Toyota/Lexus 3.3L V6 Water Inlet (Valley) Plate Coolant Leak

The intake manifolds removal on a 3.3L is a PITA, there are some bolts that hold the housing to the rear and almost blindly you will have to remove and put it back. No fun.

The Lexus is much simpler since the entire manifold is held with studs w/o the bolts to the rear (or atleast that is what I have seen on the 3.5L when I extended my arm behind the manifolds).

Oh yeah, replacing the plugs is when you really wonder how hard it is on a Highlander vs. Lexus. You pay a 10K more for ease of replacement on a Lexus from plugs, mounts, LCA etc.
I just did rear valve cover gasket on my sisters Highlander. Absolute nightmare. I’ve done that coolant hose in the valley also. That wasn’t a peach either. When I had that air plenum off I did rear plugs and replaced all the coils also. It was my moms car at the time and it hit 200k miles and I didnt want her stranded.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
that rear valve cover gasket is a real joy isn’t it. At least for the 3.3 it was for me.
It really wasnt that bad in my opinion...i just tripled up on the foam pads I was laying on and just soldiered on.

Now the power steering pressure line from the pump to the rack...that sucked

It really wasnt that bad in my opinion...i just tripled up on the foam pads I was laying on and just soldiered on.

Now the power steering pressure line from the pump to the rack...that sucked
well thats exactly right. I was just frustrated as heck trying to keep the new gasket on the cover while trying to get it on while fighting that huge wire loom.

well thats exactly right. I was just frustrated as heck trying to keep the new gasket on the cover while trying to get it on while fighting that huge wire loom.
The dealer gaskets fit tightly. If you use Fail-Pro, well, use a few dots of super glue and glue the gasket to the cover.

Last edited:
These f..ckass jobs stick with OEM!! Seriously not worth the cost advantage. Same goes with the rear air-fuel sensor another class act. My daughter totaled my Highlander so no more of that gripe

Back