Toyota OEM vs Amsoil Ea Filter for 10k interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chad8
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: The Critic

At $16/filter, the Amsoil EaO15k01 is serious $$$ compared to the $5 per OE Toyota filter. However, even if I go through another 20 oil filters, an extra $220 over the life of the car is not material anyway.

Thoughts?

From the same company that brought us sludge engines? Sure I trust Toyota. Not.
Yup, the Camry in our "fleet" with 300K on it sure can't be trusted.

First of all I just paid $7.52 for Wix from Carquest for the Avalon. I'm doing a short run clean thing, just to show you I don't always use Amsoil - PLUS I just did a year plus run on a older Mann on the Volvo, so I do run other filters long as well.

My point? 10K. Piece of cake. Choose either filter. The EaO does filter better (no Amsoil just didn't make up the results guys) but you need to decide if that makes a difference in wear. It does, but you need to decide.
grin2.gif

I have owned 2 of the "Sludge motors" in my sienna vans as well as our family owning 2 more. My best friend is a senior tech at the largest Toyota dealership in Mi. Here is his thought and he works on them all day. Yes there is a sludge problem in the 3.0 motor caused by customers not changing oil at proper intervals and using the wrong oils. .This has been well documented. The prius has no problems with its motor.In fact , it is one of the worlds cleanest running motors.
So ,no it does not need your fine , but over priced filter.

Originally Posted By: chad8
Originally Posted By: The Critic

At $16/filter, the Amsoil EaO15k01 is serious $$$ compared to the $5 per OE Toyota filter. However, even if I go through another 20 oil filters, an extra $220 over the life of the car is not material anyway.

Thoughts?

From the same company that brought us sludge engines? Sure I trust Toyota. Not.

First of all I just paid $7.52 for Wix from Carquest for the Avalon. I'm doing a short run clean thing, just to show you I don't always use Amsoil - PLUS I just did a year plus run on a older Mann on the Volvo, so I do run other filters long as well.

My point? 10K. Piece of cake. Choose either filter. The EaO does filter better (no Amsoil just didn't make up the results guys) but you need to decide if that makes a difference in wear. It does, but you need to decide.
grin2.gif

I have owned 2 of the "Sludge motors" in my sienna vans as well as our family owning 2 more. My best friend is a senior tech at the largest Toyota dealership in Mi. Here is his thought and he works on them all day. Yes there is a sludge problem in the 3.0 motor caused by customers not changing oil at proper intervals and using the wrong oils. .This has been well documented. The prius has no problems with its motor.In fact , it is one of the worlds cleanest running motors.
So ,no it does not need your fine , but over priced filter.

There are dealer employee reports on Toyota Nation of vans appearing in their shops with the original FACTORY installed oil filter in place and 20,000 miles on the clock. There is apparently a new "he man" tradition hereabouts of not paying a second's worth of attention to the "little lady's" car. Sludge--- for brains.

I don't think Mann makes a fleece filter. Well at least I don't think so.

I was mostly referring to the European applications, rather than the Purolator Manns. There are a number out there. UG_Passat mentioned Benz. I've also seen crosses that fit various Audis. My Audi had the "normal" Mann specified for it, but there was also a fleece filter that fit, with a slightly different part number and about triple the price.
wink.gif

I use nothing but fram orange oil filter ph3614 and toyta oem 90915-yzzd1. My car is 268,000 miles and keep going.

oci is mostly 3k-5k.

Toyota--51% vs. Amsoil---98.7% efficiency at 20 microns...
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx

And this appears to be confirmed by a previous forum members particle count comparison....

"The comparative particle counts for my 2001 Toyota Sequoia with 159,000 total engine miles, using Mobil 1R0W-30 engine oil are as follows:

OEM oil filter PC vs. Amsoil EaO57 Oil filter PC
>4 Microns = 1,817 particles, 128 particles
>6 microns = 990 particles, 70 particles
>14 microns = 168 particles, 12 particles
>25 microns = 34 particles, 2 particles
>50 microns = 3 particles, 0 particles
>100 microns = 0 particles, 0 particles

Both samples had 1,550 miles on each filter. The OEM sample was new oil, Amsoil sample with 1,500 miles on the Mobil 1 engine oil.
The ISO cleanliness is reduced from 18/17/15 to 14/13/11 with the Amsoil EaO oil filter. I would have been very happy with 1 or 2 number reductions.. A 93% reduction in particulates is, well, as in going from no filtration to having a filter.... This level of cleanliness *will* provide meaningful, long term wear reduction and attendant increase in component life, from my experience.
My used engine oil is cleaner than the oil which came out of the quart bottle..
George Morrison, STLE CLS
(NOT an Amsoil dealer, never have been: may become one with results like this, however)"

3/1/07, Bobistheoilguy forum, oil filters, post by GeorgeCLS
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=846034&page=1

***I just changed my Prius C factory equipped, made in Japan, Toyota Denso filter (#90915-10003) with an Amsoil EaO09 filter (now Ea15k09). I don't like the idea of all those extra metal particles circulating in the oil causing more wear.

reference:
http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbullet...gine%20wear.pdf

also note other studies proving better filtration = longer engine life/less wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yota4me
Toyota--51% vs. Amsoil---98.7% efficiency at 20 microns...
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx

And this appears to be confirmed by a previous forum members particle count comparison....

"The comparative particle counts for my 2001 Toyota Sequoia with 159,000 total engine miles, using Mobil 1R0W-30 engine oil are as follows:

OEM oil filter PC vs. Amsoil EaO57 Oil filter PC
>4 Microns = 1,817 particles, 128 particles
>6 microns = 990 particles, 70 particles
>14 microns = 168 particles, 12 particles
>25 microns = 34 particles, 2 particles
>50 microns = 3 particles, 0 particles
>100 microns = 0 particles, 0 particles

Looks like your UOA particle count backs up the other data showing that the OEM Toyota filters are not very effective below 25 microns.

The NZ engine isn't fussy with filters or oil. I have one and it takes the same filter as my lawn mower. I also recently removed the valve covers on daughters 02 camry se v6, expecting sludge given all the talk. No sludge, the cleanest shiniest parts I have ever seen on a valve train. 120k, unknown maintenance for 80k, now gets synthetic every 5k, with toyota fiter, or sometimes bosch. If you run short trips, cold engine all the time, and forget to change oil, you get sludge. A lot of Toyota owners neglect their cars on the theory it is a toyota and it doesn't need anything done to it ever. Like the 10k oil change interval, which I believe if you read the fine print, is for normal not severe use.

Did the Toyota guy really not bow on us soil? Personally, I don't care for bowing but aren't the japanese all about bowing and honor? That must speak volumes of how much they hate us. But we do love their cars, much better than our domestic garbage. If it weren't for their cars, Detroit would be a thriving metropolis almost like Chicago or NYC. Nah, more like Philly, Philly was similar in size to Detroit and was only slightly larger than Detroit at both of their peaks during the 50s.

I mean, I also have a ford only to support the domestic automobile companies but personallyI like the toyota car way better, it's solidly built

I was afraid to buy a sludge engine, but needed a van, and trusted Toyots, so I bought one any way. SUPRISE....I changed to oil as requierd or sooner and used M1 ans out 200K on the engine, trust me it's NOT THE ENGINE, it's the nut behind the wheel that causes sludge engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back