Toyota oil filter on my Jeep?

The FJ and my jeep have filters with the exact same specs except that the jeep filter has a larger body. That larger body will not fit on the FJ. It hits the filter mount.

Any reason not to put the Toyota filter on the Jeep? If it is good enough for a 4.0L Toyota why not a 4.0L jeep?

Less filter numbers to keep around lol

Toyota filters have a thicker than average can and deeper and probably longer media, it’s something people overlook because Toyota I guess sounds so alien on a Ford or Jeep. Very little wasted space in the Toyota filters, so smaller outside might not be smaller inside. I would say no reason not to use.

What’s the thread size on the filter mount? The 4.0L Jeep I6s can use a 3/4-16 or M18x1.5 filter. Toyota except on Subaru or Mazda built models uses 3/4-16.

3/4" x 16 = YES
18mm = NO!! Do not do that!
Yeah, thats what I was going to say. Those are 2 totally different threads, and while the M18 may fit on there, it will end up working it's way off.

To the OP, no issues using a smaller filter if not doing an extended drain interval.
Not sure on how long the Toyota filter is, but I know the Fram sized PH3600 filter that fits the Toyota is longer than the PH16 size filter, just not as large a diameter. Actual filtration area is probably not that much different between the 2.

I have always debated trying a PH16 size or even a PH8a on my Scion just for giggles (It looks like it has the space for one).

Yeah, thats what I was going to say. Those are 2 totally different threads, and while the M18 may fit on there, it will end up working it's way off.

To the OP, no issues using a smaller filter if not doing an extended drain interval.
Not sure on how long the Toyota filter is, but I know the Fram sized PH3600 filter that fits the Toyota is longer than the PH16 size filter, just not as large a diameter. Actual filtration area is probably not that much different between the 2.

I have always debated trying a PH16 size or even a PH8a on my Scion just for giggles (It looks like it has the space for one).
I am currantly running a ph3600 size on the toyota and it will fit the Jeep perfect.

I am currantly running a ph3600 size on the toyota and it will fit the Jeep perfect.

Should work perfect. I ran PH3600 size on my XJ Cherokee for a few years without issue, and cutting them open they looked good. I can't run them on my 98 TJ because the filter comes straight out of the block on a downward angle towards the tub, so a longer one won't fit. I think on the 2000+ engines they come straight out horizontally and a PH3600 should fit.

Is the spec’d filter the xx3614 vs the xx16? I see you’re running the 3600. I’ve run the MC equivalent (FL400s) on my Jeep as few times. Pretty uneventful.

Anyways, zero issues at all.

Back