Toyota Hybrid Breaks Down, Towed Off Track...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great way to promote a vehicle...
grin2.gif

http://jalopnik.com/5261006/toyota-hybrid-breaks-down-towed-off-track-before-nascar-event

My friend has a Prius and it has left them stranded 4 times. Toyota can't seem to find the problem.

Originally Posted By: tig1
My friend has a Prius and it has left them stranded 4 times. Toyota can't seem to find the problem.
Toyotas aren't what they used to be!!!

Originally Posted By: Steve S

I hear from allot of different people Toyotas aren't what it used to be.

My neighbor has a 04 Prius..Though it hasn't left them stranded yet they had over 1500 bucks worth of work done on it since they bought it brand new in 04..The car has 60K miles on it now..Luckily they took out a extended warrenty on it for 1000K bucks so they got their moneys worth out of the extended warrenty.

BTW Toyota charges 800 bucks for their 30,60,90K mile service for the Prius...Thats what they charge down here in the jungle anyway.

I'm sure they could have quietly pushed the Highlander off the track, but instead they hooked it up to a Chevy tow truck, and with an F150 as spotter, hauled it off in front of 100,000 jeering NASCAR fans. How funny is that?

Maybe they are what they used to be...

http://www.cars-directory.net/history/toyota/crown/

Quote:
As a publicity stunt to demonstrate the car's reliability, Toyota did what many American automakers had done earlier; they staged a coast-to-coast endurance run from Los Angeles to New York. As things turned out, the Toyopet was barely able to limp into Las Vegas before the project had to be called off...

56.gif

They're EXACTLY what they've always been... people are just discovering that they aren't what they *thought* they were.

grin2.gif

Seriously, they're good cars but a whole generation of clueless yuppies truly believed that they were PERFECT in every way. Nothing can live up to that. They're cars, they break down.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
I'm sure they could have quietly pushed the Highlander off the track, but instead they hooked it up to a Chevy tow truck, and with an F150 as spotter, hauled it off in front of 100,000 jeering NASCAR fans. How funny is that?

Yes maybe that were making a little jab at Toyota with the towing specticle..........
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

They're EXACTLY what they've always been... people are just discovering that they aren't what they *thought* they were.

grin2.gif

Seriously, they're good cars but a whole generation of clueless yuppies truly believed that they were PERFECT in every way. Nothing can live up to that. They're cars, they break down.

Yes, and this board has a generous helping of Toyota zealots on it as well. Some of their posts about other brands are rooted in so much fantasy and make-believe that it makes one want to wretch.....

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
I guess that you dont talk about a Ford being towed away because that really is not news....It is just very common....

See, that's the kind of richard-craniumed comments I'm talking about.

EVERY manufacturer will have failures. It is the nature of products produced and engineered by HUMAN BEINGS. It is the "holier than thou" attitudes of some of the import zealots, and then blood-boiling comments from the peanut gallery like those above that cause a lot of people to leave this board.

If I wanted to hear endless rantings by import fanboys I'd join an Import board. Since I don't, and this isn't an Import board, keeping brand zeal in check should be a somewhat logical decision by those running the show..........

Last edited by a moderator:
No actually the original comment was richard craniumed... It seems that the sligtest bad news from Toyota or Honda is big news on this site by some.... But when it is a Ford or GM or Chrysler there are a bunch of excuses why the info is wrong and they are the best cars ever....

No actually the original comment was **** headed... It seems that the sligtest bad news from Toyota or Honda is big news on this site by some.... But when it is a Ford or GM or Chrysler there are a bunch of excuses why the info is wrong and they are the best cars ever....

Original comment as in the OP's post, or the one I quoted? Because I would agree with you on the OP's post being somewhat snide, but not 440's, which I felt was quite reasonable, which is why I quoted and agreed with it.

I don't feel any auto manufacturer walks on water. My personal PREFERENCE is Ford vehicles, and I feel they have some strong products in their stable. They have also made a number of not so great products over the years as well.

I feel Toyota, and every other auto manufacturer can be categorized in the same way.

I guess that you dont talk about a Ford being towed away because that really is not news....It is just very common....

You should be kicked of BITOG for that comment.
Where's Helen...

Just joking, everybody has their say, which is fine.

I think the same thing about Chevys....

grin2.gif

But that has nothing to do with Toyota. It's the yuppies (or fill in whatever group you wish) that believe that the car BECOMES perfect because they own it.

Their perfection is transmuted to the car. It's a form of social alchemy.

Quote:

BTW Toyota charges 800 bucks for their 30,60,90K mile service for the Prius

No, the dealer does. My 30K interval service on my !echo! is $350, includes MT drain + fill, plugs, coolant drain + fill, oil change, air filter, break clean et al; this all in the $$ Northeast.

I supposed I won't mention my fathers $900 repair to his LS traction control @ 50K miles...

Last edited:
No actually the original comment was richard craniumed... It seems that the sligtest bad news from Toyota or Honda is big news on this site by some.... But when it is a Ford or GM or Chrysler there are a bunch of excuses why the info is wrong and they are the best cars ever....

It looks like the
grin2.gif
wasn't understood.

I don't consider this big news, stuff happens. Brand new vehicles from every manufacturer have problems sometimes.

Toyota frequently touts reliability in their advertising, and they have plenty of fans who seem to think they can do no wrong...so yes, it is ironic and funny to see a brand new Toyota promotional vehicle take a dump on the track. I never said "all Toyotas are unreliable" or anything like that, but it seems like you can't say anything remotely negative about Toyota without some people gettting very offended.

FWIW, none of my Fords has ever been towed, unless you count the time I buried my old 2WD truck past the axles in a mud hole. My trucks haven't even had jumper cables hooked up to them except to jump other vehicles off. Some other Fords happen to be junk, but I don't get offended if someone brings that up. It happens...we are talking about mechanical devices with thousands of parts.

grin2.gif

I keep pondering this. I think you're basically correct, but I keep seeing the traditional buyer of domestics assigning personality or ego ..or "image" into a car. I can't ever see that with someone buying a Camry. Even the trucks, I don't see the "overbearing" image that they provide. FJ-Cruiser? Sure. I'd say it's the same with Honda. What possible ego or bravado can one broadcast with a Civic?

I'm talking the mainstay volume of sales and the customers that produce those sales. Not the V-TECH fast and furious types. When I think Toyota ..I see Camry. When I think Honda, I think Civic.

I'd say that the Asian offerings attract people that have a much more rational perspective on cars. Whether it's founded in perceived or realized quality or not is another issue, but I don't think that they're people who consider a vehicle an extension of themselves.

Gary - I agree. The majority of Japanese buyers are sterile. I mean they see a car as an appliance and Camrys are plain cars. Japanese cars lack soul. The majority of American car buyers want more and consider cars as an extension of themselves. I see European car buyers as more car people too in terms of wanting an exciting car. These are just my observations and are by NO means factual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back