Toyota parts vs aftermarket

I recently changed out my lower ball joints on a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. First off thanks for the help from those of you that responded to my posts.
the LBJ on the older Toyotas had some issues snapping so I’ve always read that OEM is the way to go for that part. I’m going to also change out the tie rod ends and sway bar links on the same vehicle. I know OEM is ideal but the price difference sometimes is shocking. For example, I can get two moog tie rods for a little less than the price of one OEM. Same goes for sway bar links. Those savings really add up BUT, not if they’re trash and I end up replacing them much sooner than OEM.
thoughts?

The only aftermarket steering parts I'll use are Sankei 555 since those are what Toyota used in the past. But the price may be to be similar to a discount online dealer for OEM parts. Partsgeek lists Sankei outer tie rod ends and sway bar links on their site.
I’ve seen parts geek suggested a few times on various forums but have never used them. Are they legit?

Okay but 1, I'll never buy critical steering parts on eBay. 2, Carid is about the same as Partsgeek. 3, yes I will buy on Amazon if the price is similar. And 4, no I'm not contacting them in Japan to buy parts.

I quit using rock auto. multiple times they shipped me the wrong parts and dealing with their email only customer service was a headache. Then they would try and deduct shipping fees for their mistake. Their shipping prices keep going up and their parts don’t last. I’ve had better luck with Amazon honestly but I try and go OEM if possible Although pricing can affect that.

It looks like with the free shipping toyota is offering I would only save about $20 using Sankei 555 parts.

CTR is a good brand. While they didn't make the factory parts, they are an OE supplier. 1/3 of new cars come with CTR parts from the factory. They are Korean.

I got my CTR parts from Partsgeek and had no problems with them. If you don't like the geeks, CTR sells directly on Amazon (look for CTR as the seller); they ship directly from CTR.

Their end links have a nut on the other end so you don't have to mess with that stupid hex key in the middle that likes to strip.

Yeah but try and find Sankei 555 parts anywhere else. At one time they appeared in some aftermarket brand boxes but not anymore.

Napa carries 555, albeit at a high price :(

CTR is a good brand. While they didn't make the factory parts, they are an OE supplier. 1/3 of new cars come with CTR parts from the factory. They are Korean.

I got my CTR parts from Partsgeek and had no problems with them. If you don't like the geeks, CTR sells directly on Amazon (look for CTR as the seller); they ship directly from CTR.

Their end links have a nut on the other end so you don't have to mess with that stupid hex key in the middle that likes to strip.

Napa carries 555, albeit at a high price :(
I’ve checked with Napa numerous times over the years and they are always higher priced. If I don’t buy online, I go to O’Riellys.

555 are good parts but these days they carry some risk and they are not cheap, OE from an online dealer may be close to the same price.

555.jpg

It looks like with the free shipping toyota is offering I would only save about $20 using Sankei 555 parts.
Ya that's what I've found with Toyota, the price difference between them and aftermarket is not that much. Now Honda that's another story (thinking of my project Civic car) they're nuts on some prices.. Not that it matters here, I'm just typing out loud.. lol..

there is so much junk out there in the aftermarket as others have said and I agree. Sometimes you can find decent stuff (for my project civic car).. But when you actually compare a Toyota part with aftermarket it's like Toyota is made in a different reality in terms of quality, it really is that much better and as you saw, $20 difference.. worth it in my opinion. It's really eye opening when you hold/look at both an aftermarket part and Toyota in terms of quality, strength, etc, I've done it many times.

if you're looking for a good online Toyota dealer I'd always recommend mcgeorge toyota parts in virginia..

At one time, Moog was the parts you wanted. Not any more.
I've yet to try Amayama. But when Japanese cars age, OEM and similar quality parts are difficult to source.

Back