Toyota loses 7B(and its not UAW fault)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
Originally Posted By: hone eagle
Originally Posted By: Bamaro
They would have lost much more if they were saddled with the UAW contract that Detroit has. Its NOT about being pro/anti union. Its simply a fact that it costs Detroit thousands more to build an identical car based on union wages to some extent and benefits of current & former employees to a large extent.

Actualy not true,costs are the same now across the board,the links are on this board somewhere, dont make me find them :)

Actually, i beleive the BIG difference is the cost of labor per hour.
I think the big 3 are about $80 per hour while toyota's at $40.

Wrong tinkerbelle

Showing your adelesence again huh?

I was referring to TOTAL COSTS to the employer. Not the actual per hour rate to the employee. An employer must match ALL taxes, FICA, retirement, pentions, blah blah blah. Of course you wouldn't understand that though would you?
I got tired of waiting I got more so dont temp me .You can thanks for the education later

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I've said some good things about ford in this thread, and all you can do is go on and on about tinkerbell and all that B-S.
WTH is up overkill?

The Tinkerbell comment was directed at the discussion we've had in the past about the diesel vs gas and I REFUSE to go down that road with you again. It had NOTHING to do with the topic of this thread.

Quote:
Finally toyota makes a truck that CAN compete with the big boys, and all you do is bash on it. Probably saying stuff that you have no idea about as well.

I didn't bash it. I bashed your logic in the OTHER THREAD (not this one) and as I said, I am not embarking on that discussion with you again.

Quote:
I've never been a ford guy whatsoever

I think that is pretty obvious.

Quote:
(and probably never will be ), but i think they're headed in the right direction.

I believe that is the plan.

Quote:
Koodos to Ford for doing whatever it takes. Looks like they're improving the quality (finally), and getting their costs in line so they can afford to stay in business. This should start paying big dividends into the future for them. I mean, right now i'd assume most people are scared $hitless to buy from GM or chrysler with the situation they're in. I will bet that most will flock to the other auto makers first.
Just my two cents.

Overkill; now it's time for you to say something nice.

I really haven't said anything mean about Toyota.

Oh no. You'd never do that. Yeah, right.

I'm sorry Tink, but I really haven't said anything mean about Toyota in this thread at all.

Obviously, this thread being about your saviour, demigod and who the sun riseth and falleth upon losing money has got your panties in the twist, but other than bringing forth some questions about "corporate citizenship", I have not said anything BAD about Toyota.

Again, after our little trek into the land of make believe in the "my Tundra can out-tow a turbo diesel" thread, I am not willing to enter into a debate with you. Trying to get you to comprehend logic, common sense, how an internal combustion engine, turbo and a variety of other things work just gets way too stressful.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Please don't tell me 3Toyotas is trying to argue that his Tundra "out-tows" turbo diesels again.
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif

Not only did it outperfrom 0-60 times pulling 7500lbs, but it did better in the 60-0 braking, hill climb, and mpg in THEIR tests. The biggest test of all was the 60-0 braking with wet roads (towing & empty).

smirk2.gif
Not only have I read those tests, but I'm pretty sure I read the pickuptrucks.com test before you did; seeing as how I read it within the hour it was originally posted. What does that matter? It doesn't. But then again, neither do 0-60 mph times.

Fact is this; put a 10,000 lb. trailer behind a modern 3/4-ton+ turbodiesel and put a 10,000 lb trailer behind a 5.7 Tundra (we'll even give them trailer brakes) and let them loose on a 5,000 mile road trip that includes mountains, and that Tundra will have worked it BALLS OFF trying to do what the turbodiesel does with little effort. Get used to sustained 5,000-6,000 rpm pulls in the Tundra. The Tundra driver's nerves will be frayed and his pocket book lighter when he gets that fuel and (likely) repair bill, the turbodiesel's driver will step out yawing.

If all you are concerned about are 0-60 times while loaded, there are plenty sports cars that would annihilate the Tundra on that front. By your juvenile standards, I suppose a C6 Vette is not only a better tow vehicle than 5.7 Tundra, but also a turbodiesel as well.
smirk2.gif

Have you figured out how a turbocharger works yet?
spankme2.gif
Have you figured out how one would allow a diesel to hold O/D better than a Tundra could ever hope to?
LOL.gif

I'm definately not interested in 0-60 times either with MY TRUCK. But it's nice knowing how well it did.
Obviously, you didn't care to comment on the stopping distance comparisons. Why's that? After all, at rv.net they all stress the importance of GOOD braking don't they?
I'd say 20-40 feet shorter can mean the difference between crash or no crash, wouldn't you say?

