Toyota OCI in europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
my canadian spec. 2004 echo. h/b calls for OCI of 5000miles/6months. I just found this in Toyota GB website which states OCI of 10000miles.

"Running Costs

Service intervals are set to 20,000 miles with only a half-hour check-up required every 10,000 miles in which the oil and filter are changed and other consumables are checked. "

What is going on here?

Is there a difference in oil grades or quality of oil required or recommended??

it does not say anything about synthetic. I'm still trying to find out what oil grade is recommended in U.K and Germany. The OCI is definitely 10000miles.

I checked Honda and Toyota in Great Britain and Australia, their service intervals are different than North America also.

I don't understand why there is a difference, the car is exactly the same. Isn't 100mph on the autobahn considered 'severe service' with non-synthetic?

For the small 1.0 and 1.3 liter engines in Yaris model, Toyota dealers use Castrol SLX 0w-30 here. Not sure if they use anything different for other models/engines.

I looked at http://www.bplubricants.co.uk/ and for both a Camry with a 2.4 litre engine and a Corolla with a 1.6 litre engine (just a couple of example) BP recommends their 0W-40 full synthetic oil.

Americans place great value on cheapness...the only thing better than 89¢ oil is 69¢ oil. They place no value on their time to get an oil change...except for the folks that expect that 89¢ oil to last the life of their ownership of the car! Europeans place much more value on quality and longevity, in my experience. Canada gets pulled along with most American things whether they like it or not.

Ken

I checked the BP site. The oil recommendations they give for NA are totally different than what they recommend 'for the rest of the world'.

we must just be so special
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by berge:
I checked the BP site. The oil recommendations they give for NA are totally different than what they recommend 'for the rest of the world'.

we must just be so special
grin.gif

Oh we're "special" all right. We're too shy to point out to the EPA that CAFE is a crock of s***!

Thanks to the Internet we can take a peek at what the SAME EXACT motor requires in Europe and the rest of the world, which is a direct contradiction to North American CAFE requirements.

Thank you Ken2 for helping to give us MORE ammunition on the North American CAFE and "Starburst" conspiracy!

I spent some time at the BP UK site and became enraged. All you HOnda owners may want to take note:

For the UK and the "rest of the world" - except here in NOrth America of course - there is a very wide range of lubricant specifications for Honda cars depending on ambient temp. I won't go into too much detail, but here is the general idea:

20W-50 above -10 C
15W-40/15W-50 above -15 C
10W-40
10W-30
5W-30

Note: The Honda H22A1 and H22A2 motor can ONLY use 5W-30 up to 0 C

0W-20 for "extreme" cold and up to 0 C depending on motor.

I checked for recommendations under a small Honda Civic motor, so I find it just bonkers that Honda recommends a 5W-20 year 'round here, but in other countries a 15W-50 or 20W-50, depending on ambient temp.

The Ford Focus has a general recommendation of BP "Visco 5000" 5W-30 with no mention of any xW-20 oils. BP does offer a 0W-20 oil, but make no reference to it in their Ford section.

Hey DrT, this getting you excited??

Then snooped around under other makers recommendations.

Apparently, you can buy the Chevy Corvette in the UK. I didn't even know GM exported that car except to the Mid East. Anyway, BP recommends their premium "Visco 7000" 0W-40 in the LS1 motor.

No mention whatsoever of using a 5W-30 in the LS1 motor. Maybe GM had better "enlighten" BP of the "proper" oil to use in the LS1??

I really love this forum. YOu learn something new almost every day. I am now ABSOLUTELY going to run Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-40 in my 2000 GMC Sierra with Vortec 5.3 V8 this summer. My last nagging doubts have been erased.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back