Toyota Landcruiser oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My uncle has a Landcruiser wagon with 127,000 miles on it. The truck runs good, but burns some oil. What oil would you guys recommend to slow the consumption down a little bit? The vehicle has'nt had the best of care. Thanks a lot.

What model of Land Cruiser are we talking about? Generally the earlier series engines pre 1993 like heavier weight oils. I would switch to at least a 15w-40 heavy duty oil or perhaps for the summer a 20w-50 oil. Land Cruiser motors should not be using any oil at your mileage, so if the consumption is high it has been neglected. You might consider changing the PCV valve as this affects oil consumption in 2F, 3FE, and 1FZ-FE motors. Also the pan gaskets tend to leak so make sure you arn't loosing it there. With good care, Land Cruisers last for a long time. My 3 have an aggregate near 500k miles and all have original motors and use little oil. Bring the maintence on yours up to date and see what happens. 127,000 in a Land Cruiser is just the beginning.

Andrew
'76 FJ40
'84 FJ60
'97 FZJ80

btt

So the 3F likes the heavier oils....how 'bout the 1FZ-FE?

I have a '97 I just bought. I am in the early phase of an AutoRx clean and am debating which oil to run. I am seriously considering S7000 Schaeffer's in either 10W-30 or 15W-40.

The spec sheet on the 10W-30 gives a range of 10-12 cSt. Anyone know what the typical is? That is a pretty wide range!!

Who wants to make a recommendation? I do not like running long drains, but I want a robust oil. I am leaning toward the S7000 15W-40 for use in Houston April through November and the 10W-30 December through March.

Tim

If you want conventional, cheap and widely available, how about Delo 400. I buy it by the case at Costco and run it in both of my older cruisers. It should keep your motor nice and clean for minimal cost.

While this is not a reccomendation, I run Mobil 1 15w-50 in my 1997. The climate here is mild and the Cruiser seems to like it. I do 5000 mile drains and use 0-0.5 quart in that interval. This is the weight reccomended by Toyota Australia for this motor in my conditions. I'll let you know in 10 years if it was a good plan.

For Tim-make sure your axle maintence is up to date. Depending on mileage you likely need a knuckle rebuild and a wheelbearing R&R on all 4 wheels. Don't neglect the transfer case either-it only takes 1.8 quarts and takes 5 minutes to change out. I use the Mobil 1 75w-90 in that application.

Thanks Cruiserdrew.

The diffs and transfer case got fresh Mobil 1 75W-90 6,000 miles ago. The tranny has had three drain/refills with Mobil 1 ATF in the last 15,000 miles (looks and smells new coming out).

The birfields are ready for a re-pack. Amazing, this cruiser has 117,000 miles and there isn't any diff lube seeping out at the knuckles. Guess the seals are keeping stuff where it belongs!

This vehicle (actually an LX-450) was a soccer-mom mobile. I looked in all the hard to get at spots where junk collects off-road...none. The owner said it had never been off-road and I believe it. It has the lockers, too!

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back