You surely weren't thinking about a 10k trailer without brakes were you? That would be pretty stupid. Oh, btw The tundra would be at max capacity at 10k. Would your 3/4 ton turbo diesel be at max as well? I seriously doubt it, so the playing field would need to be equal. Something like 8k-tundra/10k turbo diesel, or max tundra/max TD. Mainly because according to you, the turbo diesel must be far more superior so it should be able to tow 25% more weight, while maintaining MUCH better mpg and keep the same speed. Right? This would be interesting to see ACTUAL comparisons here, that's for sure.

I really don't care how hard my truck has to work towing 10k, as long as it does what i ask of it. Which it does quite nicely.
I very rarely see 5-6k rpm's pulling my fiver, unless it's a huge grade. And at 70 mph or so in 3rd gear (holding speed i might ad on a hill), it can be in the high 4k rpm range.

Nurves freighed? I guess if you're a white knuckle type of driver to begin with, then yeah. Like those drivers you see with both hands on the steering wheel on the freeway, looking strait ahead looking like it's the first thing they've ever done. Those type of drivers, yeah i agree. If towing is second nature, then it shouldn't bother you at all. And it doesn't even phase me whatsoever, and i still yawn after a long drive while towing.
Oh, and Utah has quite a few mountains to say the least.

Fuel and repair bill? That was a good one there. Towing for over 20 years with toyota products, and i have yet to see a repair bill. And you were saying?
Real world towing mileage is quite close with a slight edge to the diesel. Maybe 1-2 mpg from what i've read up on.

As far as a turbo working, yes i understand it now thanks to your expertise. haha I do know they like to burn up quite often if the EGT's get too hot from what i've read. As far as holding in OD while towing; the tundra has 2 overdrive gears and yes, it holds on the flat in 5th just fine. When i come to a good hill, i just expect to drop a gear. No big deal to me, and i hardly even feel it shift. You see, the tundra has a HUGE trans cooler up front unlike the ford's i've seen which were half the size.
Now don't get your panties in a bunch on that. I've only seen a few fords, so maybe that's changed since then. Don't know, i don't pay much attention to ford's.

You truly are misinformed and delusional. One too many sips of that Toyota flavor kool-aid, I think.

I'm definately not interested in 0-60 times either with MY TRUCK.

ORLY?

Those so called goofy little japanese trucks aren't so little anymore my friend.
My 6k lb DC is putting out sports car numbers performance wise, towing and empty. The closest truck in the shootout was your humble GM dummax 3/4 ton.
Try low 6 second 0-60 times; 130' 60-0 stopping distances, not to mention it's at the top for crash test ratings. The almighty oil burners couldn't even match the performance. Not only that, but the tundra got the best mpg in the testing. Go figure.
Some of these numbers are better than your average 2500lb sports car.

Those little goofy japanese trucks......give me a break.

Quote:
But it's nice knowing how well it did.

Because you don't care right?

Quote:
Obviously, you didn't care to comment on the stopping distance comparisons. Why's that? After all, at rv.net they all stress the importance of GOOD braking don't they?
I'd say 20-40 feet shorter can mean the difference between crash or no crash, wouldn't you say?

Hey, lets disregard the fact that a Crew Cab Super Duty weighs almost 8,000lbs too. (7,986lbs for slammds15's '05). Because I'm sure that would have no impact on stopping distance.......

Quote:
You surely weren't thinking about a 10k trailer without brakes were you? That would be pretty stupid. Oh, btw The tundra would be at max capacity at 10k. Would your 3/4 ton turbo diesel be at max as well? I seriously doubt it, so the playing field would need to be equal. Something like 8k-tundra/10k turbo diesel, or max tundra/max TD.

No, a "level playing field" would have the net mass of both setups being the same. That would mean a 10K trailer on the Tundra and an 8K trailer on the diesel to make both "assemblies" the same total weight.

Quote:
Mainly because according to you, the turbo diesel must be far more superior so it should be able to tow 25% more weight, while maintaining MUCH better mpg and keep the same speed. Right? This would be interesting to see ACTUAL comparisons here, that's for sure.

It is rated to tow more weight, period. Once you step beyond the bounds of your truck's towing capacity, the diesel's performance becomes a touch irrelevant does it not? Since we would have to be working within the confines of the limitations of the Tundra's capacities to make an EQUAL comparison.

Quote:
I really don't care how hard my truck has to work towing 10k, as long as it does what i ask of it. Which it does quite nicely.

That's because you get rid of your vehicles every four years....

