheating engines, misfires and generally poor running vehicles. You don’t see the head gasket failures you might see on some other cars on occasion. Makes for an easier life on all their fluids.

Back