Toyota Hybrid Breaks Down, Towed Off Track...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Not really all the different from the "I'm doing my part for the US worker" had by those who buy domestic right.

As I said in my earlier post, this is a common phenomenon. How it's manifested varies. But the general form is the same. I'm doing my part by buying _______. If you are not buying what I'm buying, then you are part of the problem, not the solution.

The blank could be Toyota or GM, hybrid or suv, car or truck, domestic or foreign.

You may be right about 99% of Prius owners. It just seems odd to single them out when we have so many other variations on that same theme right here on this board.

What's wrong with buying American?

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Not really all the different from the "I'm doing my part for the US worker" had by those who buy domestic right.

As I said in my earlier post, this is a common phenomenon. How it's manifested varies. But the general form is the same. I'm doing my part by buying _______. If you are not buying what I'm buying, then you are part of the problem, not the solution.

The blank could be Toyota or GM, hybrid or suv, car or truck, domestic or foreign.

You may be right about 99% of Prius owners. It just seems odd to single them out when we have so many other variations on that same theme right here on this board.

What's wrong with buying American?

Nothing is wrong with buying American.

No body said it's bad to buy American.

What is in play is the general format of the argument. For every item, as I said before, there will ALWAYS be someone who says if you buy _________, instead of __________ you are part of the problem, not the solution.

Those two blanks can be Foreign and Domestic or SUV vs Hybrid. There are always groups that are offended by the purchasing decisions of others.

Some here are arguing that Prius owners, using that argument are smug, etc. They take offense or are critical of that type of smug argument.

I asked what is different between a Prius owner using that format, or someone who says you must buy American and if you don't then you are part of the problem. That too is a form of smugness. So to be consistent, we must also take offense at those who smugly say one must buy American if we take offense at the smug prius owner. Otherwise we are inconsistent and hypocritical.

If we find it offensive for the Prius owner to use that format, why don't we find the Buy American form of that very same argument offensive.

If we find one offensive, but not the other, then we are hypocritical.

I never said there was anything wrong with buying anything.

My point is entirely about the hypocrisy of those who chide one group for using the argument, while using the same argument in a different form to champion their pet cause.

The fact the the Toyota Matrix holds its valve much better than the identical Pontiac Vibe proves that people who buy a Toyota will pay more no questions asked for perceived quality and they know little about cars.

The GM warranty is also better for the same exact car.

GM's current problems do not change this fact since it has been going on for years.

Or it means that with far more GM dealers than Toyota dealers, the Toyota dealer doesn't have to be "as desperate" for a sale.

There are many variables to this, not just the ones you've mentioned.

The other thing is do customers who typically visit Pontiac dealers look for cars like the Vibe?

They could be selling them as CAFE credits. So while the OTD price of the car is less, it could be SAVING Pontiac, letting them sell something else and keep the CAFE figures up.

The bottom line is it's not so simple.

Well, I guess nothing will SAVE Pontiac. I meant to say selling Vibes may have saved Pontiac from paying fines for not meeting CAFE.

I was talking about used car values....Not dealer prices.

Toyota doesn't even make a sporty car any more. A camry coupe is really not sporty.

No rear drive cars either.

Boring and safe is more profitable, I guess, in todays car hating society. I don't think I could ever buy a Toyota, but at this rate I may not be able to afford a car I like... Sporty, powerful, BMW like ride/handling.

The Genesis actually may be ok, although I don't think it will sell well. I would buy it over any Toyota, but I'd rather or coulda had a G8.
ha!

I'm currently up to my neck in Honda's b/c of my CR-V. I bought that car in 2002 and have had exactly 2 issues with it in that time, the a/c and the cat/o2 sensor going out. While I was stuck replacing suspension bits on my SAAB 900 or keeping sludge vigil over my 9-5, the V just kept on ticking. For 6 of it's 7 years, it racked up nothing but hard, in-town miles without issue. My wife's car breaking down (no doubt while transporting the kids around) was one less thing I had to worry about.

When we bought the Odyssey, we really considered a Yukon for patriotic, price-related, and style reasons. But we couldn't get into one that met our needs for a price we could afford. Our Odyssey has everything the Yukon had for $14k less.

As for the Fit, well, I liked the Fit and the Insight and wated to look at them. I had good experiences with the Cobalt but by this time I was a.) worried about GM's financial health, and b.) worried that I would regret buying a Cobalt when the Cruze is just around the corner. I must say, with the discounts I've been hearing about, I regret not looking at a Focus. But...we thought GM would be offering discounts on those Yukons that never materialized. I have a feeling I just wasn't going to get a screaming deal anywhere considering the economy in my part of Louisiana is in a relative boom.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I don't feel any auto manufacturer walks on water. My personal PREFERENCE is Ford vehicles, and I feel they have some strong products in their stable. They have also made a number of not so great products over the years as well.

I feel Toyota, and every other auto manufacturer can be categorized in the same way.

QFT. I wish more people (on both sides of the issue) would be this rational. We're mostly all "car people" here; we all like cars. Having a favorite brand can be practical and fun, but there's no point in being irrational about it and unconditionally dumping on every other brand (especially when nearly 100% of recent cars are objectively very high quality).

And for the record (not directed at OVERK1LL's post of course), while I only know (in person) two Prius owners, neither of them are "smug" about their car at all. One bought Prius after having good luck with a 300k miles 4Runner, and the other after his Camry was totalled. Just happy repeat Toyota customers, not wackos or agenda-pushers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back