Quote:

Fuel and repair bill? That was a good one there. Towing for over 20 years with toyota products, and i have yet to see a repair bill. And you were saying?

BUT:

Quote:
Yeah, your chance at getting a lemon is very slim with a toyota product. I've had 14 since 88, and 1 has give me problems.

So there. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Pretty easy to have that kind of maintenance history with that kind of vehicle turnover......

Quote:
Real world towing mileage is quite close with a slight edge to the diesel. Maybe 1-2 mpg from what i've read up on.

As far as a turbo working, yes i understand it now thanks to your expertise. haha I do know they like to burn up quite often if the EGT's get too hot from what i've read. As far as holding in OD while towing; the tundra has 2 overdrive gears and yes, it holds on the flat in 5th just fine. When i come to a good hill, i just expect to drop a gear. No big deal to me, and i hardly even feel it shift. You see, the tundra has a HUGE trans cooler up front unlike the ford's i've seen which were half the size.
Now don't get your panties in a bunch on that. I've only seen a few fords, so maybe that's changed since then. Don't know, i don't pay much attention to ford's.

My Expedition has an extremely large transmission cooler, as do the Super Duty trucks. The "Torqueshift" transmission in the 'duty even has a built-in bypass filtration system.

Not trying to revive the argument started in the other thread (OK, I guess I am, but beyond this post, I'm not participating), but you are contradicting your info from the other thread with your posts in this thread....

In the past, our good buddy 3Toyotas actually made the claim that a 5.7 Tundra holds O/D better than a PSD does while pulling a load. I tried to explain how that is impossible, but I think the explanation went over his head.
LOL.gif

That's pure B-S and you know it.

You truly are misinformed and delusional. One too many sips of that Toyota flavor kool-aid, I think.

Okay, whatever you say ben. Nice comeback.

ORLY?

Those so called goofy little japanese trucks aren't so little anymore my friend.
My 6k lb DC is putting out sports car numbers performance wise, towing and empty. The closest truck in the shootout was your humble GM dummax 3/4 ton.
Try low 6 second 0-60 times; 130' 60-0 stopping distances, not to mention it's at the top for crash test ratings. The almighty oil burners couldn't even match the performance. Not only that, but the tundra got the best mpg in the testing. Go figure.
Some of these numbers are better than your average 2500lb sports car.

Those little goofy japanese trucks......give me a break.

Quote:
But it's nice knowing how well it did.

Because you don't care right?

Quote:

Hey, lets disregard the fact that a Crew Cab Super Duty weighs almost 8,000lbs too. (7,986lbs for slammds15's '05). Because I'm sure that would have no impact on stopping distance.......

Quote:
You surely weren't thinking about a 10k trailer without brakes were you? That would be pretty stupid. Oh, btw The tundra would be at max capacity at 10k. Would your 3/4 ton turbo diesel be at max as well? I seriously doubt it, so the playing field would need to be equal. Something like 8k-tundra/10k turbo diesel, or max tundra/max TD.

No, a "level playing field" would have the net mass of both setups being the same. That would mean a 10K trailer on the Tundra and an 8K trailer on the diesel to make both "assemblies" the same total weight.

Quote:
Mainly because according to you, the turbo diesel must be far more superior so it should be able to tow 25% more weight, while maintaining MUCH better mpg and keep the same speed. Right? This would be interesting to see ACTUAL comparisons here, that's for sure.

It is rated to tow more weight, period. Once you step beyond the bounds of your truck's towing capacity, the diesel's performance becomes a touch irrelevant does it not? Since we would have to be working within the confines of the limitations of the Tundra's capacities to make an EQUAL comparison.

Quote:

That's because you get rid of your vehicles every four years....

Quote:

BUT:

Quote:
Yeah, your chance at getting a lemon is very slim with a toyota product. I've had 14 since 88, and 1 has give me problems.

So there. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Pretty easy to have that kind of maintenance history with that kind of vehicle turnover......

Quote:

My Expedition has an extremely large transmission cooler, as do the Super Duty trucks. The "Torqueshift" transmission in the 'duty even has a built-in bypass filtration system.

Not trying to revive the argument started in the other thread (OK, I guess I am, but beyond this post, I'm not participating), but you are contradicting your info from the other thread with your posts in this thread....

Looks like to me you can't read; that's your problem i guess.

I said M Y T R U C K. Can you read that? MY TRUCK, not the truck tested.

The fact that the SD trucks are 8k lbs, they should be designed to stop within a fair amount of distance no matter how much they weigh. Especialy towing. After all, that's what they're designed to do isn't it? I'm sure it's not rocket science to be able to put larger rotors and calipers on, if the application requires.

