Toyota loses 7B(and its not UAW fault)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Easy answer, RECESSION. Folks loosing their jobs and nobody buying new cars.

I think the point he's making is everyone is quick to point out GM's "problems" but whenever there is bad news from the golden boys in the Pacific, it's everyones fault but their own.

Yes, but a lot of it is dumb stuff like building a plant for a huge pickup truck that isn't as capable as its competitors, but burns more gas just looking "tough." And finishing the plant mere months before gas prices shot to $4/gallon.

Let's just say this... the big 3 WISH they only lost 7 billion over the past quarter... I think GM alone has lost $98 Billion over the past 8 quarters (quite a bit of that came from tax payers)... think about that. $98 BILLION.

The house next to my rental property was purchased for $79k. It was put on the market a couple years later for $225k. The price slowly dropped as it sat unsold till it got down to $150k and it was a short sale at that price. The house was a short sale with a listing price $71k over what it was purchased for.

Home equity loans? Who knows.

My cousin's husband is an indy mechanic specializing in German nameplates. His business in Dana Point is booming right now due to a new interest in maintaining vehicles rather than buying new ones every couple years.

People are holding off on big purchases, even the ones with a secure job.

Others realize that getting a new car every two years to keep up with the Joneses is financial suicide.

no offense to the poster above the fat chunk of profit from the short sale.but this rare, unless u bought it we'll before the irrational price appreciation, huge loss is the only thing that can happen.
home equity loans are good if u are disciplined. but why pay interest anyway?
bak on topic: toyota took stock and restructured manyyrs bak. remember those turbo starlets.
they became a leaner co but made some good and bad decision.
yes even [censored] car cos make bad decisions.

I find it odd that everyone here seems to be so dead set against buying new cars to "keep up with the jones'", but everyone is an expert on what all the car companies are doing wrong.

Maybe some people are tired of driving [censored] cars that break down all the time. Maybe we're in the middle of a recession?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: genynnc
Let's just say this... the big 3 WISH they only lost 7 billion over the past quarter... I think GM alone has lost $98 Billion over the past 8 quarters (quite a bit of that came from tax payers)... think about that. $98 BILLION.

See this is the kind of - lump em all together- lazy thinking we should strive to stop.The big 3 never were, Chyrsler-smallest by far ,nimble but too small, screwed over by everybody (including Bob Eaton)GM too big to change in current conditions(look out Toyota getting what you wish for is not always a good thing)
Ford horse s**t luck, just the right size and a brillant CEO, lost less than projected.
Thanks panthermike

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: panthermike

That's a lot of money!

According to LLN, Ford only lost 1.8 million in the first quarter;

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-reports-better-than-expected-first-quarter-financial-results.html

That is correct. Ford has worked to seriously reduce its losses.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

That's a lot of money!

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-reports-better-than-expected-first-quarter-financial-results.html

Yes they are.

Oops, just realized when I posted that, I said 1.8 million, should be 1.8 billion, not bad at all!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

That's a lot of money!

Yes they are.

Oops, just realized when I posted that, I said 1.8 million, should be 1.8 billion, not bad at all!

It was actually only 1.4!

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Yes, but a lot of it is dumb stuff like building a plant for a huge pickup truck that isn't as capable as its competitors, but burns more gas just looking "tough." And finishing the plant mere months before gas prices shot to $4/gallon.

Beg you pardon?

I'd say they put a TON of money into the Texas government and community when building that plant. Not to mention the hundreds of jobs created, and a ZERO waste facility i might ad.
Isn't as capable as it's competitors you say? Sounds like you're somebody that hasn't done any homework to back up that comment. For your information, when the truck first came out it was the best performer of ALL trucks tested including the new diesels. AND i might ad, did it with BEST mpg out of them all as well.

I want to know, what have you been smokin lately?

I agree, the plant was bad timing. But don't go blabin about things that aren't true until you know the facts.

Another fact for you. MY tundra 4x4 gets 19-20 mpg hiway, and 15/16 around town. And you say they burn more fuel? I'd say that's [censored] good mileage for a 400 hp 6k lb truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back