Toyota OEM Cartridge Filter, Cut Open 12,669 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Here's an OEM cartridge filter off of my aunt's 2016 Toyota Avalon, has the 3.5L V6 2GR-FE. 23,428 miles on the car, 12,669 miles on the filter. Filter was from a dealer oil change while on a trip in Montana last June, so it was also dealer bulk 0w20. I changed it 2 months ago but decided to get it out and take some pictures for the "Cut & Post". Used the Canon Rebel EOS T6, one of the first times I've used is so I'm an amateur, and the sun was at a weird angle.

2m343ux.jpg

2w7ivjs.jpg

ang5s5.jpg

smwt4p.jpg

161ly80.jpg

Interesting! I wonder what the engineers and mechanics think of the pictures. I'm a DIY without any knowledge of what I would be looking at. DCG

What are the white specks? Real or illusory? Otherwise, it looks good, much like he smaller Toyota OEM filter I removed with about 17.5k. Can you see anything else it caught?

Originally Posted By: CR94
What are the white specks? Real or illusory?

It's illusionary. It's just the fiberous aspect of the media.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
12,669 miles on the filter.

It still looks new... not even discolored!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
12,669 miles on the filter.

It still looks new... not even discolored!

The engine is still very new at 23,500 miles so not much soot and blow by in that engine.

What?! No end caps, no center tube... this is impossible!!! Oh right, the integrity of the filter comes from tight, even and plenty of pleating! What a concept.

Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: webfors
What?! No end caps, no center tube... this is impossible!!! Oh right, the integrity of the filter comes from tight, even and plenty of pleating! What a concept.
Yes. Other factors in its integrity and its relatively large media surface area are accurate placement of the resin where needed (and not where not), and not skimping on the radial depth of the pleats. (The media pack in cartridges with end caps tends to have smaller outside diameter and larger inside diameter---some brands worse than others.)

There's a center tube in the filter housing cap, which serves the same primary purpose as the center tube in a spin-on, at least with the Toyota (Denso) filters. On some others, the inside of the media pack is so far outside the center tube that the media isn't very effectively supported.

Why are you describing it as "cut open"? One advantage of cartridges is that we can easily inspect them before or after use with no cutting.

Last edited:
Oooooo nice and pretty, especially the last picture. Reminds of the Filtech Honda A01. Such an evenly applied resin on that end. Also looks like the engine isn't hard on oil even after such an extended interval.

It's a good time for engines with modern oils and pretty filters, thanks.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
... It still looks new... not even discolored!
Yes, about the same appearance as my Toyota filter that went about 17.5k miles. The media of a Purolator L16311 used subsequently in the same car for only about 9.5k turned much darker, almost black. Why the dramatic difference? Was the Toyota filter, due to its reputed low efficiency, failing to capture small black particles that the Purolator did? Or did simultaneously changing oil brands (from TGMO and Rural King=Warren Oil to Pennzoil) loosen up lurking deposits? Interestingly, at the splice of the used Purolator media, where oil could not pass through the media, it's a lighter color, similar to all of the Toyota media. There wasn't much difference in the color of drained oil.

My first Chinese Fram Tough Guard is in the car now. Any predictions whether it will come out clean-looking like the Toyota filter or black like the Purolator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back