Tell me why the playing field wouldn't be equal at max/max. You can't tell me you believe GCWR should be equal. Nevermind, coming from you i should expect that i guess.
Pickuptrucks.com doesn't know what they're doing then huh? Their tests had all trucks with a trailer weighing at 75% of max tow capacity. The tundra had 7500lb, and the oil burners had 10k. They beleive this to have been a fair test, and you don't. Funny.

Exactly, that's why a 75% max tow rating would be a fair test.

You're forgetting genius. I currently own 3 of those 14, which takes it to 11 total. Yeah, i do take pretty good care of my stuff and we used to drive A LOT. So each of those 11 rigs had over 75k on them when traded.
I sware you can't read or something. I talked about hot having a LEMON. Doesn't the lemon law come into effect when the vehicle is within the manufacturers warranty period? Or when the dealer repeatedly gets the vehicle in the shop 3-4 times for the same thing? If that's the case, i have NEVER had a lemon, & All were kept well beyond the warranty.

That's interesting about the ford trannys and a bypass filtration setup. That doesn't explain why ford has one of the worst transmission reputation's, along with chrysler. Gee, i wonder why?

I pull the trailer in my sig all day in O/D

That should be pretty easy when you only have 4 gears, and a big turbo-charged oil burner under the hood.

In the past, our good buddy 3Toyotas actually made the claim that a 5.7 Tundra holds O/D better than a PSD does while pulling a load. I tried to explain how that is impossible, but I think the explanation went over his head.
LOL.gif

whistle.gif
No, no, I seem to recall you claiming something very much along those lines.

Enjoy:
grin2.gif

I really don't care how fast my truck is empty; all that does not excite me. Well, maybe once in a great while to blow away that hemi or titan. But what i use my truck for 90% of the time is towing trailers.

The 6.0 / 6speed combo has proven it cannot pull ANY slight incline in 6th gear.

Actually [my Tundra] does just fine staying in 6th most of the time. You forgot it's got a 4.30 rear end in it. NOt a car sized 3.43, that shouldn't be used for towing to begin with.

Pure [censored]? I don't think so.
LOL.gif

Read for yourself: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1413955&fpart=13

Heh..I've had 5 cars since 1995, and 2 of them I still own.

LOL.gif

whistle.gif
No, no, I seem to recall you claiming something very much along those lines.

Enjoy:
grin2.gif

I really don't care how fast my truck is empty; all that does not excite me. Well, maybe once in a great while to blow away that hemi or titan. But what i use my truck for 90% of the time is towing trailers.

The 6.0 / 6speed combo has proven it cannot pull ANY slight incline in 6th gear.

Actually [my Tundra] does just fine staying in 6th most of the time. You forgot it's got a 4.30 rear end in it. NOt a car sized 3.43, that shouldn't be used for towing to begin with.

Pure [censored]? I don't think so.
LOL.gif

Those were talking empty, and the 6.0L/ 6-speed combo happens to be GM's GAS motor. No mention whatsoever on the diesel.

So i'm still calling [censored].

Those were talking empty, and the 6.0L/ 6-speed combo happens to be GM's GAS motor. No mention whatsoever on the diesel.

If that's the case, then my apologies.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: mstrjon32

You realize that Ford also builds cars and trucks in "UAW" plants? If the "UAW" is so bad, how could Ford possibly succeed?

Seriously, get a grip.

Ford has a friendly relationship with the UAW...unlike GM. Look at the worker productivity numbers at Ford compared to GM. You won't even believe it is the same union. GM management is nothing but complete bafoons...all 110% idiots since Roger Smith was CEO.
i as a gm/uaw employee i have to agree 100% they are running the company into the ground. all the upper management needs to get the boot at gm. the are stuck in the 60's. in my plant we have a supervisor for every 7 hourly. wow that is just bucking stupid. i have alot of time and i love the people i work with but i am looking for another job.

Originally Posted By: novaracer69
Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: mstrjon32

You realize that Ford also builds cars and trucks in "UAW" plants? If the "UAW" is so bad, how could Ford possibly succeed?

Seriously, get a grip.

Ford has a friendly relationship with the UAW...unlike GM. Look at the worker productivity numbers at Ford compared to GM. You won't even believe it is the same union. GM management is nothing but complete bafoons...all 110% idiots since Roger Smith was CEO.
i as a gm/uaw employee i have to agree 100% they are running the company into the ground. all the upper management needs to get the boot at gm. the are stuck in the 60's. in my plant we have a supervisor for every 7 hourly. wow that is just bucking stupid. i have alot of time and i love the people i work with but i am looking for another job.

REad it and weap guys.

So, too many cheifs and not enough indians huh?

That'll do it everytime.

Ford's doing pretty well now, take a look at the fordinator posts and you'll agree.

If that's the case, then my apologies.
grin2.gif

Thanks fordinator. hahaha

Looks like to me you can't read; that's your problem i guess.

I said M Y T R U C K. Can you read that? MY TRUCK, not the truck tested.

Looks like you can't read what you wrote.

But you said:

My 6k lb DC is putting out sports car numbers performance wise, towing and empty.

Those are both references to YOUR TRUCK, NOT THE TRUCK TESTED.

Quote:
The fact that the SD trucks are 8k lbs, they should be designed to stop within a fair amount of distance no matter how much they weigh. Especialy towing. After all, that's what they're designed to do isn't it? I'm sure it's not rocket science to be able to put larger rotors and calipers on, if the application requires.

The best brakes on the planet will only stop a certain amount of weight within a given distance. Lets pretend for a second (because this could very well be the case) that the Tundra and the F-250 have equally capable brakes. Now, using the same sized contact patch on the road, the truck that weighs 2,000lbs MORE is going to take a greater distance to come to a stop. This is basic physics. Objects in motion tend to remain in motion unless acted upon by an equal or greater force. The larger the mass, the more it takes to stop it.

Think about it. Does the Tundra EMPTY stop in the same distance as it would with 2,000lbs in the bed? No? Then why would you expect an F-250, with the same sized contact patch to the road as the Tundra, to stop within the same distance given its severe weight penalty? We aren't comparing the Z06 to the Cobra-R here; cars with similar weights with differences in suspension tuning making up for the difference in braking distance, we are talking about TRUCKS.

Quote:
Tell me why the playing field wouldn't be equal at max/max. You can't tell me you believe GCWR should be equal. Nevermind, coming from you i should expect that i guess.

If somebody is performing a test of a vehicles stopping distance and acceleration, YES, the weight of the ENTIRE PACKAGE should be identical to give useful numbers. And the differences in weight should be indicated in the text as well.

If the numbers are presented as being the MAXIMUM numbers for EACH package, then it should also be presented as such and should be a SEPARATE TEST.

Quote:
Pickuptrucks.com doesn't know what they're doing then huh? Their tests had all trucks with a trailer weighing at 75% of max tow capacity. The tundra had 7500lb, and the oil burners had 10k. They beleive this to have been a fair test, and you don't. Funny.

I don't believe a "performance shootout" is of any real use with a pick-up truck at all. And quite frankly, a lot of magazines don't know what they are doing. But not being a member of any automotive enthusiast group, I am sure you are unfamiliar with just how often magazine tests can be wrong and the severity of the misinformation sometimes presented. I'm not saying they are all bad, but it happens.

Quote:

You're forgetting genius.

Interesting statement.

Quote:
I currently own 3 of those 14, which takes it to 11 total. Yeah, i do take pretty good care of my stuff and we used to drive A LOT. So each of those 11 rigs had over 75k on them when traded.

You stated yourself:

Over 21 years, that is not a lot of vehicles between 2 people considering we each had our own car. It actually figures to be a new car every 4 years or so per person.

That is not a lot of mileage. Two of my current vehicles have SEVERAL TIMES THAT on them, and one of them is older than your stated vehicle ownership time-frame!

Quote:
I sware you can't read or something.

I believe the topic of your own literary skills and comprehension level could be a thread in itself.

But hey, lets let this thread degenerate into personal attacks, that always solves things.

Quote:
I talked about hot having a LEMON. Doesn't the lemon law come into effect when the vehicle is within the manufacturers warranty period? Or when the dealer repeatedly gets the vehicle in the shop 3-4 times for the same thing? If that's the case, i have NEVER had a lemon, & All were kept well beyond the warranty.

Your first few posts in that thread MIGHT have been about your "hot lemon", or rather the lack thereof, but the remaining 24 pages were the argument everybody seems to know you for.

Quote:
That's interesting about the ford trannys and a bypass filtration setup. That doesn't explain why ford has one of the worst transmission reputation's, along with chrysler. Gee, i wonder why?

For a few FWD transmissions, especially during the 80's and early 90's, I would agree. Unfortunately, Ford doesn't make an FWD pick-up truck, and the 4R75W, 4R100, 5R100 (Torqueshift) are all touted as being very reliable transmissions with a solid reputation for durability.

Your argument is kind of like me condemning the engine in the Tundra because the Sienna has sludge issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back